Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 850csi

850csi Senior member

Yeah, my dress code at work is a little weird [and unfortunate] - I pretty much have to wear a tie every day, but I don't have to be in a suit. I don't yet own a single blazer [working on that], so I end up wearing dress pants + dress shirt + tie (I know, I know - tie without a jacket = bad look. I'm working on it). Even on days when I need to be in a suit, my boss is definitely fine with something that doesn't necessarily call for black cap toes.

The only shoes I can't return are the burgundy Sanfords (got them off of eBay slightly used for $70. Been wearing them a lot out of necessity and the price was great, but honestly I'm not sure I'll ever buy a pair of bluchers again - I just vastly prefer balmorals).

The other two A-Es I have (black PA + walnut 5th) I got during the 2/$250 sale and haven't worn yet, so I could swap them both if I wanted to. I know the general consensus is Walnut -> Strand. I also have a pair of unworn black Magnanni cap toes that I can return.

So basically my first-world problem is three-fold:

1) Are the Magnannis worth the $130 I paid for them? If so, I can keep them and definitely send back the PAs for something else.

2) If not, do I send back the black PAs regardless? (i.e., even though black isn't my favorite color and I don't need black cap toes very often if ever, is it a bad idea to not have a single pair of black dress shoes?)

3) Do I swap my walnut FAs for walnut Strands? I'd like my shoes to be as versatile as possible, and walnut Strands probably win there.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2013

2. 850csi

850csi Senior member

I can second this as well, 13D in last 7 definitely feels totally different than in last 5.

3. Dillardiv

Dillardiv Senior member

I think you have a few options.

Option 1: Involves saving $130. Return the Magnannis and go with brown PAs and walnut Strands. Walnut strands are super versatile and I think many will agree that they wear them in many different situations. The brown PAs allow you to have a more formal shoe when necessary, but one you'll wear more than a black PA. For the most part, a brown PA will work in every situation that would normally call for a black PA, other than a black suit/tux.

Option 2: Keep the Magnannis as your black cap toe. It's not as "nice" of a shoe as a PA, but if you aren't wearing it much anyway, it won't matter as much. It will definitely fit the bill for anytime you wear a charcoal/grey/black suit.

Then you can use the 2 for $250 to buy two pair of shoe's you'll wear a lot. That could be walnut Strands and brown 5th Ave maybe? Maybe a brown loafer of some type if you don't wear suits very much? Brown loafers would look nice with chinos and a blazer in my opinion. You can decide what you like, but I'd definitely go with walnut strands regardless of which option you go with.

Just my $0.02.

4. ScottyBoy920

ScottyBoy920 Senior member

Interesting they would create a Dark Blue Neumok... there really isnt anything drastically different than the current version they have in their line. I wonder if its a different type of leather- I know my MTO Neumoks were made with a darker blue leather that is nothing like the inline Neumok.

Anyone have a live action shot of the Green and Red Neumoks?

5. GeneralW

GeneralW Well-Known Member

He doesn't have the option of picking Brown PAs or FAs.

6. Dillardiv

Dillardiv Senior member

Ah, I didn't think about availability from the Shoe Bank when writing that post.

7. BCer

BCer Senior member

As to the 'darker blue' Neumoks, I'm wearing my 'regular' blue ones today, and after some conditioning-lotion, mine are every bit as dark as the webgems. But what I do see, is that the stitching appears almost white on the webgems, versus beige/tan on the originals. Only difference I see.

[​IMG]

8. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

The Webgem has white welt stitching, and traditional single leather soles, rather than the butyl leather sole that the Neumok has. The colors may or may not be much different, but one is called "dark blue" and one is "navy." Their photos are notoriously inaccurate, but for what it's worth, they do look like slightly different colors.

9. YoungSweet

YoungSweet Senior member

Agree with many comments on this topic, I have both the Black PAs and Walnut Strands and found myself wanting to wear the Strands more in my rotation. I end up wearing a pair of Black Kenneth Cole with black suits more than the Black PAs.

10. 850csi

850csi Senior member

Yeah that's a good point about a brown PA(and FA?) working in pretty much every situation that would call for a black PA. I also already have a half brogue in a dark color (the burgundy Sanfords).

When you say the Magnannis aren't as "nice" as the PAs - are we talking mostly about bologna construction vs goodyear welting or the quality of the leather? I think I actually like the shape of the Magnannis more for a plain cap toe than the PAs, though I'm not sure they'll ever be as comfortable. I'm also not sure they're really worth $130.

No brown Parks, but I have the option of a Brooks FA in Brown. Basically, if I'm going Brown + Walnut, I can decide which is a Strand and which is a Fifth Ave. I pretty much have to choose between two of the following:

Black PA
    Brown FA
    Walnut FA
    Brown Strand
    Walnut Strand
    (all BB seconds)

Last edited: Oct 30, 2013

11. Dillardiv

Dillardiv Senior member

When I say "nice" I was talking about leather soles, goodyear construction, and other details. I can't speak to the quality of the leather, but I'm assuming it's higher end. I suppose "nice" wasn't the right word. "Higher-end" is probably a better way to think about it. I briefly checked them out on the Nordstrom website, so if I'm incorrect on any of that, apologies.

From that list, I'd go brown FA and Walnut Strand if I was choosing for myself. People will disagree, but I don't think there are many practical difference btw brown FA vs PA in terms of situations where you would wear one vs. the other.

12. TurboTropic

TurboTropic Senior member

Any AE suggestions for someone new to loafers, for a business environment? Looking for something contemporary. Thanks

13. AdamAdam

AdamAdam Senior member

E doesn't have a current plain cap-toe blucher/derby, does it?

14. spitshine123

spitshine123 Senior member

Closest thing would probably be the Clifton or the RL Slaton

15. DerangedGoose

DerangedGoose Senior member

Do you guys think it would be possible to somehow color the red brick sole of the black eagle county to black? I dont know why they chose red. Its the most affordable AE boot for me right now ($139 seconds) and I love the look of the bayfield but dont want to pay MTO for it. Am I SOL?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.