Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GeneralW

GeneralW Well-Known Member

Instead of brown wingtips I'd recommend the McAllisters in Merlot. IMO the best color choices to begin with would be,
    PA - Black
    FA - Brown
    McAllister - Merlot
    Strand - Walnut

2. stgrim

stgrim Senior member

Exactly my thoughts, these would be the perfect combination of the 4 evergreen "timeless classics" AE styles

3. cincikid

cincikid Senior member

It's probably the country's smallest AE store in the same building as the Alden store, I believe.

4. Buddy0329

Buddy0329 Senior member

If you don't mind sharing, please clue me in as well. Thanks!

5. GOP Shoe Guy

GOP Shoe Guy Senior member

When you apply the chili edge dressing, use a clean rag and wipe of the excess. If you do not you will get a shiny look on the dressing when it dries. I apply it and quickly wipe it off. Looks great.

6. NWTeal

NWTeal Senior member

I believe you're thinking of the one on 44th and Madison. The one on 43rd is between 5th and 6th and is larger.

7. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Breaking in new Kenilworths today. Not a bad score for under 2 bills.

Cant wait until my burgundy shell version is finished...

[​IMG]

8. cincikid

cincikid Senior member

You're right. I was thinking of the 44th and Madison.

9. DJTraveler

DJTraveler Senior member

New Webgems are up. A mixture of holiday-themed and golf shoes. Not a big fan of this release.

[​IMG]

10. tietherope

tietherope Senior member

I really like that dark blue one. I just wore my blue Neumoks for the first time last week, but had I seen this first I would have returned them for this.

11. coolarrow

coolarrow Senior member

Larchmonts today:

[​IMG]

12. FreedBird

FreedBird Senior member

One of the new Allen Edmonds styles we should be seeing in the next release of Independence Collection shoes... I wish I was a size 9D...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. 850csi

850csi Senior member

I already have the Sanford in burgundy, so I think that's the closest I'm getting to Merlot McAllisters for now. Also, I'm pretty much limited to closeout Brooks seconds at this point. Basically, I can choose two of:

PA - Black
    FA - Walnut
    Strand - Walnut
    Strand - Brown

I think I might actually be a bigger fan of having Walnut 5ths and Brown Strands. To me, the biggest attraction to Walnut is the color, and in my mind a plainer shoe shows it off more. Anyone else think that makes sense?

14. GeneralW

GeneralW Well-Known Member

Ah I see, well PA in Black and Strand in Walnut seem to be the best choices IMO although I know you said you won't get much use out of the PAs.

In terms of showing off the color, I personally think walnut is too light and playful to be paired with FAs which a quite formal shoes, at least for your first pair that you're going to be wearing to the office a lot. However, if you don't want to keep the Black PAs then I guess Walnut FAs and Brown Strands are the only option.

15. mastrgdnsr

mastrgdnsr New Member

Having been through numerous pairs of AE looking for the right size, do whatever you can to try them on first. If trying one on isn't an option, try to find someone who has years of experience sizing people for shoes. Have them determine the following measurements (generally with a brannock)[​IMG]: 1) heel to ball 2) heel to toe 3) width Assuming you don't have a compromised fit they should be able to give you a decent gauge for the right size. If you do have a compromised fit, there's no substitute for trying it on. Once you have your size, call the folks at AE and ask them for sizing recommendations. They will know the shoe/last well enough to suggest a size. For those of us with oddly shaped feet, AE's free shipping is helpful considering the number of times it can take to get the fit right (albeit this comes with a modest increase in cost for shipping incorrect sizes back). Time and experience with the various lasts will reduce the number of exchanges. Best of luck
    This is good advice. I have a pair of Cliftons and a pair of MacNeils, and they are different sizes. Don't assume that the same size in different lasts will fit your feet.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2013

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.