1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Distinguished Member

Patrick, that's what I wanted to hear. I know I can't fit into the Players' narrow 2 last, and I've had my eye on the brown cordovan Strand on #5. I was about to mentally write them off if the 5 was similar to the 2 in width. Although I will say that I saw the Strand in person yesterday (did not have time to try them on), and just eyeballing them they looked a little narrow. Of course, I need to try them on at some point.

I also saw the MacNeil in burgundy cordovan yesterday, I was really impressed. It was much better looking in person than I expected.

2. patrick_b

patrick_b Distinguished Member

The only reason I considered the Players is due to their blucher lacing pattern. Balmorals like the PA's have never fit me . On a whim, I tried the Kenilworth and was pleasantly surprised. I'd hoped the same would be true with the players but it wasn't meant to be. I am absolutely infatuated with the Strand in brown shell but I don't *think* they'll work. Like you, I have to try them on to be sure.

With that said, I just bought the burgundy shell macneil so I really shouldn't even be thinking about another pair of new shoes right now...especially a shell version :). For reference, I went up a half size in the #7 lasted Macneil. The 11D was too snug in the toe, the 11E was way too wide. The 11.5D was a hair long but fit great in the toe and width.

Note, as we all know, the #5 last is always described as their longest and narrowest. My 11.5D Macneil (#7 last) has a shorter overall length than the 11D Kenilworth (#5 last).

Good luck in your search.

3. kmdsimpson

Ha, this is interesting. I had the exact same experience as you with my MacNeils in black calf - I had to size up. So I'm not crazy then. ;) I also have a wider forefoot and high arches.

Did you try the Clifton? That shoe fits me great; although similar in style to your Kenilworth.

But now I'm thinking the Strand won't work for me, either. I'll let you know if I do give it a try. But the MacNeil in burgundy cordovan wouldn't be a bad compromise.

...maybe the other silver lining is that I already have the CJ/RL PTB in the same brown cordovan as the Strand...

Last edited: Mar 5, 2012

4. g.michael

g.michael Senior Member

I couldn't resist--just placed my order for some Cappuccino cordovan McGraws. I will give a report upon receipt.

5. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Distinguished Member

have it, love the shape, but the heel wear is far too quick for me.

6. patrick_b

Ya big show off.

I know it's OT but can you post some pics of those? Perhaps you can prop them against at pair of AE's to keep it thread relevant :).

7. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Distinguished Member

Detailed report, if you will... :D

8. kmdsimpson

:D
    :slayer:
    LMAO.

My collection is nothing like yours, buddy!

9. kmdsimpson

Boy, it's scary pulling all your shoes out for a group shot. Good reality check on how much cash is being spent! Other than raw numbers, I am a pretty small timer. With the exception of the RL shells, almost all were acquired at less than $300 each.

I'll be liberal with spoilers to avoid cluttering the thread. Sorry for so-so pics. I also didn't bother to tie them all! I had no idea I have such a predilection towards bluchers!

Boots (l-r): Peal, Alden Indy, Trickers not-Stow, RL Lindrick
    [​IMG]

Bluchers (l-r): AE MacNeil, Peal, Peal, Peal, shell cordovan Duckie Brown for Florsheim for Brooks Brothers (questionable quality, though mine came out OK. There is a big thread on this - I recommend you avoid Duckie Brown):
    [​IMG]

Now the real deal: brown Clifton, C&J/RL Shell PTB, RL Sanderson (AE Williams?)
    [​IMG]

Clifton (brown) vs. C&J/RL Shell PTB: The C&J/RL PTB are the ones that were compared to brown shell Strands in bucksfans posts. Gateway to having your wallet sucked clean on RL Shell is this thread: http://www.styleforum.net/t/268417/...ran-lindrick-mccallum-rhett/1020#post_5227046

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Finally, some bonus pics. These are old J&Ms that I use as beater business shoes and more formal oxford appropriate. They are ~20 years old, made in the USA. My personal opinion is that these have much better proportioned captoes than the AE Fifth Avenue. I wish AE would do shoes more like these
    [​IMG]

10. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior Member

Great pics and nice collection! Those RLs are looking good, and surprisingly similar to the Clifton in silhouette. Thanks for taking the time.

11. patrick_b

kmdsimpson,
    Nicely done, thanks for all the pictures. bucksfan started a nice trend here at the AE thread. I'm really loving those RL PTB's and the suede longwings/Williams/Sanderson.

12. Shiny

Shiny Senior Member

With the $35 off deal over, what's the next promo? I'm hoping its that 2 for $200 deal.

13. kmdsimpson

Thanks! Your cordovan Strand and RL PTB picture makes me jealous, though.

Those suede Sandersons don't get nearly enough wear. They're on the 2 last, I think, but for some reason are more tolerable than the AEs I've tried on that last. Maybe the suede is more forgiving? I have no idea.

14. patrick_b

I think that's it exactly. I have the Alden suede chukkas on the Leydon last which fit great TTS. That last in calf and shell is a tough one for me.

15. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Distinguished Member

The suede AEs I tried on were very pliable, Amok and Neumok. These are unlined suede, but I still think there's more give.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.