Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

Patrick, that's what I wanted to hear. I know I can't fit into the Players' narrow 2 last, and I've had my eye on the brown cordovan Strand on #5. I was about to mentally write them off if the 5 was similar to the 2 in width. Although I will say that I saw the Strand in person yesterday (did not have time to try them on), and just eyeballing them they looked a little narrow. Of course, I need to try them on at some point.

I also saw the MacNeil in burgundy cordovan yesterday, I was really impressed. It was much better looking in person than I expected.

2. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

The only reason I considered the Players is due to their blucher lacing pattern. Balmorals like the PA's have never fit me . On a whim, I tried the Kenilworth and was pleasantly surprised. I'd hoped the same would be true with the players but it wasn't meant to be. I am absolutely infatuated with the Strand in brown shell but I don't *think* they'll work. Like you, I have to try them on to be sure.

With that said, I just bought the burgundy shell macneil so I really shouldn't even be thinking about another pair of new shoes right now...especially a shell version :). For reference, I went up a half size in the #7 lasted Macneil. The 11D was too snug in the toe, the 11E was way too wide. The 11.5D was a hair long but fit great in the toe and width.

Note, as we all know, the #5 last is always described as their longest and narrowest. My 11.5D Macneil (#7 last) has a shorter overall length than the 11D Kenilworth (#5 last).

Good luck in your search.

3. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

Ha, this is interesting. I had the exact same experience as you with my MacNeils in black calf - I had to size up. So I'm not crazy then. ;) I also have a wider forefoot and high arches.

Did you try the Clifton? That shoe fits me great; although similar in style to your Kenilworth.

But now I'm thinking the Strand won't work for me, either. I'll let you know if I do give it a try. But the MacNeil in burgundy cordovan wouldn't be a bad compromise.

...maybe the other silver lining is that I already have the CJ/RL PTB in the same brown cordovan as the Strand...

Last edited: Mar 5, 2012

4. g.michael

g.michael Senior member

I couldn't resist--just placed my order for some Cappuccino cordovan McGraws. I will give a report upon receipt.

5. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

have it, love the shape, but the heel wear is far too quick for me.

6. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

Ya big show off.

I know it's OT but can you post some pics of those? Perhaps you can prop them against at pair of AE's to keep it thread relevant :).

7. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

Detailed report, if you will... :D

8. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

:D
    :slayer:
    LMAO.

My collection is nothing like yours, buddy!

9. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

Boy, it's scary pulling all your shoes out for a group shot. Good reality check on how much cash is being spent! Other than raw numbers, I am a pretty small timer. With the exception of the RL shells, almost all were acquired at less than $300 each.

I'll be liberal with spoilers to avoid cluttering the thread. Sorry for so-so pics. I also didn't bother to tie them all! I had no idea I have such a predilection towards bluchers!

Boots (l-r): Peal, Alden Indy, Trickers not-Stow, RL Lindrick
    [​IMG]

Bluchers (l-r): AE MacNeil, Peal, Peal, Peal, shell cordovan Duckie Brown for Florsheim for Brooks Brothers (questionable quality, though mine came out OK. There is a big thread on this - I recommend you avoid Duckie Brown):
    [​IMG]

Now the real deal: brown Clifton, C&J/RL Shell PTB, RL Sanderson (AE Williams?)
    [​IMG]

Clifton (brown) vs. C&J/RL Shell PTB: The C&J/RL PTB are the ones that were compared to brown shell Strands in bucksfans posts. Gateway to having your wallet sucked clean on RL Shell is this thread: http://www.styleforum.net/t/268417/...ran-lindrick-mccallum-rhett/1020#post_5227046

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Finally, some bonus pics. These are old J&Ms that I use as beater business shoes and more formal oxford appropriate. They are ~20 years old, made in the USA. My personal opinion is that these have much better proportioned captoes than the AE Fifth Avenue. I wish AE would do shoes more like these
    [​IMG]

10. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

Great pics and nice collection! Those RLs are looking good, and surprisingly similar to the Clifton in silhouette. Thanks for taking the time.

11. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

kmdsimpson,
    Nicely done, thanks for all the pictures. bucksfan started a nice trend here at the AE thread. I'm really loving those RL PTB's and the suede longwings/Williams/Sanderson.

12. Shiny

Shiny Senior member

With the $35 off deal over, what's the next promo? I'm hoping its that 2 for $200 deal.

13. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

Thanks! Your cordovan Strand and RL PTB picture makes me jealous, though.

Those suede Sandersons don't get nearly enough wear. They're on the 2 last, I think, but for some reason are more tolerable than the AEs I've tried on that last. Maybe the suede is more forgiving? I have no idea.

14. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

I think that's it exactly. I have the Alden suede chukkas on the Leydon last which fit great TTS. That last in calf and shell is a tough one for me.

15. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

The suede AEs I tried on were very pliable, Amok and Neumok. These are unlined suede, but I still think there's more give.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.