Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Thanks guys, I appreciate that. Ive listed them up now, just called them "sterling" - forgive my naitivity in this thread, but whats a Webgem?

jungleroller, just pair with an equally flashy suit, like a pinstripe, and done!

2. MSchapiro

MSchapiro Senior member

That is a rip off. I used to live in Boston. Don't pay more than $25, $35 at most if it is including the heels and is vibram. Wasn't even that much in NYC.

There is a little shoe store near Coolidge Corner run by a man that barely speaks english (I recall an Armenian flag) that does very good work. They are very well priced too.

3. Shiny

Shiny Senior member

Looks good from here. Long Branch is a great boot. I agree with the other poster that said that you should apply some conditioner (although I have no experience with that obenauf product).

Keep in mind that Long Branch's are more of a casual boot. Meant to be abused and used in the rain/snow etc. Unless you got some with leather soles.

In terms of color, you can add darker polish to the lighter one over time and it will darken. Some folks here even use a product called neatsfoot oil to darken walnut shoes with good results.

4. jungleroller

jungleroller Senior member

That sounds pretty commanding! I get it.

5. evolved

evolved Senior member

A webgem is a special run of shoes from Allen Edmonds that typically lasts for a month.....special make ups, special leathers, etc.

6. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Guy was charging 40 for the just the soles. They were made in italy though. /sigh

I ended up paying 50 each to have them retrofitted with pretty gnarly lugged rubber soles. Not sure how he's putting them on but I'm certain he's not stitching the soles on. Sigh.

I don't live close to coolidge but I might have to make that trip. 100 dollars to get 2 boots resoled is a bit much. I'll see how much he charges if I bring my vibram soles in. The place I went to was in beacon hill. The place I went to in Davis square near my apt charged about 30 bucks for new heels.

Do you remember what the place in coolidge was called? Alton place maybe? I found that on yelp after a quick search.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2013
  7. AdamAdam

AdamAdam Senior member

The manager I've been working with at the AE store on State Street recommended Prospero's to me once if I needed work done. I can't say that I've used him yet (name is Max) but the Yelp reviews looked promising.

8. AdamAdam

AdamAdam Senior member

Sorry that the first run didn't work out. What size are you? [​IMG]

9. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

After mentioning it today, I just got the shipping notification for my snuff suede Amoks. Excited that they didn't get cancelled as some claimed that theirs may have been.

-Mike

10. AdamAdam

AdamAdam Senior member

A few pages ago someone was talking about lightening up a pair of brown calf. It got me thinking that there is a color gap in AE's brown offerings. I have two pair (Strand and McAllister) in walnut which are stunning and I love them. I also have a McAllister in merlot and I love that color too. I'm picking up a pair of dark chocolate Daltons next week and think that color is great. However, I've been wanting something in a brown in between walnut and brown. Other makers often call this antique brown, cognac, chestnut or something like that. Chili is too red and bourbon isn't really the answer either IMO. Something like this...

[​IMG]
    Courtesy of: http://edetal.sg/shop/cityhall-antique-brown/

versus AE dark brown:
    [​IMG]

I thought maybe it was just my monitor making these "other brown" leathers look something other than a standard brown but I've seen some of them in real life that have this tone. I've seen all of the AE colors in real life as well and the brown is dark and (to me) a bit plain. Some of the shell colors like cappuccino and walnut might fill this void but they are no longer available.

Thoughts?

11. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

What about saddle brown? A la Vernon?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 26, 2013
  12. mdavis534

mdavis534 Senior member

What about bourbon. Shade varies. I find it to be a good mid point between walnut and dark brown. I have a couple of pairs and like the color quite a bit.

13. salgy

salgy Well-Known Member

Look at the brown (not distressed) ashbury's... I think it is the shade you are looking for... I can post a picture tomorrow in between walnut & AE brown, but it's in between... You would have to have to do a MTO, but the colors right

14. MSchapiro

MSchapiro Senior member

May have been Alton. It's in a basement. Not surprised you ended up paying that much in Beacon Hill. Not a far walk from the BC line if i recall.

15. OptoDoc

OptoDoc Senior member

Patrick, your offer is very generous. I am constantly amazed by the goodwill of people on this board. However, I just saw this post and have already purchased 4oz through Amazon Prime last night.

I appreciate the sentiment, though. You're a gentleman and a scholar.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.