Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

For a single pair of boots, the 4oz bottle will last a long time. Depending on use, you may only need to treat them once or twice a year.

However, if you think you may end up with more work boots made of pull-up leather (see Whites and Viberg threads for reference), the larger size may serve you well.

Whites Boots: http://www.styleforum.net/t/219173/custom-whites-boots-thoughts/0_100

Viberg: http://www.styleforum.net/t/224463/viberg-boots/0_100

Last edited: Oct 25, 2013
  2. emmjayb

emmjayb Member

Not sure if this is the appropriate place for this (new poster) but today I received my order of Long Branch boots in Dark Brown. As you will see from the photos below, there is a distinct difference in grain (and colour, but harder to see and less fussed by that) between the two. I appreciate that the grain is part of this particular boot and that to some extent, variation should be expected and appreciated, but my initial reaction was that mine are too far off. Pictures do not actually show full extent of the difference. Do I go through the hassle of exchanging (keeping in mind that I am in Canada and will have to pay the costs of the shipping etc.)?

Thoughts?

Thanks much!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. cbtaylor

cbtaylor Senior member

Shell Dalton yesterday
    [​IMG]
    Ralph Lauren Illford today
    [​IMG]

4. OptoDoc

OptoDoc Senior member

Much obliged.

5. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Seems like this could become the stock answer for all the usual questions we get in this thread:

Q: How should I care for or polish my new AE's?
    A: They're your shoes. You bought them. You paid for them. You can do whatever you want with them.

Q: Can I wear my shell Dalton boots in the rain or will they be ruined?
    A: They're your shoes. You bought them. You paid for them. You can do whatever you want with them.

Q: Should I consider having a topy added to the soles of my new AE's?

Q: I just received my new AE seconds, and I'm crestfallen because they have a defect. Should I keep these shoes or return them?

Q: What is Allison's phone number at AE?
    A: They're your shoes . . . alright, maybe it doesn't answer every question.

6. Subutai

Subutai Senior member

Well done, amazing

7. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

I found myself drooling over the pics as well....then I realized I have the sme exact make-up at home! LOL. It's amazing what some nice photography can do! Well done, Patrick!

8. BCer

BCer Senior member

I received a pair of Bayfields yesterday (Lands End) that had a bit of 'funkiness' going on in places too - the inner panel of one boot was quite rough like you're showing. Last night I gave them a pretty good rub down with Obenauf's and it's much less noticeable.

9. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

How do you guys prevent creasing from turning into cracking?

Leather protectant applications followed by polish?

10. mdavis534

mdavis534 Senior member

Clean, condition & use shoe trees

11. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

Others who have done MTOs before me, I just got a second email from Allison this morning making it appear that my order has been charged against my credit card. Does that mean that they are done or near done and should be expecting a shipping notice here shortly?

-Mike

12. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

Pretty much. I would add that over conditioning will cause just as many problems as under conditioning. Also, brush your shoes before and after wearing to prevent microscopic debris from accumulating in the creases. This debris acts as an abrasive during walking and contributes to the wearing of the leather fibers. Over conditioning will keep enough oil in the creases such that debris gets "stuck" and doesn't brush out as easily. It's all about balance, doing your best, and enjoying the rest.

13. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

If she charged you, they are shipping. Typically the same day depending on the time of day.
    I would not hold your breath for a shipping notice. They are supposed to be sent automatically, but I never got one. I just emailed Allison and asked for the tracking info.

14. jungleroller

jungleroller Senior member

[​IMG]

ok seriously. Leather cleaner, conditioner, then polish and sometimes finish by waxing if your heart desires.

Edit for shoes trees always.

15. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

Sweet exciting! Kind of surprised these shipped so quick. I ordered them on Oct 2nd. I ordered the Snuff Suede Amoks the last day of their availability (Sept. 5ish) and still haven't gotten them yet.

-Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.