• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

JermynStreet

Reaction score
AE won't have to fill that same requirement. I'd assume that even if MW did buy AE, they would probably be sold in a similar way that they are through JAB (meaning online) with only very select stores having them in stock.

At the end of the day, I think that if MW owns the company, then MW is simply the bank account the profits are going into. Most everything else would probably be business as usual.
Agreed. One more thing that is worth mentioning-look at the trajectory AE has followed since being taken over in 2008; before then, there was a lot more polished cobbler, dinky oxfords, no matching belts, and certainly a dearth of exotic cordovan colors. Change has been, if anything, kind to AE over its lifetime. I would argue that installing Grangaard has been the most valuable move to happen to AE in its history. But for the PE company buying AE, we might have not had the incredible stuff we see today. Secondly, I see no reason to believe that we will move production off shore. AE's China strategy is dependent on keeping production in America-without it, the Chinese would lose interest in the product and AE will lose out on an enormous market opportunity.

Looking at the totality of AE's offerings, they have a good amount of the low end of upper tier shoes pretty well covered; if anything, their most logical direction to increase growth in the shoe market is on their upper end, and I would not be surprised if we see an increased focus on that. As younger AE fans have an increasing income, AE would be smart to try to leverage the existing loyalty and goodwill it has with consumers to start making shoes on par with Alden, C&J, etc. I agree, that right now, AE's top end offerings cannot compete with these "better" brands' quality reputation, however, with a well capitalized company like MW behind them, AE might be better positioned to penetrate the high end market. I, for one, have been very satisfied with my AE calf shoes. As a result, I have ventured into AE's higher end cordovan offerings on more than one occassion. If AE made shoes that were finished as nice as Alden, C&J, etc. (AE would probably would need to up the stitches-per-inch, leather quality, and finishing), and my income rises, I would willingly and happily be willing to give AE a chance, and I'm a 28 year old lawyer. I see no reason why AE can't grow in the upper end while still dominating the entry-level high end footwear sector.

I never hide my admiration for Grangaard and think that whatever company buys AE would be wise to keep him on and raise his salary signficantly. The fact that he was able to increase market share in a decreasing household-wealth economy (far more dangerous than a decreasing household-income economy) speaks to his abilities to move a product.

Bottom line-either way, I think the future is bright for AE, and as long as they keep making good quality shoes, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and always be willing to try their newer offerings.

Ad astra, per aspera.

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Looking at the totality of AE's offerings, they have a good amount of the low end of upper tier shoes pretty well covered; if anything, their most logical direction to increase growth in the shoe market is on their upper end, and I would not be surprised if we see an increased focus on that.
I've been confused by Allen Edmonds' attempts to move in that direction. Anybody remember the "Seven" line from half a dozen years ago, made in Italy for some reason and with a price to match? Then they debuted their Independence collection two years ago, which seems to be doing considerably better (in style and sales, at least). I'm sure there were other attempts in decades past.

JermynStreet

Reaction score
I've been confused by Allen Edmonds' attempts to move in that direction. Anybody remember the "Seven" line from half a dozen years ago, made in Italy for some reason and with a price to match? Then they debuted their Independence collection two years ago, which seems to be doing considerably better (in style and sales, at least). I'm sure there were other attempts in decades past.

Was Seven started under grangaard? All I know is that my dad is a pretty wealthy guy, usually only buying Churchs' (he still thinks they are good shoes), C&J, Aldens, Alden BB, Shipton & Heanage etc. His most recent acquisitions have been AE Cordovan Patriots and Independence Line tassel loafers (Adams I think?). He is very happy with both and keen to order more.

Perhaps the problem with Seven was its execution and lack of connection to the brand. the Indepedence line has an American ring to it much more valuable to its customer base than "Seven," which was touted for the fact that it was made in italy. Grangaard has kicked ass so far and I see no reason why he won't continue to in the future.

DJTraveler

Reaction score
Last edited:

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Was Seven started under grangaard? All I know is that my dad is a pretty wealthy guy, usually only buying Churchs' (he still thinks they are good shoes), C&J, Aldens, Alden BB, Shipton & Heanage etc. His most recent acquisitions have been AE Cordovan Patriots and Independence Line tassel loafers (Adams I think?). He is very happy with both and keen to order more.

Perhaps the problem with Seven was its execution and lack of connection to the brand. the Indepedence line has an American ring to it much more valuable to its customer base than "Seven," which was touted for the fact that it was made in italy. Grangaard has kicked ass so far and I see no reason why he won't continue to in the future.

Filing date on the "Allen Edmonds Seven" trade mark: 4/25/2007

Beginning date of Mr. G's tenure at AE, per his LinkedIn account: August 2008

...yup, can't lay this one on him. I agree, incidentally; every move Allen Edmonds has made with him at the helm -- with exception of clothing, which boggles my mind but I'm sure is somehow strategically important -- has been very well done.

ryansto

Reaction score
My two cents:

There are two scenarios in which a company "sells/ looks for additional capital": 1. The company is in dire financial straits and needs funding to stay afloat. 2. The company is growing at a strong pace, and needs more capital to continue this pace.

Under scenario 1, a new owner would most likely change the business plan, in an attempt to steer the company to profitability.
Under scenario 2, a new owner/investor would most likely support the current business model, as it has shown to be successful.

Lastly, two things give me confidence in this whole process:
First, I believe that AE is paying close attention to the customer response to this latest speculative news, including this thread, and the response has been clear.
The second... Paul G. Just from the interaction with guys on here, Reddit, and interview on TV, the guy seems genuine, transparent, and uncompromising when it comes to quality, service, and American employment. What can I say... I trust the guy.

NWTeal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First, I believe that AE is paying close attention to the customer response to this latest speculative news, including this thread, and the response has been clear.
The second... Paul G. Just from the interaction with guys on here, Reddit, and interview on TV, the guy seems genuine, transparent, and uncompromising when it comes to quality, service, and American employment. What can I say... I trust the guy.

I agree with the second point. While I'm skeptical, if Paul stays on as head of AE, I'll continue to be loyal to AE and trust that things will only get better.

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My two cents:

There are two scenarios in which a company "sells/ looks for additional capital": 1. The company is in dire financial straits and needs funding to stay afloat. 2. The company is growing at a strong pace, and needs more capital to continue this pace.

Under scenario 1, a new owner would most likely change the business plan, in an attempt to steer the company to profitability.
Under scenario 2, a new owner/investor would most likely support the current business model, as it has shown to be successful.

Their published data since Grangaard took over make Scenario 1 highly improbable. Unless this is a false dichotomy, that leaves Scenario 2.

USAmade

Reaction score
Here's the deal for all those are concerned... If you read the article, it is clear that the firm that bought the company in 2006 has held onto it long enough, and Paul has done an incredible job improving the bottom line, and taking the company to record sales growth, and they want to grow even more. In order to finance the expansion of the factory (I heard they are upgrading their Port Washington facility to add a whole new line of production for custom orders, special requests, webgem's etc) they will need $$$.

If they are looking to complete this expansion, and open new stores, they will need to get the money from somewhere...it's just common business sense. They have probably been talking to several other investors for a while now, whether they're venture capitalists, private equity firms, or other companies like Mens Warehouse... does it really matter?

They've been holding true to their American roots for 92 years, I think anyone would be an idiot to think that if they are bought by another company there would be a sacrifice in quality. this is simply a fundraising effort to fuel their growth, and lets face it, for us that means more stores, better distribution, no sacrifice in quality, faster production, and will eventually lead to lower prices, or at least unchanged prices despite this ****** economy.

The last thing they want to do is lose customers, so do you really think an aquisition would do that? No way!

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Someone posted about a sock of the month club earlier. I lost the link.

Anyone?

Bueller?

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's the deal for all those are concerned... If you read the article, it is clear that the firm that bought the company in 2006 has held onto it long enough, and Paul has done an incredible job improving the bottom line, and taking the company to record sales growth, and they want to grow even more. In order to finance the expansion of the factory (I heard they are upgrading their Port Washington facility to add a whole new line of production for custom orders, special requests, webgem's etc) they will need $$$.

If they are looking to complete this expansion, and open new stores, they will need to get the money from somewhere...it's just common business sense. They have probably been talking to several other investors for a while now, whether they're venture capitalists, private equity firms, or other companies like Mens Warehouse... does it really matter?

They've been holding true to their American roots for 92 years, I think anyone would be an idiot to think that if they are bought by another company there would be a sacrifice in quality. this is simply a fundraising effort to fuel their growth, and lets face it, for us that means more stores, better distribution, no sacrifice in quality, faster production, and will eventually lead to lower prices, or at least unchanged prices despite this ****** economy.

The last thing they want to do is lose customers, so do you really think an aquisition would do that? No way!

I was just going to say "agree" here too, but you already said it for me in your post above.
biggrin.gif

cincikid

Reaction score

While I don't think that this will happen to AE, for the sake of the truth, JM has been made in the US for way longer than that. Yet, it didn't stop their parent company Genesco from moving most of the production overseas.

Last edited:

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I heard they are upgrading their Port Washington facility to add a whole new line of production for custom orders, special requests, webgem's etc

I don't doubt it, but this is the first I've heard -- do you have a source? This would be utterly magnificent.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

While I don't think that this will happen to AE, for the sake of the truth, JM has been made in the US for way longer than that. Yet, it didn't stop their parent company Genesco from moving most of the production overseas. 

Good point. Most parent companies only care about one thing. The bottom line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads