• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottMC

Reaction score
Freeman's Sporting Club x AE Macneil. Navy suede, JR dovetail sole. Seconds. Scored on eBay for $175 free shipping :) Opinions?

cincikid

Reaction score
Browsing old catalogues... Can't figure out why AE has discontinued so many great models they had, like this one for example (from the 1980 edition).

Or this one:

I am probably thinking of the crepe sole in the anticipation of NJ rains in the next five months or so.

Last edited:

cincikid

Reaction score
Freeman's Sporting Club x AE Macneil. Navy suede, JR dovetail sole. Seconds. Scored on eBay for $175 free shipping
smile.gif
Opinions?

Nice shoe. I actually bought this very same shoe (assuming it's 10D) a few months ago when they advertised it as black. Since I already have a navy suede Stewart, I saw no reason of keeping another shoe in the same color.
Not to disappoint you, but if it is size 10D you could have bought it at $159 a few days prior to your purchase from the same buyer.

BCer

Reaction score

I don't necessarily share your view on this. In his interview a few years ago Paul said that AE has a unique niche on the market offering relatively affordable Goodyear welted shoes made of good leathers and of great quality. They don't seem to have competitors in their price range and their shoes are selling like the hot pies. What would AE to gain if it were to follow JM for instance? I am not a market researcher, but they would probably lose more than they would gain. There's more than enough cheap poor quality shoes on the market and I see no reason for AE to compete in that niche. Of course, it's hard to predict which scenario AE is likely to follow, but my hunch is that they are going to be OK in the long run. 

I have another wrinkle on this potential news. Would AE become the 'house brand' for Mens Warehouse? With over 1000 MW stores, if the AE brand becomes available at all those stores, what happens to production and quality? How much time would AE have for MTO's and cordovan models, if they're pumping out high volume to fill their 1000+ stores? Sorry, but I don't see it as a good thing. And if AE is owned by Mens Warehouse, would Nordstrom drop the line - being that they are competitors in the men's market? Nordstrom doesn't carry Mens Warehouse suits, do they?

ScottMC

Reaction score

Nice shoe. I actually bought this very same shoe (assuming it's 10D) a few months ago when they advertised it as black. Since I already have a navy suede Stewart, I saw no reason of keeping another shoe in the same color.
Not to disappoint you, but if it is size 10D you could have bought it at $159 a few days prior to your purchase from the same buyer. 

This actually is that same shoe, the seller unintentionally offered that 20% off sale a few days ago, so he set his store to vacation mode to prevent purchases. I asked about it and he told me it was an error, so he gave me 12% off, which is better than the 10% off he had a couple weeks ago. You will always find SF members in the furthest corners of eBay when there is a good deal to be had...

Last edited:

mxgreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have another wrinkle on this potential news. Would AE become the 'house brand' for Mens Warehouse? With over 1000 MW stores, if the AE brand becomes available at all those stores, what happens to production and quality? How much time would AE have for MTO's and cordovan models, if they're pumping out high volume to fill their 1000+ stores? Sorry, but I don't see it as a good thing. And if AE is owned by Mens Warehouse, would Nordstrom drop the line - being that they are competitors in the men's market? Nordstrom doesn't carry Mens Warehouse suits, do they?

I don't know if Nordstrom carries Men's Warehouse suits (although I doubt it), but Nordstrom's does carry Joseph Abboud. Joseph Abboud is owned by Men's Warehouse.

BCer

Reaction score

I don't know if Nordstrom carries Men's Warehouse suits (although I doubt it), but Nordstrom's does carry Joseph Abboud. Joseph Abboud is owned by Men's Warehouse.

You're right, good point. However, at sub $100 a pair, I'm thinking Joseph Abboud are not hand-made or Goodyear welted, and pumped out in high volume to fill 1000+ stores. How will AE manage that volume requirement? Streamlining of production processes? I'm worried...

WICaniac

Reaction score

Read the JS article and you'll note CEO Paul G. is interested in growing the company, to include its operations Port Washington. I think people are allowing their disdain for MW to cloud their judgment on this (which, BTW hasn't happened and may never come to pass). The firm that currently owns AE has already held it longer than its typical investments, so a sale to someone at some point seems inevitable. JAB already sells AE, so I doubt this would prompt Nordstrom to drop the brand (it would probably mean the end of AE at JAB, however, unless it succeeds in its efforts to buy MW). Nor do I foresee AE becoming a "store brand" that loses its value. Despite being purchased by Sears, Lands' End (another WI company) retains its brand identity and value. Were Sears to fold, it would have no problem selling off LE (which it has already contemplated as a means of raising cash). In either case, the principal effect of the acquisition is more retail outlets, more sales, and more revenue.

V1KTA222

Reaction score
Thanks for the opinions, guys. The boots aren't a requirement really, but a suit with dress shoes are. I haven't been able to find any oxfords that my feet fit in without getting unsightly topline bulge, so I was thinking bal boots would fit the bill. I also like boots more than shoes, in general.

I don't mind the speed hooks so much on the carmina pair and think the height is better. The price is more than I want to pay though.

Maybe I'll start with a black calf AE pair, then move to Carmina when ready.

fourspin

Reaction score
Winter in Denver. Would you choose McTavish or Aberdeen for casual duty?

Olifter

Reaction score

Winter in Denver. Would you choose McTavish or Aberdeen for casual duty?

Since it's casual and Denver, Aberdeen because of the mini lug sole and split reverse welt. I might favor a boot however, the Long Branch.

NWTeal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This would be a concern if you consider the fact that AE has already set up shop in the DR due to a lack of qualified people that can fit into the assembly line at Port Washington to fill the needs. I believe Paul said in an interview that the lack of employee supply led to their decision to offshore a factory in the DR. If they need to produce even more than they have now, there will definitely be a larger percentage of cutters/clickers and sewers in the DR since they already can't fulfill their demands with workers in Port Washington. This may or may not have an effect on the quality of shoes.

This would either result in lower standards for shoes to pass as firsts or more favorable for us...a larger selection of seconds!

cincikid

Reaction score
Since it's casual and Denver, Aberdeen because of the mini lug sole and split reverse welt. I might favor a boot however, the Long Branch.
^This. I have both and I find the Aberdeen far better in the foul weather.

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't necessarily share your view on this. In his interview a few years ago Paul said that AE has a unique niche on the market offering relatively affordable Goodyear welted shoes made of good leathers and of great quality. They don't seem to have competitors in their price range and their shoes are selling like the hot pies. What would AE to gain if it were to follow JM for instance? I am not a market researcher, but they would probably lose more than they would gain. There's more than enough cheap poor quality shoes on the market and I see no reason for AE to compete in that niche. Of course, it's hard to predict which scenario AE is likely to follow, but my hunch is that they are going to be OK in the long run.

AE seems to provide a product in between Alden and J&M. Either an increase or decrease in quality/cost would bring them to a place where they would have more direct competition. I don't envision a scenario where this makes much sense for them. They have established a good business model allowing them to fill in the gaps between other manufacturers.

I agree here as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads