1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 7: A Made-to-Measure suit from Lanieri

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Made-to-measure suit from Lanieri. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ScottMC

ScottMC Senior Member

Freeman's Sporting Club x AE Macneil. Navy suede, JR dovetail sole. Seconds. Scored on eBay for $175 free shipping :) Opinions?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. cincikid

cincikid Senior Member

Or this one:

[​IMG]
    I am probably thinking of the crepe sole in the anticipation of NJ rains in the next five months or so.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2013

3. cincikid

cincikid Senior Member

Nice shoe. I actually bought this very same shoe (assuming it's 10D) a few months ago when they advertised it as black. Since I already have a navy suede Stewart, I saw no reason of keeping another shoe in the same color.
    Not to disappoint you, but if it is size 10D you could have bought it at $159 a few days prior to your purchase from the same buyer.

4. BCer

BCer Senior Member

I have another wrinkle on this potential news. Would AE become the 'house brand' for Mens Warehouse? With over 1000 MW stores, if the AE brand becomes available at all those stores, what happens to production and quality? How much time would AE have for MTO's and cordovan models, if they're pumping out high volume to fill their 1000+ stores? Sorry, but I don't see it as a good thing. And if AE is owned by Mens Warehouse, would Nordstrom drop the line - being that they are competitors in the men's market? Nordstrom doesn't carry Mens Warehouse suits, do they?

5. ScottMC

ScottMC Senior Member

This actually is that same shoe, the seller unintentionally offered that 20% off sale a few days ago, so he set his store to vacation mode to prevent purchases. I asked about it and he told me it was an error, so he gave me 12% off, which is better than the 10% off he had a couple weeks ago. You will always find SF members in the furthest corners of eBay when there is a good deal to be had...

Last edited: Oct 23, 2013

6. chinngiskhaan

chinngiskhaan Senior Member

BAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA! yeah, if I wanted ugly shoes with huge bulky rubber soles I'd just go buy some sketchers or something like that.

7. mxgreen

mxgreen Senior Member

I don't know if Nordstrom carries Men's Warehouse suits (although I doubt it), but Nordstrom's does carry Joseph Abboud. Joseph Abboud is owned by Men's Warehouse.

8. BCer

BCer Senior Member

You're right, good point. However, at sub $100 a pair, I'm thinking Joseph Abboud are not hand-made or Goodyear welted, and pumped out in high volume to fill 1000+ stores. How will AE manage that volume requirement? Streamlining of production processes? I'm worried...

9. WICaniac

WICaniac Senior Member

Read the JS article and you'll note CEO Paul G. is interested in growing the company, to include its operations Port Washington. I think people are allowing their disdain for MW to cloud their judgment on this (which, BTW hasn't happened and may never come to pass). The firm that currently owns AE has already held it longer than its typical investments, so a sale to someone at some point seems inevitable. JAB already sells AE, so I doubt this would prompt Nordstrom to drop the brand (it would probably mean the end of AE at JAB, however, unless it succeeds in its efforts to buy MW). Nor do I foresee AE becoming a "store brand" that loses its value. Despite being purchased by Sears, Lands' End (another WI company) retains its brand identity and value. Were Sears to fold, it would have no problem selling off LE (which it has already contemplated as a means of raising cash). In either case, the principal effect of the acquisition is more retail outlets, more sales, and more revenue.

10. V1KTA222

V1KTA222 Senior Member

Thanks for the opinions, guys. The boots aren't a requirement really, but a suit with dress shoes are. I haven't been able to find any oxfords that my feet fit in without getting unsightly topline bulge, so I was thinking bal boots would fit the bill. I also like boots more than shoes, in general.

I don't mind the speed hooks so much on the carmina pair and think the height is better. The price is more than I want to pay though.

Maybe I'll start with a black calf AE pair, then move to Carmina when ready.

11. fourspin

fourspin Well-Known Member

Winter in Denver. Would you choose McTavish or Aberdeen for casual duty?

12. Olifter

Olifter Senior Member

Since it's casual and Denver, Aberdeen because of the mini lug sole and split reverse welt. I might favor a boot however, the Long Branch.

13. NWTeal

NWTeal Distinguished Member

This would be a concern if you consider the fact that AE has already set up shop in the DR due to a lack of qualified people that can fit into the assembly line at Port Washington to fill the needs. I believe Paul said in an interview that the lack of employee supply led to their decision to offshore a factory in the DR. If they need to produce even more than they have now, there will definitely be a larger percentage of cutters/clickers and sewers in the DR since they already can't fulfill their demands with workers in Port Washington. This may or may not have an effect on the quality of shoes.

This would either result in lower standards for shoes to pass as firsts or more favorable for us...a larger selection of seconds!

14. cincikid

cincikid Senior Member

^This. I have both and I find the Aberdeen far better in the foul weather.

15. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Distinguished Member

I agree here as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.