• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

bespoken pa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not usually a Carmina guy, however in this instance, Carmina wins out.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
I'm not a huge fan of bal boots, but I'd pick the AE just cause they don't have speed hooks at the top.

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Carminas are worth it. Love my AEs, but these are a step up. I have these Carminas in suede and they are fantastic. I might be inclined to stay with calf, though. Carmina shell can get very spendy very quickly.

Might want to ask the same question on the Carmina thread if you want to balance out the responses.

Last edited:

cbtaylor

Reaction score
These are pretty bad, I guess a pure function shoe

cincikid

Reaction score

Hey guys, seeking some opinions here. I'd like to get a balmoral boot for a suit as I need to make several presentations at conferences next year. Ideally, actually I would like 2 (brown and black). Which one would you guys go for? 1. Fifth street MTO without the medallion ($375 for calf, $595 for shell, plus tax). It would look like this, in black or brown.
[\spoiler] Edit: I am borrowing this pic from someone on the board...I can't remember who. I saw it one day and saved it to my computer. I hope that is ok! 2. Carmina cordovan balmoral in cognac: (~ $680, +/- any duties/fees I'll have to pay after it ships)
I'll have to find a Forest last to try on, but assuming it fits as comfortably as the AE 5 last on me, is the extra money worth it for shell and/or carmina?
I present at the conferences 4-to-5 times a year and the boots have never been required for participants. This said, I'd take AE 'cause of the speed hooks and 'cause you know how the last is going to fit you.

Olifter

Reaction score

Hey guys, seeking some opinions here.  I'd like to get a balmoral boot for a suit as I need to make several presentations at conferences next year.  Ideally, actually I would like 2 (brown and black).

Which one would you guys go for?

1. Fifth street MTO without the medallion ($375 for calf, $595 for shell, plus tax). It would look like this, in black or brown.

Edit: I am borrowing this pic from someone on the board...I can't remember who.  I saw it one day and saved it to my computer.  I hope that is ok!

2. Carmina cordovan balmoral in cognac: (~ $680, +/- any duties/fees I'll have to pay after it ships.

I'll have to find a Forest last to try on, but assuming it fits as comfortably as the AE 5 last on me, is the extra money worth it for shell and/or carmina?

Since you want one in black and brown, I'd get one of each brand, going for whichever brown offering you like best, then the other in black. I wouldn't get shell, as I wouldn't be wearing boots that much due to the warm St. Louis weather in the summer.

Apollotrader

Reaction score
Quote:
As will I. Creates quite an opportunity in the market if this does come to pass. It will be like Bankers Trust buying Alex Brown, nothing will be left within 24 months.....

Last edited:

cincikid

Reaction score
So, this is disappointing:

http://www.jsonline.com/business/me...-for-allen-edmonds-b99126284z1-228843321.html

Not sure if it's being discussed yet. Saw it posted on the AE facebook page. If they sell, we'll probably only have a couple more yaers of quality before they become "just another shoe company"
I don't necessarily share your view on this. In his interview a few years ago Paul said that AE has a unique niche on the market offering relatively affordable Goodyear welted shoes made of good leathers and of great quality. They don't seem to have competitors in their price range and their shoes are selling like the hot pies. What would AE to gain if it were to follow JM for instance? I am not a market researcher, but they would probably lose more than they would gain. There's more than enough cheap poor quality shoes on the market and I see no reason for AE to compete in that niche. Of course, it's hard to predict which scenario AE is likely to follow, but my hunch is that they are going to be OK in the long run.

bespoken pa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
E seems to provide a product in between Alden and J&M. Either an increase or decrease in quality/cost would bring them to a place where they would have more direct competition. I don't envision a scenario where this makes much sense for them. They have established a good business model allowing them to fill in the gaps between other manufacturers.

Last edited:

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
AE seems to provide a product in between Alden and J&M. Either an increase or decrease in quality/cost would bring them to a place where they would have more direct competition. I don't envision a scenario where this makes much sense for them. They have established a good business model allowing them to fill in the gaps between other manufacturers.
Now, the move into apparel starts to make more sense.

Pastor

Reaction score

Hey guys, seeking some opinions here.  I'd like to get a balmoral boot for a suit as I need to make several presentations at conferences next year.  Ideally, actually I would like 2 (brown and black).

Which one would you guys go for?

1. Fifth street MTO without the medallion ($375 for calf, $595 for shell, plus tax). It would look like this, in black or brown.

Edit: I am borrowing this pic from someone on the board...I can't remember who.  I saw it one day and saved it to my computer.  I hope that is ok!

2. Carmina cordovan balmoral in cognac: (~ $680, +/- any duties/fees I'll have to pay after it ships)

I have the AE Fifth Street in Brown and I like them. I also have Carminas (2 pair actually) in brown/suede and in black scothgrain.
I wear them all but I prefer the Carminas. They are much higher and the speed hooks do not catch on my trouser hems . The forest last is an extremely good fit for me. I'd also say spring for the shell if you can. Shell is worth it and the Carmina finishing is top notch.

Here are some pics of each:

Carmina Black Scotchgrain

Carmina Brown Calf and Brown Suede

AE Fifth Street in Brown Calf

pudman43

Reaction score
I don't necessarily share your view on this. In his interview a few years ago Paul said that AE has a unique niche on the market offering relatively affordable Goodyear welted shoes made of good leathers and of great quality. They don't seem to have competitors in their price range and their shoes are selling like the hot pies. What would AE to gain if it were to follow JM for instance? I am not a market researcher, but they would probably lose more than they would gain. There's more than enough cheap poor quality shoes on the market and I see no reason for AE to compete in that niche. Of course, it's hard to predict which scenario AE is likely to follow, but my hunch is that they are going to be OK in the long run. 
^^This

cincikid

Reaction score
Browsing old catalogues... Can't figure out why AE has discontinued so many great models they had, like this one for example (from the 1980 edition).

kentyman

Reaction score
Browsing old catalogues... Can't figure out why AE has discontinued so many great models they had, like this one for example (from the 1980 edition).

They needed to close that out like you need to close out Chrome tabs...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads