• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

kentyman

Reaction score
I'm actually not too sure I followed you very well. However, it was just a theory based on anecdotal evidence. I've not yet met a left handed person that has the problem. Not any scientific or truly logical reason. I'm sure someone who is left handed will chime in shortly to say that they have the problem now that I've said that.
nest.gif

EDIT: Nevermind, I see what you are saying now. Indeed, it does require not tying both knots LR/LR or RL/RL. That said, I've still not met a lefty with the problem!
biggrin.gif

This site actually does a much better job of explaining what I was going for: http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/grannyknot.htm

There you have it!
tinfoil.gif

Hence forth, I will advise people using Kentyman's technique.
teacha.gif
what do you know! even MWS learns something new every day!

This gave me a good chuckle.
smile.gif

stgrim

Reaction score
So, this is disappointing:

http://www.jsonline.com/business/me...-for-allen-edmonds-b99126284z1-228843321.html

Not sure if it's being discussed yet. Saw it posted on the AE facebook page. If they sell, we'll probably only have a couple more yaers of quality before they become "just another shoe company"

I just read this article as well.. and would be terribly disappointed if AE was assimilated into another corporate conglomerate of brands. Better get your MTOs in asap just in case.

jungleroller

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hope the employees aren't getting pissed and not putting good effort into making the current run of mto's, mine included.

JL3212

Reaction score

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You realize this means nothing till the deal is done, correct?

AxVxA

Reaction score
You realize this means nothing till the deal is done, correct?

Of course... it would just be very disappointing to see the company sold to someone who will start looking at the bottom line, and it does appear the company is for sale.

AE is not a "brand name" product, it's a quality product. If they start looking at increasing profit by decreasing the quality their loyal customers expect, they will lose both.

cincikid

Reaction score
I am thinking of an MTO made of either black or brown CXL and--in addition to looking at the AE current inventory--I was hoping to maybe build upon some discontinued AE style that I would like. This said, I am looking for suggestions: your favorite discontinued and current AE that you think would look good in CXL. I am particularly looking for an everyday, casual version of a dress shoe and I am open to a cap-toe, shortwing or longwing, and either blucher or balmoral.

bbob2013

Reaction score
I am thinking of an MTO made of either black or brown CXL and--in addition to looking at the AE current inventory--I was hoping to maybe build upon some discontinued AE style that I would like. This said, I am looking for suggestions: your favorite discontinued and current AE that you think would look good in CXL. I am particularly looking for an everyday, casual version of a dress shoe and I am open to a cap-toe, shortwing or longwing, and either blucher or balmoral.

^ I take it discontinued styles are available for MTO? Can anyone confirm that.

Thanks

cincikid

Reaction score
^ I take it discontinued styles are available for MTO? Can anyone confirm that.

Thanks
Don't rush into the conclusions. They are available if AE a) has the last on which the shoe was made; and b) is able to cut the upper for this shoe. Not every discontinued is obviously going to be available and this needs to be confirmed for each shoe in question.

WICaniac

Reaction score

Just saw this as well. I will probably stop buying them if it does happen.

I just read this article as well.. and would be terribly disappointed if AE was assimilated into another corporate conglomerate of brands. Better get your MTOs in asap just in case.

It is already owned by a "corporate conglomerate of brands."

bbob2013

Reaction score
Don't rush into the conclusions. They are available if AE a) has the last on which the shoe was made; and b) is able to cut the upper for this shoe. Not every discontinued is obviously going to be available and this needs to be confirmed for each shoe in question.

Thanks! Looks like I'll be inquiring about the ability to MTO an Evanston... I saw that a couple pages back, and it's exactly what I'm looking for.

To answer your question I think a pair of McTavish built up in brown CXL similar to the black wax finish currently available would look nice. I have this one in a couple of colors, but the black is my favorite. The contrast of the light stitching and brown sole work well for a casual shoe. Would work well in CXL, if we are talking about the same thing. The finish that develops a nice natural patina over time.

FreedBird

Reaction score

Thanks! Looks like I'll be inquiring about the ability to MTO an Evanston... I saw that a couple pages back, and it's exactly what I'm looking for.

To answer your question I think a pair of McTavish built up in brown CXL similar to the black wax finish currently available would look nice. I have this one in a couple of colors, but the black is my favorite. The contrast of the light stitching and brown sole work well for a casual shoe. Would work well in CXL, if we are talking about the same thing. The finish that develops a nice natural patina over time.

The 0 last the Evanston was made on is no longer used by AE. The closest style they have now to the Evantson would be the Rutledge, which is a stunning shoe.

V1KTA222

Reaction score
Hey guys, seeking some opinions here. I'd like to get a balmoral boot for a suit as I need to make several presentations at conferences next year. Ideally, actually I would like 2 (brown and black).

Which one would you guys go for?

1. Fifth street MTO without the medallion ($375 for calf, $595 for shell, plus tax). It would look like this, in black or brown.

Edit: I am borrowing this pic from someone on the board...I can't remember who. I saw it one day and saved it to my computer. I hope that is ok!

2. Carmina cordovan balmoral in cognac: (~ $680, +/- any duties/fees I'll have to pay after it ships)

I'll have to find a Forest last to try on, but assuming it fits as comfortably as the AE 5 last on me, is the extra money worth it for shell and/or carmina?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics