1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

You can do better than those for walking shoes. Get something with dainite soles or good vibrams or even GATs. Those shoes are are an abomination.

2. NWTeal

NWTeal Senior member

Any of you guys use AE boots for outdoor activities such as hiking and care to share your experiences?

I'm looking to go on a easy hike this weekend, and want to whip out my MTO Promontory Points which are CXL and dainite soles. I'm not worried about getting them dirty as I'd like to develop some wear on them, but I'm more concerned about comfort. FWIW, they fit well. Why buy nice boots if I'm not willing to use them for what they were made for, right?

3. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

LOL the AE Eruo sneakers are ugly but I bought two slightly used pairs and while I only wear them when really crappy out they are some of the most comfy shoes I have ever owned..wait The Traveler is a dream to wear...ugly yes and the Mapleton is the other I am thinking of.

I swear the Traveler are as comfy as my good New Balances...and I think the Blue Voyager is cool looking for some reason....

I am not sure I consider Dainite a walker friendly sole in terms of real walking..not much give like you would want when touring a city or putting in 4 or 5 miles a day.. I do love me some Dainite though

Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
  4. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Have a little more respect for yourself.

If you're retired and over the age of 65-70, then ignore the above and do whatever you damn well please. You've earned it.

5. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Dainites don't work well for long distance walking and playground beating on my pronating, flat, bunioned monster feet. I like it fine on my Shaker Heights, but wouldn't walk 5 miles nonstop in them.

Any other suggestions for super-wide 3E in most AE lasts (many are still too narrow)?

I've sworn off Clark's because they rarely last me longer than a year. Cheap POS

Love new balance, but trying to avoid full-on running shoes for everyday wear.

Sometimes I think that a flat welt would improve the Voyager quite a bit. Perhaps an MTO may be in order. In CXL? Possibly....

6. YoungSweet

YoungSweet Senior member

Have you considered 2nd belts? I just got a list from Jville and there are many options under $50. The Madison 2nd belt is $49, one of what i've ordered

7. Spiker

Spiker Well-Known Member

Heck yea I would buy second belts. Is there online list somewhere (like the shoe one?) Also what are the common defects with 2nd belts?

But 50 isnt much of a discount considering the sale makes madision 69? (does belt 2nd also have 10$ return charge? )

Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
  8. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

Interested as well

9. YoungSweet

YoungSweet Senior member

Just PM'ed you guys with the list that I have. I don't have any experience with second belts but mine will arrive tomorrow so I'll let you guys know.

With regarding the return charge, I think it only applies to shoes, per my receipt. Hopefully it doesn't apply to belts if I have to return them.

10. watchidiot

watchidiot Senior member

Thanks Kwaker. These bad boys are hefty and will take some time to get used to. Even the thikness of the double sole is something new to me :)

11. mbishop

mbishop Active Member

I've always liked just plain, boring black shoes. My first pair of AEs were black Park Avenues.

But then I got some bourbon Strands... and then today arrived my sale order of merlot McAllisters... wow, they are beautiful.

I suppose something in walnut will have to be next...

12. aDrummingDude

aDrummingDude Senior member

Hmmm. So, even though my foot measures slightly longer than 11, is it your opinion that the 65 last May be so long that trying a 10.5 E may work better than the tight and long 11 D? Is the 65 last really that long? I recently did a similar thing with a pair of ferragamo loafers (Tazio) which were WAY too long as an 11d. I found a great deal on Ebay for the shoe in 10.5E, but after wearing them a few times I think they may be a bit too wide, even though the length is good.

13. Gianni Cerutti

Gianni Cerutti Senior member

Very nice colors...compliments

14. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

[​IMG] that is an excellent point...I feel 65...does that count.

15. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

I am a 13D generally and have no problems going to 12.5E on the 65 last

16. watchidiot

watchidiot Senior member

Thank you. I like the colors myself :)

17. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

I slathered the AE leather lotion all over my new Bourbon Mora 2.0 and the symphony of squeaks from the first wear have been reduced to virtually zero from the right shoe and more from the left I hit everything with the leather lotion from the liner that touches leather to the straps and buckles. Will hit them again with another round tonight then in a few days they will need a good buffing and maybe a wax to bring the shine back

18. partyof6

partyof6 Senior member

My brown cordovan Dundees arrived. The look and feel of them put me in a rustic mood, so I took some pics with my Saddleback briefcase.

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  19. Kwaker

Kwaker Senior member

The shine naturally draws my gaze to the shell ... very nice.

20. partyof6

partyof6 Senior member

Thank you, Sir!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.