• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

cincikid

Reaction score
What do you, gentlemen, think of a pair of MTO CXL McNeils (either black or brown) with the exposed brass eyelets, natural welt and the Dainite sole, simialr to this pair of Trickers?

NWTeal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do you, gentlemen, think of a pair of MTO CXL McNeils (either black or brown) with the exposed brass eyelets, natural welt and the Dainite sole, simialr to this pair of Trickers?

Would be best in a navy CXL (which AE doesn't have), but black or brown would be pretty cool as well.

Last edited:

Gauss17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes, AE has brown and black CXL from Horween.
Agreed. I wish they had it in blue as well. Out of brown and black, which do you think would look better?

I've kind of always felt brown brogues looks better than black

NWTeal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, AE has brown and black CXL from Horween.
Agreed. I wish they had it in blue as well. Out of brown and black, which do you think would look better?

I think black would be cool and give you kind of a sneaker look with the lighter edge. I think the black would actually be more interesting in this case.

Winston S.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

the horses are smaller, but horses still.  I think the shells would still be plenty big... But I'm no expert on horses, or Tanning so I could be completely wrong.  It's possible that They've already checked into the Mongolia thing and it didn't work out.

The horses are smaller, but not small enough that they wouldn't produce shells big enough for shoe making.  As far as thickness goes, if anything I would imagine their hides are thicker than western horse hides... again, I could be TOTALLY off base here.
I'm not sure if you know this or not, but only a certain part of the horse (near the rump) is used for shell, so if the horses are smaller there is a good chance that there is not enough membrane to make a pair of shell shoes.

FreedBird

Reaction score
Just got my pair of Evanstons back from a recraft!

null_zps2eb0dff2.jpg

chinngiskhaan

Reaction score
I'm not sure if you know this or not, but only a certain part of the horse (near the rump) is used for shell, so if the horses are smaller there is a good chance that there is not enough membrane to make a pair of shell shoes.

yes, I am aware of this. They are smaller, but still large animals. Have you ever seen a full horse hide? They are enormous! While the shell is a small portion of the horse hide, it is still rather large. The difference in size would be insignificant, probably like the difference in the leather it takes to make a men's basketball compared to a women's basketball. Mongolian horses are smaller than American horses, but still large animals.

Given the harsh environment that they are accustomed to it's possible that the difference in thickness or texture of the hides is the real issue.

chinngiskhaan

Reaction score
Can not understand for the life of me why AE discontinued the shoe. Btw, how do you find the fit compare to the AE shoes on different lasts?
gorgeous shoes!

on a side note I notice you have the same shoelace loop issue that so many of us have. I solve this by double knotting... is that bad of me?

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
gorgeous shoes!

on a side note I notice you have the same shoelace loop issue that so many of us have. I solve this by double knotting... is that bad of me?

Why not just re-learn how to tie your shoes "correctly?"

I know that's easy for me to say, since I've always tied mine "correctly" (I think it may have something to do with being left handed). The way a lefty naturally ties a shoe tends to result in the "correct" method, while the natural way for a right handed person (unless they were taught the correct way as a child), is to do it the opposite way which leads to the problem you have.

It may be awkward for a few weeks, but you'd form a new habit sooner than you think.

Last edited:

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

gorgeous shoes!

on a side note I notice you have the same shoelace loop issue that so many of us have.  I solve this by double knotting... is that bad of me?

Just cross the laces the opposite way you do now for the first knot...

FreedBird

Reaction score

Can not understand for the life of me why AE discontinued the shoe. Btw, how do you find the fit compare to the AE shoes on different lasts?

I find the 0 last to be one of the most comfortable AE lasts. I wear an 8D on the 0 last, which is my "normal" shoe size, but on the 5 and 7 I prefer an 8.5B and on the 8 last an 8.5D. The 0 last doesn't have the uncomfortableness on the instep and ball of the foot that some of the other last have when they are at the shorter length of an 8.

cincikid

Reaction score
I find the 0 last to be one of the most comfortable AE lasts. I wear an 8D on the 0 last, which is my "normal" shoe size, but on the 5 and 7 I prefer an 8.5B and on the 8 last an 8.5D. The 0 last doesn't have the uncomfortableness on the instep and ball of the foot that some of the other last have when they are at the shorter length of an 8.
Thank you for sharing this. Interesting, I know that most people, me including, go 1/2 size down and 1/2 size up on 5 last compare to their Brannock size. I am surprised and puzzled you found a good fit going 1/2 size up and 1/2 width down.
I also found that the 7 last fits me way different from the 5 last.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads