Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cincikid

cincikid Senior member

I never tried it personally, but I've heard that you can't apply topy to the butyl sole. It will stick for a bit bit but will come off eventually, due to the sole being saturated in oils. I am curious to see if this is indeed the case.

2. fiestaplatypus

fiestaplatypus Senior member

Alden's leather defender works just fine on AE Cordovan. You applied it on top of a thick layer of polish/creme that the AE factory applied to protect the shoes. Remove the polish using a damp cloth or Saphir Reno (may have to do this several times to get it all off) and then reapply the defender. This has always worked for me.

3. chinngiskhaan

chinngiskhaan Senior member

yes... it is landlocked... that hasn't stopped them from exporting other goods though. I suppose it would be more expensive to ship, but they could also acquire the horse hides for much cheaper though.

4. lukejackson

lukejackson Senior member

Anyone know what last the Saratoga tassel loafer is in? Can't find anything online. Anyone have a pair and know? Details on the fit/last welcome. Thanks

5. Subutai

Subutai Senior member

Serious question, don't Mongolians use steppe ponies rather than the horses with which most westerners are familiar? If so, I wonder if their hides would work as well. I have no depth of knowledge in tanning leathers...

6. chinngiskhaan

what is this from? This is why there is a cordovan shortage... because westerners can't stand the idea of eating horse meat. Somehow it's ok to eat cows, sheep, and pigs but not horses.

I wonder if I slaughter and skin my own horse if I could send the hide to horween...[​IMG]

7. chinngiskhaan

the horses are smaller, but horses still. I think the shells would still be plenty big... But I'm no expert on horses, or Tanning so I could be completely wrong. It's possible that They've already checked into the Mongolia thing and it didn't work out.

The horses are smaller, but not small enough that they wouldn't produce shells big enough for shoe making. As far as thickness goes, if anything I would imagine their hides are thicker than western horse hides... again, I could be TOTALLY off base here.

8. cincikid

cincikid Senior member

True. I guess Central Asia would be my bet were I in the need of obtaining shells in large quantities. I guess there might be other factors though, maybe a different breed of horses with smaller shells? [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 23, 2013

9. cincikid

cincikid Senior member

In the western culture, horses are considered what one could call a very utilitarian animal. They have been used for a wide variety of purposes, such as hunting, ploughing, moving people and cargo, you name it, whereas cows, sheep and pigs were bred solely to be consumed. I think we have inherited a completely different attitude to the horses than to the other domesticated animals.

10. kentyman

kentyman Senior member

At first I thought it was just Basel's cobblestone roads. Perhaps a combination of both.

I've read the same thing about putting a topy on butyl. Then again, it might be different when the sole has been cheese grated...

I'm not "worried" per se, but like to take care of my stuff so that it lasts as long as possible. #2) Of course I can resole them, but would rather not do that prematurely. #3) Topy might work, but as others mentioned it can be tricky on butyl soles. #1) Not really a helpful response, as I'm not concerned about the look but rather how long they'll last and how well they'll keep water out of the rest of my shoes.

11. kentyman

kentyman Senior member

It's from Game of Thrones.

12. chinngiskhaan

To be fair, Mongolians use horses for those things too. They use horses today like westerners used them before machines were invented to do the horses job. The difference is that when they are too old to use for those things, they kill them, and eat them.

13. lostron

lostron Senior member

I have rubber soles on all my shoes. It makes them less slippery and thinks it is better for the life of the shoes.

14. cincikid

cincikid Senior member

I just chatted with Nick V. from B.Nelson Shoe Repair in NYC on a similar matter. I sent him a pair of Wolverins last week so that he'd put on Vibram Raptor outsoles. Just earlier today he confirmed that he can't do it as the cement wouldn't adhere to the oily surface of the leather regardless of whether it has been grated or not..

15. cincikid

cincikid Senior member

It might be a western attitude then. Koreans also eat dogs too, which we don't.
    I must admit though, that people do eat horse meat in Europe (but not in the UK) and I think I tried it in a form of sausage more than once. There's actually an interesting Wiki article on this matter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.