Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pastor

Pastor Senior member

Just got an email from Allison and my Cappuccino Jeffersons did not pass inspection and they are being remade. I got an updated ship date of Nov 15th.

2. ScottyBoy920

ScottyBoy920 Senior member

I see they are 11.5D... too bad they didnt end up with a minor defect. I would have been all over those once they hit the shoe bank! [​IMG]

3. jungleroller

jungleroller Senior member

I could see that. They definitely are more of a casual shoe with that welt and the eyelets I think. There's nothing wrong with contrasting the look a bit. Casual with classic and Slim shoes looking a little wider. Don't we usually offset things a little in any garment?[​IMG]

4. watchidiot

watchidiot Senior member

I know a couple of weeks back that shell MTOs are now limited to burgundy, brown and black. It seems though that cappuccino is still available if Pastors shoes are being remade. Has anyone recently tried and been turned down for shell cappuccino MTO?

5. kentyman

kentyman Senior member

It's possible they reserved a few sets of shell per previous order in case of remakes, but I'm just guessing.

6. Pastor

Pastor Senior member

This is what I think as well.

7. cincikid

cincikid Senior member

I am pretty positive this is indeed the case.

8. green garden

green garden Senior member

+1. I also think the MacNeil is too pointy. I wished they had a 1 last LWB. I was so tempted to get a MacNeil MTO. I had to take a 45 min drive to SFO to try it on and I'm glad I did because it just didn't work for me.

9. evolved

evolved Senior member

I like the fact that it's a bit slimmer looking compared to other LWB's. Some LWB's (Alden, for instance) look blobby, to me. That look is compounded with smaller, wider feet, as well.

10. WestCoastBadger

WestCoastBadger New Member

If the burgundy Daltons weren't so expensive I would have gone with those and a pair of walnut strands. Instead, I'll have to do the reverse.

11. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

Vey glad they reserved some additional shells just in case. Now the real question...Can you buy them as 2nds???

12. cincikid

cincikid Senior member

Had this same question as well. What's your size, Pastor? [​IMG]

13. chinngiskhaan

chinngiskhaan Senior member

My bet is that they will bring back the rare shell colors sooner or later. Allen Edmonds is a company, they use principles of compliance (in this case the principle of scarcity) to convince people to buy their product just like any other successful company would.

Through this thread and the help of Allison and her killer deals this thread is utilizing the consensus principle (everyone else is doing it, so I should too). We see each others MTO pics, or pics of other shoes and we want to buy them more.

When you go to a shoe store, and the salesman asks you if you would like to try anything on... in the back of their minds they know that if they can get you to try something on the odds of you agreeing to a much larger commitment increase very significantly.

Allen Edmonds is a business and they want to make as much money as possible, if that means making everyone think that cappuccino shell is gone and never coming back, then they will do that. I doubt they have ran out of it at all, and even if they have stopped carrying it for the time being, they will likely be carrying it again (or some similar color with a new snazzy name) soon.

14. NWTeal

NWTeal Senior member

I agree that they might bring it back sometime, but I don't agree with the speculation that they still have some cappuccino or other rare shells.

Currently there is a shortage of shell cordovan and obtaining shell in lighter colors is more difficult due to the properties of the material. I'd say that AE likely doesn't have much, if any left. It's most likely to me that shell cordovan is at an all time high price to obtain the material and the rare colors are even more so and the price point doesn't currently match the value/quality proposition that AE's business model is built for.

Of course, this shell shortage could also be some colluded propaganda created by shoe manufacturers around the world in order to raise prices, but that would be so far fetched, but much more interesting [​IMG]

15. evolved

evolved Senior member

Shell Cordovan manufacturers are the new diamond cartel, lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.