• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

YoungSweet

Reaction score
Here you go. No grey slacks or jeans but lighting is similar on both pics --- indirect sunlight, no flash.

Walnut Daltons:

Chili burnished Daltons:

The colors are pretty close. I have been told that the chili actually starts off as walnut and then AE finishes/burnishes it to the chili finish.

The common suggestion is to size up a half when going from the 5 last to the 1 last. That's what I did and it works for me.

Good luck.

+1 on the chili, they look amazing

chinngiskhaan

Reaction score
Yeah I need a towel for my laptop!
happy.gif
Good lord those look amazing! The contrasting welt looks great imo!

Those are shells right?
I honestly don't like the light welt look on the macneils people have been doing lately. It makes the shoe look overly casual in my opinion. It also makes the shoe appear much wider. Any man here with a wife will tell you that darker colors are slimming, and the macneil needs slimming IMO.

The lighter welt looks great on pretty much any other model though, just not the Macneils... But lots of people think they are gorgeous so maybe I'm crazy.

Subutai

Reaction score
I honestly don't like the light welt look on the macneils people have been doing lately. It makes the shoe look overly casual in my opinion. It also makes the shoe appear much wider. Any man here with a wife will tell you that darker colors are slimming, and the macneil needs slimming IMO.

The lighter welt looks great on pretty much any other model though, just not the Macneils... But lots of people think they are gorgeous so maybe I'm crazy.

I love the contrast, but you provide an interesting perspective; usually the complaint (although rare) is the opposite when it comes to width. For a LWB, the MacNeil is rather pointy

cincikid

Reaction score

To each his own, but I was actually looking for a more casual version of the McNeil. I haven't thought that the natural welt would make the shoe look wider, but if this is the case, I am actually pretty glad. As noted above, the McNeil is rather pointy for a LWB. I don't think it needs slimming at all. If you think it does though, you might as well opt for the Williams, RL Saunders (or is it Saunderson?) or the Aberdeen all made on the narrow 2 last.

I totally see you point though, but then again, the whole idea of MTO is to provide a custom-made, unique shoe to each individual client. I am happy about the outcome, but I am looking forward to seeing yours with the darker welt to compare the difference.

Last edited:

Subutai

Reaction score
@WICaniac: Yes, I should have specified, for a gunboat

Last edited:

jch1

Reaction score

Navy suede strands with the old suede and single JR sole. I'm happy. Replaced with brown laces.

ScottyBoy920

Reaction score

Navy suede strands with the old suede and single JR sole. I'm happy. Replaced with brown laces.
They look great. I'm sure AE loved making them. Anyway you can post more pics? Show up the details of the shoes. Thanks

ScottyBoy920

Reaction score

Looks like AE will be making penny loafers styled after the Morgan wingtip.

What do we think?

V1KTA222

Reaction score
I was excited to get my shell Macneil seconds today, but unfortunately they will be going back. Left shoe looked great, but the medallion of the right is cracked. They also looked like they had been sitting on the shelf for a LONG time (dry, dusty, etc), though that could have been remedied with some TLC.

I'm 1 for 3 on seconds now. Beginning to think it's not worth the time, though the discounts that can be had are really deep.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I was excited to get my shell Macneil seconds today, but unfortunately they will be going back. Left shoe looked great, but the medallion of the right is cracked. They also looked like they had been sitting on the shelf for a LONG time (dry, dusty, etc), though that could have been remedied with some TLC. I'm 1 for 3 on seconds now. Beginning to think it's not worth the time, though the discounts that can be had are really deep.
Seconds are a mixed bag, ranging, in my experience, from "where is the flaw" to "you have got to be kidding me." Yours fall in the latter category.

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

jvc44

Reaction score
Anyone have any luck removing a small dent I cordovn. ? Please advise

V1KTA222

Reaction score
Seconds are a mixed bag, ranging, in my experience, from "where is the flaw" to "you have got to be kidding me." Yours fall in the latter category.

Yeah, I still can't find the flaw in my first order!

Maybe I'll only stick to seconds that are at the store I'm ordering from, so I can ask the sales clerk to inspect the shoe before sending out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads