1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ScottyBoy920

ScottyBoy920 Senior Member

[​IMG]

Chili McAllister and BB Merlot McAllister. They look nothing alike but both look amazing.

2. Odradek

Odradek Senior Member

Great.
    Thanks.

One further question though. Do the webgems ever turn up at the Shoebank, or Jeffersonville as seconds?

Last edited: Oct 20, 2013

3. ScottyBoy920

ScottyBoy920 Senior Member

I wouldn't imagine there would be a lot of them. Remember, seconds only occur when defects or manufacturing errors happen. Webgems are MTO which means there aren't many being made, lowering the chances there being some with defects available.

4. Snoogz

Snoogz Distinguished Member

It's not a heel loose, I can duplicate the squeak by pinching the leather between my fingers on the upper heel area. Where they stitch the leather together at te back. I think it's in the construction.

5. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Distinguished Member

I've never experienced that. How does it happen? What pieces are rubbing against each other?

6. delmar

delmar Senior Member

I got my cognac and orange webgem Ridgeway seconds from the Port Washington, WI factory outlet store. This was long before Ridgeways went into regular production, just after they were webgems. And right off the top of my head I can say that I've seen with my own eyes the red, white, & blue webgems and also the jingle bell moc webgems on the seconds shelves in the Port Washington factory outlet store. So there are three examples that I can think of.

7. Sweetchuck

Sweetchuck Member

I did, I went with a black welt and light brown edge. I'm not sure how it will turn out, but I'm excited non the less.

8. V1KTA222

V1KTA222 Senior Member

After trying many lasts (1, 5, 8) in many sizes, I can't find one that fits my feet because they are so low volume, especially around the heel and ankle. This leads to the dreaded topline bulge with every downstep I make. I have a pair of Macneil's coming in (last 7), and I'll see if those work. Other than that, I am thinking I might just need to stick to boots.

How do you all feel about fifth street boots with a suit? I wish they didn't have the broguing, but I think I can deal with it so that my shoes don't bulge at the topline.

Alternatively, any good recommendations for low volume lasts, or balmoral captoe boots without broguing?

9. Pastor

Pastor Senior Member

I wear my brown fifth street boots almost exclusively with suits. I've never had a problem at all with bulge. I also wear several higher boots with suits as well (i.e. Carmina Balmoral Boots & Alden Captoe Boots).

10. watchidiot

watchidiot Distinguished Member

Have you tried shoes on the 3 lasts? It's not a boot, but Harrison is a cap toe balmoral on the 3 last. Not sure if its a low volume last as I havent tried it personally.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2013

11. Snoogz

Snoogz Distinguished Member

It's almost like the outer leather stitched to the inner leather lining has movement between the peices. What ever is used to form the heel in structure and shape between the pieces of leather has movement between the layers. That's when I can pinch the layers on the heel and create the squeak.

12. dancingbear

dancingbear Senior Member

The 2-222 last is very low volume. There aren't many current models left that are based on it, but outlets should have more models available.

13. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

MTO anyone?

14. V1KTA222

V1KTA222 Senior Member

Thanks for the advice guys.

For the 3 last, I think I'll try the Harrison or Rutledge next and see if they fit.

For the 2 last, actually, my most well fitting shoes (at least in the ball and forefoot) are the Ralph Lauren Saunders, which I am told are on the 2 last. Do you guys know of names of any balmorals from the 2 last that I might be able to find at the outlets?

Lastly, I think I remember seeing in the past couple of weeks that someone was able to make a captoe MTO without broguing (ie strand or fifth street without the broguing). Is that the case? I would really think hard about a fifth street shell MTO without the broguing.

15. gauchogolfer

gauchogolfer Active Member

Just noticed the Franciscan monk strap is now available in merlot...
    I've not tried on the 333 last before, I only have Park Aves and Strands. How different is the sizing?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.