• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I embarrassingly realized that with all my recent travel, I forgot to email Allison and thank her. I also asked her about the new pattern. Here was here response:

Exciting that they may improve the pattern, and an excellent example of Allison's (and AE's in general) great customer support.

If they permanently implement the change, you can always look at the McAllister and know that you had something to do with it's improvement. Kinda cool.
bigstar[1].gif

kjd2121

Reaction score
I would like to give a shout out to the Allen Edmunds store in Phoenix, AZ. Last Thursday I took my McAllister's in to get the left shoe stretched free of charge (it takes a week). I noticed there was a sale on and my eye was drawn to the Blue Neumok. I told the salesman I would need to discuss another purchase with my wife. One week later,yesterday, I went in to pick up my newly stretched McAllister and noticed that the sale was over, damn. I asked the saleswoman when the sale ended and she said they would honor the sale price on the Blue Neumok. I asked her if I could get the sale price on my 7 week old McAllister's as I paid full price. Guess what - She gave me the sale price on the McAllister, Neumok, matching belt for the Neumok, shoe trees, travel kit, and shoelaces.

Damn fine people working for Allen Edmunds.

DNSamurai

Reaction score
I ordered a few pairs of cedar shoe trees during the recent JAS sale ($8.50 a pair). I thought I would take a picture to compare the three different brands of trees I now have. I was surprised to see how noticeably wider the fixed full-toe trees are compared to the split tree. All three are size L.

Last edited:

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I ordered a few pairs of cedar shoe trees during the recent JAS sale ($8.50 a pair). I thought I would take a picture to compare the three different brands of trees I now have. I was surprised to see how noticeably wider the fixed trees (not sure what the proper term is) are compared to the split tree. All three are size L.

The proper term is "full toe" for the ones that are fixed. When the split toe trees are inserted, they expand to fill the space appropriately. Thus, the wider forepart on the full toe trees makes sense, given they can't expand.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am not intimately familiar with Carmina, so I don't know how their widths fit. I just figured if I didn't mention the EE width, someone else was going to.

Here's the problem with their options over all their lasts: I'm going to assume (though perhaps this is wrong) that they can't make each of their styles of shoe on any of those lasts. So, for example, their LWB can't be made on a narrow last, if its only made up for their extra wide last. So yeah, they have options, but if you want a pair of their boots, and they only come on a last that doesn't work for you at that width, you're out of luck. This is as opposed to AE who does a wonderful job of making their lasts available over the full range of widths.

The flaw in your argument is that, identical to Carmina, not all AE lasts work for all feet, regardless of the shoe's availability in different widths. I cannot wear the 8 last because a D width is perfect in the heel but too narrow at the ball of my foot. The E width in the 8 last is too wide in the heel and my foot swims in the shoe. Same problem with the 2 last for most people. There are also many with low volume feet that cannot wear the 5 last due to the bowing issue. Some cannot get a good fit with the 7 last, regardless of width.

With regard to Carmina, I will never get my foot in the Simpson and other narrow lasts, but the Rain, Inca and Forest lasts are almost identical in shape to the narrow lasts and work for wider feet.

I do agree with you, though, that an individual with an irregular width or other fit issue is much more likely to find a shoe that fits him at AE than at Carmina, due to the number of AE lasts and widths available.

It is interesting to me that we are only discussing Carmina vs. AE with regards to quality. For me, my major incentive to step up to Carmina is not the difference in the finishing, but the difference in the lasts. The stubby toe cap and extended welt on the Park Avenue and 5th Avenue can appear blobby, which is why I began looking elsewhere for my cap toes. When I justify the price increase to go outside AE's offering, it is to obtain a sleeker shoe on a last that fits my foot as well or better than AE. When it comes to more casual shoes, I can't see myself going outside of AE.

DNSamurai

Reaction score
The proper term is "full toe" for the ones that are fixed. When the split toe trees are inserted, they expand to fill the space appropriately. Thus, the wider forepart on the full toe trees makes sense, given they can't expand.
Interesting. Thanks.

Why would someone choose a full-toe versus the split-toe, or vice versa?

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting. Thanks.

Why would someone choose a full-toe versus the split-toe, or vice versa?

You are probably going to get several responses to that question. Personally, I think it comes down to individual preference. AE claims that the full-toe tree is better for AE models, and the split toe tree is better for "all other brands." I don't believe that, or see any reason why that would be true. All full-toe trees are the same shape, but AE's has many different shaped lasts. Unless they somehow used a computer to "average" out the shape to basically accommodate all their lasts to some degree, then it doesn't seem like it would matter.

I use full-toe trees because the split toe trees annoy me. Plain and simple.
biggrin.gif
I find the split toe ones to be more finicky, and I always feel the need to reach inside the shoe to make sure they are fully expanded with my fingers, because they never seem to expand appropriately on their own. This may not be the case for everyone, but it's been my experience.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You are probably going to get several responses to that question. Personally, I think it comes down to individual preference. AE claims that the full-toe tree is better for AE models, and the split toe tree is better for "all other brands." I don't believe that, or see any reason why that would be true. All full-toe trees are the same shape, but AE's has many different shaped lasts. Unless they somehow used a computer to "average" out the shape to basically accommodate all their lasts to some degree, then it doesn't seem like it would matter.

I use full-toe trees because the split toe trees annoy me. Plain and simple.
biggrin.gif
I find the split toe ones to be more finicky, and I always feel the need to reach inside the shoe to make sure they are fully expanded with my fingers, because they never seem to expand appropriately on their own. This may not be the case for everyone, but it's been my experience.

I do this as well. Always need to check to make sure they expanded.

green garden

Reaction score
The flaw in your argument is that, identical to Carmina, not all AE lasts work for all feet, regardless of the shoe's availability in different widths. I cannot wear the 8 last because a D width is perfect in the heel but too narrow at the ball of my foot. The E width in the 8 last is too wide in the heel and my foot swims in the shoe. Same problem with the 2 last for most people. There are also many with low volume feet that cannot wear the 5 last due to the bowing issue. Some cannot get a good fit with the 7 last, regardless of width.

With regard to Carmina, I will never get my foot in the Simpson and other narrow lasts, but the Rain, Inca and Forest lasts are almost identical in shape to the narrow lasts and work for wider feet.

I do agree with you, though, that an individual with an irregular width or other fit issue is much more likely to find a shoe that fits him at AE than at Carmina, due to the number of AE lasts and widths available.

It is interesting to me that we are only discussing Carmina vs. AE with regards to quality. For me, my major incentive to step up to Carmina is not the difference in the finishing, but the difference in the lasts. The stubby toe cap and extended welt on the Park Avenue and 5th Avenue can appear blobby, which is why I began looking elsewhere for my cap toes. When I justify the price increase to go outside AE's offering, it is to obtain a sleeker shoe on a last that fits my foot as well or better than AE. When it comes to more casual shoes, I can't see myself going outside of AE.
I realize this is the AE thread but will ask these questions since you seem to have a lot of experience with Carmina. I also hope that others in the thread would benefit from your response.

What are the narrow Carmina last aside from the Simpson? And which last shape corresponds to what?

I am a US C width and want to understand which of the Carmina lasts fit the best for narrow and low volume feet like mine.

Dillardiv

Reaction score

You are probably going to get several responses to that question.  Personally, I think it comes down to individual preference.  AE claims that the full-toe tree is better for AE models, and the split toe tree is better for "all other brands."  I don't believe that, or see any reason why that would be true.  All full-toe trees are the same shape, but AE's has many different shaped lasts.  Unless they somehow used a computer to "average" out the shape to basically accommodate all their lasts to some degree, then it doesn't seem like it would matter.

I use full-toe trees because the split toe trees annoy me.  Plain and simple. :D   I find the split toe ones to be more finicky, and I always feel the need to reach inside the shoe to make sure they are fully expanded with my fingers, because they never seem to expand appropriately on their own.  This may not be the case for everyone, but it's been my experience.   

I use split toes for loafers since the splits are also "shorter." I totally agree that the split toes are a pain. Full-toe is easier for me to use as well.

Reaction score
Hi Green Garden,

if you look on page 15 of the Carmina Appreciation thread there is a picture of the Alcudia, Roberts, and Forest lasts descriptions of their respective fit by Bullswim. I wear a 13d in the Kenliworth, Delray, and Clifton. All three are fairly roomy on my foot so I am probably somewhere between a C and a D. I own a piar of shoes on the Rain and it too is rather rommy on my foot. I just received a pair on the Simpson and it is the best fitting shoe I have ever owned. I have a low instep. Hope this helps

Subutai

Reaction score
So Gentlemen,
Has it been determined that AE's "Chili" welt is the closest option to Alden's "Antique" welt color?

bespoken pa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use a wide range of trees from full toe, split toe, and lasted. Although my OCD requires I put the corresponding branded trees with my shoes.

Note to self: Do not enter a debate with MWS. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads