• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

kentyman

Reaction score
Here is a picture straight out of the box. You can see the rough patch on the toe.

Here's a more recent one.

It's still there, but not as noticeable. I assume the frequent brushing smoothed it down some.

Thank you for sharing this. I think I've been convinced to keep mine!

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Trying on my new Flatirons. They're a little snug, but hopefully will ease up a tad upon breaking in. My usual size was a quite slippy, I think due to the three eyelets and my low instep.

Really wish they made these in 10.25 3E or 10 4E!!

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Badlands

DNSamurai

Reaction score
Quick question gents (as I am relatively new to the high-end shoe world),

I just took a stroll during my lunch break and found a local cobbler. I asked how much he charged for adding rubber soles and he said $50. I asked if he would do it for $30 if I promised to bring in two more pairs of shoes next week (Strands and Neumoks). He agreed.

Is $30 a reasonable price for vibram soles and heel caps (I think that's what he called them)?

Anyways, it took about 10 minutes so I waited while he did the work on my Daltons.

Last edited:

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

eztantz

Reaction score

I just took a stroll during my lunch break and found a local cobbler. I asked how much he charged for adding rubber soles and he said $50. I asked he would do it for $30 if I promised to bring in two more pairs of shoes next week (Strands and Neumoks). He agreed.

Is $30 a reasonable price for vibram soles and heel caps (I think that's what he called them)?

Anyways, it took about 10 minutes so I waited while he did the work on my Daltons.

Sounds about right to me. My wife took a pair of boots to an expensive cobbler in brooklyn heights near her office and even he only charged $40 for soles and heels. I'm having a pair done near me currently for $30. I'd say $50 is quite overpriced.

Edit: In retrospect I'm having heels done as well so I think your paying a bit more but not much - difference of $6 perhaps.

Last edited:

IronStyle

Reaction score

Purchased this pair of Fifth Avenues as part of the RDA sale and they are firsts. Overall they look great but is the perforated captoe line not straight on the right shoe or is it just me? Here's a pic of the left and right shoes to compare. And if it's visible, worth an exchange?

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I guess 25-30 sounds reasonable. I want to have this done to a pair of boots or two so I'll have to see what people charge. I think one might get a discount for bulk. I'll have 2-3 pairs that need to have them done so we'll see.

Purchased this pair of Fifth Avenues as part of the RDA sale and they are firsts. Overall they look great but is the perforated captoe line not straight on the right shoe or is it just me? Here's a pic of the left and right shoes to compare. And if it's visible, worth an exchange?

Wabi sabi my friend. If you're looking for perfection, look at things made by machine. Part of the appeal of having everything handcrafted is that it will be different every time even if just a little bit.

Last edited:

OptoDoc

Reaction score
It's a bit slanted on the right shoe, but not obscenely so. Once they are on your feet, no one will notice but you. My Bayfields have one of the captoe lines just a tad askew, but it doesn't bother me. If it bothers you, return them...IMO they are fine.

Last edited:

cincikid

Reaction score

I just took a stroll during my lunch break and found a local cobbler. I asked how much he charged for adding rubber soles and he said $50. I asked if he would do it for $30 if I promised to bring in two more pairs of shoes next week (Strands and Neumoks). He agreed.

The price also varies by the quality of the rubber sole (e.g. no-name vs. Vibram) but I'd say $30 sounds reasonable. I am actually curious to try whether this might be something I could do on a weekend. I have a pair of old Loake's for this small DIY project.

P.S. If you a looking for the "high-end shoe world," you might be on a wrong thread. AE is definitely at the left-hand side of the distribution of the quality, Goodyear welted shoes.

Last edited:

chinngiskhaan

Reaction score
The price also varies by the quality of the rubber sole (e.g. no-name vs. Vibram) but I'd say $30 sounds reasonable. I am actually curious to try whether this might be something I could do on a weekend. I have a pair of old Loake's for this small DIY project.

P.S. If you a looking for the "high-end shoe world," you might be on a wrong thread. AE is definitely at the left-hand side of the distribution of the quality, Goodyear welted shoes.
to most average Joes AE's would definitely be considered high end. While not as high end as some other brands, they are certainly much higher quality wise and price wise than the dress shoes that most guys would consider purchasing.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

to most average Joes AE's would definitely be considered high end. While not as high end as some other brands, they are certainly much higher quality wise and price wise than the dress shoes that most guys would consider purchasing.

This is true. I have a classmate in grad school (in his forties but wears cargo shorts, running shoes, a golf polo, and a sun visor on his belt) that thinks of AE as a grail shoe. This guy is a Director at SAP so I know it is not a money issue, rather how he chooses to spend his money.

SBear

Reaction score

I see it because you pointed it out. If it will bother you then definitely return them. I agree with the previous 'wabi sabi' posts and I would like them all the more for showing just a hint of unique character and not being machine made.

MrWN

Reaction score
For chukkas, what does everyone use in terms of shoe trees? Just the regular shoe trees? Or something else?
I found it a bit awkward and difficult using regular shoe trees.

cincikid

Reaction score
This is true. I have a classmate in grad school (in his forties but wears cargo shorts, running shoes, a golf polo, and a sun visor on his belt) that thinks of AE as a grail shoe. This guy is a Director at SAP so I know it is not a money issue, rather how he chooses to spend his money.

True, but the fact that OP is on the SF doesn't qualify him as an Average Joe, as far as I am concerned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads