Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SBear

SBear Senior member

I suppose that is possible. Getting oil within the bone matrix would be much easier if it was done prior to killing the animal, under deep anesthesia of course, through a microvascular perfusion. Once the bone is harvested, removed of soft tissue, and dried, soaking in oil should only penetrate a very minimal distance (much less than a millimeter) and that would not last very long. So, maybe a small bit of oils are sitting on the surface when you receive the bone from a company but anything lasting in the long term is more likely to come from the oils in the cordovan. The only way of getting oils deeper into the bone matrix that I could envision is through high heat and pressure - not something that is likely to be economically viable as this is an expensive process. I haven't cut cross sections of the bones used for boning and gone through the appropriate staining procedures, I just know about bone and tissue penetration of solutions/solutes. If anyone wants to send me one of these bones, I'm happy to process it in my lab and report back, I've certainly been wrong before. This one just seems very far fetched to me. Let's be practical though - if there is some magical oil that could be impregnated into bone, is great for cordovan, and oozes out as you scrape your shoes with the bone. Why isn't it being sold? We could all just put a tiny amount on the shoe and scrape it around with any smooth object of a temperature close to that (or slightly warmer than) the leather.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2013

2. OptoDoc

OptoDoc Senior member

Someone please send SBear a deer bone. I thoroughly look forward to his cross section analysis. Something akin to the diagram pictures provided by MWS regarding welts & insoles.

3. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

I don't know how the oil gets in there but the deer bone I use (with great results) on my shell shoes is definitely oily, and that is certainly one difference between it and some random spoon or other sundry smooth object.

4. OptoDoc

OptoDoc Senior member

1. It is actually pretty accurate (as long as you are using it correctly) to get what is referred to as your 'true size'. However, that doesn't mean you will be that size in the shoes you desire.

2. For instance, in these two models I would recommend you size down one half and up one width from what the sizing chart gives you. Depending on what shoes you already have in your rotation, if you are going to get either of these, I would stick to brown, bourbon or burgundy.

3. I wouldn't purchase used shoes for your first pair as you have no idea what size will fit you best at this point. Save that for down the road when you have tried on multiple lasts and have a good idea of their sizing. You can routinely get new Brooks Brothers versions of the Strand from the Shoebank for less than $150 (although they are not first quality, I'd still rather this than a used shoe.)

5. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Heh. Thanks for the advice.

Just curious, would it be stupid to wear boots to med school/residency interviews? I know a bow tie is overkill for them since it's just not that common.

The surgeons I work with dress pretty well. One of them wears a suit every day he's in clinic. The others also dress pretty sharp. Most of the other surgeons in the department also wear suits or chinos/khakis with a blazer.

I'm definitely going to buy a pair of shoes that I can wear longer term, maybe even in brown/tan. I think I'll wait for a 2 for 250 sale. Does anyone know how often those happen and how I can find out about them? Is there an email that goes out? Also, those are for seconds, right?

As an aside, I have a pair of Kenneth Cole square toe shoes that I really like. They're definitely not the most flattering, but they're super comfortable. I had them reheeled recently and the cobbler was shocked that the leather was good. He said that the uppers were pretty decent and the rubber sole was pretty good for the brand. He said most suck. I'm happy to have been lucky!

Thanks again.

Edit: Gawd those webgem bow ties are HIDEOUS. Why are they selling pre-tied bowties? I'm 24 and I know how to tie one and wear them to work pretty often. What next? Velcro closures for shoes because monkstraps take too long to buckle?

6. random-adam

random-adam Senior member

I love this thread.

7. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

OHHH MAAAHHHH GAWWWDDDD MYYY EYYEESSSSS!!!

8. cincikid

cincikid Senior member

+1

9. cincikid

cincikid Senior member

+ 1 for everything you've said above. However, I am not sure I'd suggest the OP to try the Shoebank route, unless someone at the store could examine the shoes in person before getting them shipped. Although the defects are typically pretty negligible (if noticeable at all), the prospects of getting the shoes shipped to the Philippines and back, doesn't sound good to me.

10. DNSamurai

DNSamurai Senior member

This.

My fiance said I could get a pair if I get her the $500 Tory Burch boots she wants. [​IMG]

11. AndrewN

AndrewN Active Member

That's doesn't sound like a fair deal. You should bargain for two pairs if you get her the $500 boots [​IMG]

12. DNSamurai

DNSamurai Senior member

Well, in fairness...I went from not having any AEs in July, to now having five pairs.

I guess we don't really need to do a wedding...right?

13. OptoDoc

OptoDoc Senior member

Good call. I overlooked where the OP said he lived overseas.

14. eztantz

eztantz Senior member

E customer service is unbeatable!

I was in the AE Outlet in Riverhead Long Island about 5 weeks ago and they were running a sale on discontinued items - 2 for $250 I asked for two shoes and they told me that the system had them listed as in stock and they would call me when they heard back from stores that had them. They called 2 days later and apologized telling me that neither store could find the shoes.When the Rediscovery sale started I called again and asked if they could re-look for the San Marco and this time they did manage to find it. I ordered it on the spot and it came a few days later. I didnt bother to ask for the Numora because I figured the likelihood of them both being found was close to nil. Plus they probably wouldn't give it to me at the earlier discount. After my shoes came I called them and asked them if they would honor the earlier 2 @ $250 discount if they could find the Numora's. The sales woman told me she wasn't sure and would have to ask her manager. She called me today and said they would honor the deal but they would have to locate them. I got an e-reciept about 30 minutes ago for the second pair. Numora and San Marco for $250 shipped. The price and service just doesn't get any better.

15. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Senior member

I tried the same thing with BB and RL shoes. 2/$250 instead of $149 each.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.