1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: A Bespoke Coat from David Reeves

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Bespoke Coat from David Reeves. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NWTeal

NWTeal Distinguished Member

Aren't the bones used in shoe care oil infused after the fact?

2. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Distinguished Member

I'd imagine. the bone I got from hangar project recently definitely left the pair of shells I used it on with an oily substance. I cant see it being brought up out of the shell with how little force I applied.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2013

3. WICaniac

WICaniac Senior Member

Most of the people on SF (or regulars on this thread with a fetish for MTOs, at least) would never consider them, but the Fenways may be worth considering. As for wanting something in black that isn't usually available in that color, you could do an MTO during the spring sale, getting the shoe you want in any color at 20% off.

On a lace-up, your toes need not be all the way forward in the shoe. The problem you may encounter, however, is that the shoe will flex in the cap, which doesn't look great and can pinch your toes. I would probably go a half size down and have the shoes stretched to accommodate your pinky toe. AE will do this for free. I had it done on one pair with very good results.

A different issue altogether: why does AE sell pre-tied bow ties and gaudy cummerbunds? We've let go of the discussion on brand prestige, but if anything would diminish my respect for the brand, this would be it.

4. losrockets

losrockets Senior Member

Thanks to everybody who responded to my comment. Didn't mean to offend any sensibilities w/ my mention of Rockport et al. (All of my shoes are currently AE w/ a pair of Alden on the way) I was just throwing it out there based on personal experience in a similar situation. If you can wear leather sole shoes for extended periods of time without discomfort, go for it!

5. beyond

beyond Member

That's awesome that they agreed on the ridge being an issue. I noticed the ridge on my AE's wingtip models. It's great to see that AE is doing things to change this.

Thanks for being the catalyst for this change!

Last edited: Oct 17, 2013

6. GOP Shoe Guy

GOP Shoe Guy Senior Member

That is what I understand. Otherwise, I know enough hunters, that I could just get them to harvest this deer bone for me, and I would sell them to all of you and make a fortune... They are infused, they aren't just a deer bone.

I set mine on my desk after I first got it, and a few days it left a couple of oily spots where the bone touched the desk.

7. wurger

wurger Distinguished Member

agreed, not a fan of the toe shape at all, way too short and round.

8. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Distinguished Member

I did try a pair of park avenue's. The salesman told me to size down to an 8E from the 8.5E of my daltons. They fit pretty well, but my heel was coming up. He said that'd go away once the cork bed broke in.

I compared the shoe to the fifth street and I'm not sure how i felt about it. The boot was awesome, but there wasn't much to it in terms of the height. It's just like a chukka in that sense. I wanted something more hefty.

Thanks again for all your help folks. I'll probably be back in a year or so heh.

9. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Distinguished Member

I would be leery of a salesman who said, don't worry it will get better. It's true that with leather soles there is a break in period, even more so with double leather, but the shoes should be comfortable before you leave the store.

10. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

+1

11. cbtaylor

cbtaylor Senior Member

Ralph Lauren Sanderson

[​IMG]

12. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

That is a great looking LWB!

13. jpjdavid83

jpjdavid83 Member

I'm really interested in purchasing my first pair of AE. I hope you guys can help me out with some of my questions.

1. Is the sizing chart in the AE website accurate? I understand that it will always be best if I go to an actual store but in my case that is not possible since AE is not available locally in my country (Philippines). Based on the chart my shoe size is a 9D.

2. I am currently looking at either the Strand or the Mcallister. Any inputs on which I should get first would be highly appreciated. Also since I am a size 9D do I need to size up/down based on these shoe models?

3. If I am going to buy second hand shoes, what are the things that I should look/check out for?

Thanks.

14. willsgillen

willsgillen Well-Known Member

As a current derm resident and having been through both med school and residency interviews my advice would be to grab something that you like and can continue to wear. Both sets of interviews are pretty informal and most of the people who are interviewing you can barely dress themselves. There's always something to be said for being dressed well/appropriately, but it's certainly not absolutely necessary to wear black cap toes to med school or residency interviews. Dark brown punch caps with a navy suit would be perfectly fine and as long as they fit well you'll probably be one of the better-dressed people you meet on your interviews. If you like burgundy you may end up being the only person on the interview trail with burgundy shoes and that's not necessarily a bad thing. When I was interviewing I saw plenty of people dressed in pretty atrocious suits with long square-toed Kenneth Cole shoes and most of them ended up where they wanted to be.

In med school I wore tennis shoes if I was wearing scrubs and otherwise always at least some decent shoes, chinos, shirt and tie for clinic and wards. Currently I spend all day in my clinic and have no problems wearing leather-soled shoes all day. The only time I wear tennis shoes is on surgery days when I wear scrubs. My rotation includes full brogues, semibrogues, punch caps, monks, dub monks, suede, shell and calf. I get plenty of compliments on my shoes but can't remember ever having been accused of being overdressed or too flashy. All of that being said, even in a fully clinic-based setting there are plenty of people who wear chinos and boat shoes with no tie and nobody gives them a hard time for it.

15. jch1

jch1 Senior Member

My MTO order is scheduled to ship today, just three weeks after I placed my order with Allison. Navy (the old style used on the Player's Shoe) suede Strand, single flat JR sole, tone-on stitching, light brown transparent edge.

My next MTO will likely be a combination that AE has never made before...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.