• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
More of the Brown shell shoes:

Just to clarify, bucksfan's image above shows a brown shell strand (next to the C&J/RL PTB) in AE's 'Brown Shell Cordovan" which has been available for some time now. It's not the new cappuccino color, correct?

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just to clarify, bucksfan's image above shows a brown shell strand (next to the C&J/RL PTB) in AE's 'Brown Shell Cordovan" which has been available for some time now. It's not the new cappuccino color, correct?

My understanding is that the C&J/AE Dark Brown is Horween Dark Cognac. I don't think anyone knows the name Horween gives to the color shell used for AE Cappuccino. It could come directly from Horween, looking as it does in the photos, with the name Cappuccino. Alternately, it could be called something else by Horween and then undergo some post tanning finishing by AE (like Alden does with their #8 and Ravello).

easy_golfing

Reaction score
can anybody else compare how the Macneil's fit compared to the Daltons? I wear 10.5D in Macneils and wouldn't mind any extra space in the toebox, but don't want any wider of a heel. I'm trying to decide between 10 and 10.5

Last edited:

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A few pages back, someone asked me about my "collection."   I had a day off today, and thought I would take advantage of the sunshine and take a few pics. 

First: entire collection (note I only used the left shoe of each pair...

Row 1: (L to R) brown scotch grain AE Macneil, Brown cordovan RL Marlow PTB, Burgundy shell AE Leeds Black shell AE leeds, black calf AE Park Avenue
Row 2: brown shell AE strand, burgundy shell AE Macneil, burgundy shell AE Bradley, burgundy shell AE Randolph, burgundy shell AE Grayson, black calf AE Grayson
Row 3: AE Dalton in walnut calf, Alden for J. Crew cap toe boot in #8 shell. 

More of the Burgundy shell AE's:

More of the Black AEs:

More of the Boots:

You seem to like Cordovan. Which is the best pair to have in Cordovan/ what is your favorite pair of cordovans?

runner-guy

Reaction score
Hey fellas. saw a pair of AE Malverns on eBay but not sure if I should pull the trigger. Can someone give me more insight on sizing for the Malvern? I've read some people say it runs narrow. Not sure if I should go up 1/2 size.

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hey fellas. saw a pair of AE Malverns on eBay but not sure if I should pull the trigger. Can someone give me more insight on sizing for the Malvern? I've read some people say it runs narrow. Not sure if I should go up 1/2 size.

I bought my usual size 11B from Allen Edmonds as they had it available (in the wrong color). I then decided to return them as they were a little tight on my little toe. I then ordered through Nordstrom 11.5B and I'm waiting for them to arrive. I sized up, but we'll see how it turns out.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I get what you are saying and there is plenty of snark here at SF. However there are a handful of threads, like this one where for the most part, common courtesy is the rule, not the exception. When an otherwise rational, courteous individual flies off the handle, it's incongruous. People notice that sort of thing...and comment on it. I don't think it's a matter or hurt feelings or [over] sensitivity.

There is a difference between winning the horses ass award and actually being a horses ass.
As I was the one who made the comment, please note that I have already manned up and corrected that if you read my previous post, so we are past that now.

With that said, would anybody walk up to a stranger on the street, notice a gap in the fit of his shoes and call him ignorant and a horses ass? Of course not.

Only those who truly care would.
Let's get back to AE love shall we? Do you have a favourite pair?

Last edited:

g.michael

Reaction score

I'm not sure if you know, but the dark brown used by C&J is actually the same color as the brown used by AE on the Strand. I love that color. It's so much nicer IRL than Alden's green Cigar.

I can confirm this as I was wearing my RL PTB recently and tried on the brown shell strand--same exact color. The RL's come out of the box darker but lighten up quickly to the same shade so I suspect C&J covers them with some dark polish before they leave the factory.

bucksfan

Reaction score
You seem to like Cordovan. Which is the best pair to have in Cordovan/ what is your favorite pair of cordovans?

For comfort, I love my Macneils and Leeds. Something about the double sole makes them very comfortable. From a looks perspective, the Strands are my favorite. The RL PTBs also have a double sole, but something about that last makes them a little less comfortable on my foot.

can anybody else compare how the Macneil's fit compared to the Daltons? I wear 10.5D in Macneils and wouldn't mind any extra space in the toebox, but don't want any wider of a heel. I'm trying to decide between 10 and 10.5

I am a 12D in each, but the Daltons are definitely roomier in the same size. The heels are roomier in the Daltons, but most boots are I think.

Last edited:

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

For comfort, I love my Macneils and Leeds.  Something about the double sole makes them very comfortable.  From a looks perspective, the Strands are my favorite. The RL PTBs also have a double sole, but something about that last makes them a little less comfortable on my foot. 

I am a 12D in each, but the Daltons are definitely roomier in the same size.  The heels are roomier in the Daltons, but most boots are I think. 

I haven't seen the cappuccino in person, but I bet they're the same brown as the Strands and RL shoes I pictured, with some finishing applied to the cappuccino. 

What color do you like better in Cordovan? Burgundy or Brown?

bucksfan

Reaction score
What color do you like better in Cordovan? Burgundy or Brown?

I end up wearing my burgundy shell more often, but that might be a function of my clothing. I can wear burgundy shell shoes with almost anything, from jeans to suits, with any color except black.

My brown shell shoes are equally versatile with regard to formality, but less versatile regarding colors. For example, they really don't work well with brown slacks, which I sometimes wear. I end up wearing the brown shells mostly with navy, tan, or grey.

If you are looking to get your first pair of shell cordovan shoes, and want them to be as versatile as possible, I think I'd recommend burgundy shell Macneils or Leeds. If, however, you are not as worried about versatility, go for the brown. They are real eye-catchers.

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I end up wearing my burgundy shell more often, but that might be a function of my clothing.  I can wear burgundy shell shoes with almost anything, from jeans to suits, with any color except black. 

My brown shell shoes are equally versatile with regard to formality, but less versatile regarding colors.  For example, they really don't work well with brown slacks, which I sometimes wear.  I end up wearing the brown shells mostly with navy, tan, or grey.   

If you are looking to get your first pair of shell cordovan shoes, and want them to be as versatile as possible, I think I'd recommend burgundy shell Macneils or Leeds.  If, however, you are not as worried about versatility, go for the brown.  They are real eye-catchers. 

What about Cambridge?

bucksfan

Reaction score
What about Cambridge?

They are great shoes, and would make a great first shell shoe - I'm currently trying to decide whether to add those, cappuccino McAllisters or the RL brown shell wingtips next, since I don't have any shortwings.

Last edited:

harlequin782

Reaction score
I feel like there is something Im missing here. I hear so much about the decline in quality of Allen Edmond shoes. Yet I received my second pair of Allen Edmond's yesterday and I did what I considered to be a pretty thorough examination of the shoe, inside and out. Perhaps I just dont know which flaws to look for, but I am pleased as pie with my purchase. They look excellent to me, and fit perfectly. Undoubtedly my very finite knowledge base of men's foot wear is causing me to overlook what should be some extremely objectionable defects, but so far Im really pleased with the quality of both pairs of my Allen Edmond firsts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads