1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tampatravel

tampatravel Senior Member

OK...so who are we going to nominate to have Allison's contact info in their signature on here? I'm thinking RTP, Rydenfan, or Tifosi :)

2. DHD28

DHD28 Senior Member

Quick! Brown Mora 2.0 or White/Walnut Broadstreet??? I only have two hours left!

3. Jeweler

Jeweler Member

You can call Jeffersonville still tomorrow. They will usually honor sale prices a day or so after a sale.

4. rydenfan

rydenfan Distinguished Member

This is only one shoe and some Renovateur...

[​IMG]

5. evolved

evolved Senior Member

Geez.....that's pretty concerning. Let us know how you go about remedying that issue.

6. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Distinguished Member

Yes, I have seen it on a few shoes, but it went away when I applied Renvovateur or Saphir cordovan cream. Not sure if I was brushing too hard or the shell was dry, but this took care of it. I've never had it happen to a brand new pair of shoes, though, as it has always happened after the brushing has removed all the factory polish.

7. BCer

BCer Senior Member

edit

Last edited: Oct 16, 2013

8. polojock615

polojock615 Senior Member

I've found that a deer bone can help in this situation. Mine do it sometimes too.

9. polojock615

polojock615 Senior Member

Yup. I have them in black already.

10. kentyman

kentyman Senior Member

Even though I was busy traveling for the last month, I managed to get in on the $299 shell seconds to grab some Burgundy Cordovan Patriots.

My first question regards fit. I'm an 8.5D/E in the 5-65 last and a 9D in the 1-511 (Shelton and Finch saddle shoes) and 2592 (Center Fielder and Harbour boat shoes). I went with the 8.5D on the advice of the sales associate because he thought without laces to tighten, you want to make sure it isn't too loose. I think this is the right size for me, but I'm having trouble confirming. When barefoot, they a little snug but not bad. The heel doesn't slip, but it's also not tight on the heel. They even feel pretty good with thin socks on. I think after stretching out a tiny bit, they might be perfect. However, when I try to wear loafer socks with them, the ridge of the socks under the vamp really digs into my instep. I guess my question is, should I abandon the idea of using loafer socks with these? I worry about destroying expensive shoes with unguarded foot sweat.

Second, I had some questions about their quality. Yes, these are seconds, but I'm trying to decide if it's worth the restocking fee to try to look for better ones. My first showstopper concern was this huge block splotch on the outside of the right shoe:

[​IMG]

Luckily, to my amazement, I was able to scrape part off with my fingernail. I then used a cotton cloth with Conditioner/Cleaner to remove the rest, and it looks like this:

[​IMG]

So far so good. I did notice that the left shoe is noticeably lighter, but that's the sort of "seconds" blemish I think I can live with:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The final problem is the one I'm most concerned about. I noticed that both shoes have significant pitting on the toes, just in front of where the first crease would go:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Is this at all normal? I was surprised that they both have it in the same place. Could this actually be some physical damage? Any chance I could work on them and clear it up? The pits actually look big enough that I don't see a good way I could fix it. Let me know what you think.

Thanks in advance for all help and advice. Also, it's good to be back!

11. watchidiot

watchidiot Distinguished Member

Bump... Appreciate if someone can PM me Allison's contact info, phone num preferably. Thanks! :)

12. GOP Shoe Guy

GOP Shoe Guy Senior Member

I had that happen with my Black Macneils. I used the deer bone on the bumps to smooth them out. I also have used renovateur and venetian creme, and both will help with the discoloration of the bumps, but not reduce them. I have also gotten small bumps from rain drops. Could this be some moisture? If so, I am confident that a deer bone treatment will reduce the bumps, then a treatment from renovateur or venetian creme with fix your color issue.

13. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior Member

Re the fit - I think you are on the right track. You want loafers to be slightly tight and not moving around on your foot when they are new. They will stretch a bit and fit better as your foot sinks into the cork footbed. For what it's worth, I wear mine with dress socks or no socks. I don't bother with loafer socks, since I figure I'm good with foot sweat as long as it's mine.

Re the toe pits. That's probably why they are seconds. Unlikely to go away. I have a pair of brown shell patriots with a little of that on one of the toes, and it has never lessened. I imagine it's just part of the individual shell that they used. You need to make a decision about whether it will bother you enough to return and try again, or if they are good.

14. bkotsko

bkotsko Distinguished Member

15. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Distinguished Member

My brown shell Patriots were seconds and have the pitting as well. I found that getting the polish off and brushing the shoes made it less noticeable. Doesn't bother me at all now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.