1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. luv2breformed

luv2breformed Senior member

Yea, those were the days . . .

Really this is where I am coming from, but I can absolutely appreciate new movements in fashion as well. However, I always appreciate them within the context of where it has come from. In fact this is why I like AE so much. They are true to their roots and yet still try to offer ingenuity.

Additionally, do you dress for others, or for yourself? If for others, why aren't you just wearing sneakers and T-shirts like the rest of them? Why do you even buy leather shoes to begin with? If for yourself, does your interest in leather shoes extend into other clothing as well? Why or why not?

I dress for myself, and as such, I KNOW that these shoes are "wrong." In fact I can appreciate my own little attempt at dressing well within the context of menswear as a tradition and when I feel like I pull off bals and an odd jacket, I am pretty proud. Of course nobody else knows. Heck, when I dress up in chinos, a knit tie, and a cotton unstructured jacket people ask me why I am wearing a "suit." They clearly don't know any of the subtleties that I have become familiar with. However, it is within those subtleties that I find the greatest joy in experimenting with this whole menswear thing. I can geek out and match my "casual bals" with patterned wool trousers, an ocbd, and an unstructured soft shouldered jacket and KNOW that my gear looks coherent because they are all in the same formality territory.

Some of the biggest fit failures come from incoherent combinations where people who have no clue what the rules ever were and why they were that way to begin with try and get dressed. Leather shoes belong with certain clothing. Just like suits need certain shirts and workout shorts need certain shoes.

2. Spiker

Spiker Well-Known Member

Shoe tree questions

Split vs Full?

AE recommend their own full toe tree for their shoe but:
    medium tree can fit from 8EEE to 12AAA or 10A-10D. I fail to see how a full toe tree can accommodate for the width?
    A split toe you can at least adjust the width a little?

Brand?

Is there actually difference between a AE vs Jos A bank trees? Right now I only wear AE for occasions not every day work so I dont think the benefit of the smell/water absorbing power of 75% heartwood is going matter.

Bonus..

What do you guys do for travel in term of shoe horn/shoe tree?

3. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

A) pretty much all these brands of trees are made by Woodlore, which AE owns.

B) I have found that my own personal split toe trees don't work well for all lasts in my size. Specifically the 1 and 3 lasts. They don't fill up the entire tie boxes.

3) I have some lightweight plastic travel trees that I bought from my cobbler for $4. You can also roll up some socks. Although for extended trips to wetter climates (like Seattle or London), I will bring a full cedar pair.

4. Tradvocate

Tradvocate Senior member

They are a style called "Tom, Dick, & Harry". Similar to the MacNeil but a completely different style.

5. sacafotos

sacafotos Senior member

1) Strand or McAllister in Walnut and why?
    2) how are you doing these MTOs? I don't see an option on the site. What are typical price ranges and delivery estimates?

6. pudman43

pudman43 Senior member

HI Chinasky, how long is the drive from Montreal down to NY state? Just asking, as I live in greater Vancouver, and I'm lucky as for me the drive to the border is only 20 min. I have shipments from AE, Amazon, eBay, etc go to a mailbox I have there, and I simply pick them up when convenient for me. Saves me a TON on shipping cost. J

1 person likes this.
  7. BespokeBrooklyn

BespokeBrooklyn Senior member

8. random-adam

random-adam Senior member

Check out this thread. Post #1 will answer your questions, but it's worth reading the whole way through.

Warning: by investigating that option, you're choosing the red pill.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  9. BCer

BCer Senior member

I too am lucky enough to be able to zip across the border from the Vancouver area to pick up packages in WA. But my first thought when I read your post was "wow, someone in Montreal with nice shoes!" I was in Montreal for a business trip in January, and took a pair of Bayfields and RedWings freshly treated with HDLP, and a pair of walnut Strands for the one formal event in the hotel we were staying at. One thing I noticed in the salty, snowy, slushy weather there, EVERYONE has crappy shoes! Sitting at the bar in our hotel, glanced down the row of guys sitting there, was a guy in full-on suit and tie, nice overcoat hanging behind him, but shoes that looked like they belonged on a homeless person! No kidding. The winter weather must destroy footwear. On the west coast, a day or two of snow a year, sorrounded by 5 months of rain, keeps our sidewalks and streets clean. All we really need is topy's. So it's great to see you prove my theory wrong. Rock those Strands in Montreal!! And good luck finding shoe care products close to home - with the damaging effects of your climate, someone must carry a good selection.

1 person likes this.
  10. NWTeal

NWTeal Senior member

You can probably darken the other up with some polish or try to lighten the other with some buffing and use of reno. Also, they are not a wingtip, just a half brogue or brogue cap-toe or whatever term. Just definitely not a wingtip as they have a straight toe cap.

Edit: I forgot to mention if I would return or keep. If they have another pair in 14E or maybe a 14.5, I'd just try to exchange. If it bugs you to look at, then I'd return. No sense in keeping a pair that'll bug you unless you can be patient enough for it to even out through polishing and natural patina.

11. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

Clifton

12. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Are they offering you $365 credit or simply another full-price standard dress shoe model? If it's the former, id spring for the Jeffersons, as it's a step up in quality and discounted by over 100$.

2 people like this.
  13. LEgoiste

LEgoiste Senior member

Sorry, I believe somebody gave a tip a few pages back that the Jeffersons, not cordovans, are going to be on sale for $350 this April 11th. So, I will wait 'til this Friday and ask for walnut Jeffersons as replacement for my order that was lost in the mail.

14. Kwaker

Kwaker Senior member

There's nothing wrong with using Kiwi and Moneysworth & Best products. They can be purchased at shoe repair shops and even some groceries :eek:

15. Omert4

Omert4 Senior member

Thinking of ordering the strands in cordovan. 8 week delivery time. Will my credit card only be charged once the shoes ship?

16. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

Well said and yes I am wearing these for myself and while I love to learn about what goes with what in a proper manner from trolling the other threads on these boards that whole correct part is just not me. Not yet anyway....this forum is having a bad effect on me as I started looking for twill pants....

17. Chinasky

Chinasky New Member

Hello Pudman. Actually I am about 40 mins from the border, maybe I should consider a mailbox ... what is the price for something like that?

Haha, indeed our weather is terrible for shoes, especially the salt they put everywhere to melt the snow. That being said, a good pair of overshoes/galoshes will effectively protect your shoes around here. Unfortunately they also look terrible, so forget about looking good outside. Montrealers don't wear them around much though (it was much more popular a generation or two ago), most prefer to buy cheap shoes and change them every year ...

Thanks for the tips! No luck for AEs product in Canada then ... you guys know of a company that has a leather cream similar to AEs bourbon?

Cheers,

18. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

I have a pair of Walnut Jefferson's on the way and Mora 2.0 Bourbon so thinking I can unload the Walnut MacNeil's and Bourbon Fifth Ave's... any reason I should hang on to them? There is no suit pairing issues or cares on my part with what I wear Bals or Blutcher's with.

Just trying to get my shoe rotation(excluding boots) down to about 15 pair over the next few months.

19. BCer

BCer Senior member

I just sent you a PM. Check it out.

20. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

Anyone successfully darkened AE shell cordovan before?

I have a pair of burgundy shell Macneils on the way and would prefer them to be darker.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.