Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. green garden

green garden Senior member

This is from the AE site:

"Allen Edmonds shoes come in lengths from 6-16. Each half size increases by approximately one-sixth of an inch and each full size increases by one-third of an inch. The widths of Allen Edmonds shoes range from AAA, the narrowest width, to EEE, the widest width, with a D width considered medium. Technically speaking, each width increases by approximately three-sixteenths of an inch in total girth."

I knew I read this once and guessed it was in the All about Last page.

2. tietherope

tietherope Senior member

I was actually wondering the width difference between say a 10D and a 9.5D, not a 10D and 10E.

I do appreciate the information though.

3. random-adam

random-adam Senior member

Unfortunately, there is no specific reference to the OP's original question (e.g. if you go from a 10D to a 9.5D, what if any width decrease takes place).

I'd suggest interpreting the very last chart on their fit guide to determine how width correlates to size.

4. kentyman

kentyman Senior member

I didn't realize AE Conditioner/Cleaner isn't recommended for shell. The description of CC says "Recommended use on Calfskin and other fine leathers", but that's vague. However, I did just find that AE's shell care video specifically mentions it for heavier cleaning.

Any specific reason you don't recommend CC on shell? I do have a small amount of Renovateur, but I figured if I'm going to but stripping over and over, I'd rather use something cheaper if it's still suitable.

5. green garden

green garden Senior member

Based on my experience it is size up width down, and vice-versa. So a 10D would be equivalent width to a 9.5E. Corollary, a 9.5D would be equivalent in width to 10C. So from the site explanation, it is 3/16 inch difference in girth.

This is comparing the same last of course.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2013

6. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

Ah, I see what you are saying now. I apologize. In this instance, I would hope they would waive the cost. I'm not positive of that, however. It's worth checking with Allison to see, since that $50 charge is covering a "custom" modification, it seems that they should waive it for the SF offer if you ask me.

7. tampatravel

tampatravel Senior member

They're 12D's and they're on my feet today in Philly. I'm on the road and these are some great kicks. I'm thinking of dropping them off for a recraft at the Philly AE store, but I think they have many more miles on them to be honest.

8. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

Those look fantastic, Ryden!

Last edited: Oct 15, 2013

9. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

They should waive the $50. I just placed an MTO for a boot that is out of size range (which normally incurrs the $50 charge). Allison waived that charge with the SF MTO deal.

10. WICaniac

WICaniac Senior member

Sandy, the head of AE's recrafting department, recently confirmed for me that you can use the Conditioner/Cleaner on shell, but she mentioned that it will take of the patina as well as any buildup. It is, indeed, for "heavier cleaning."

11. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

For what it's worth, I use both AE cleaner and conditioner and Renovateur on my calfskin shoes, so I'm pretty familiar with both products. Generally, I find that Renovateur does a better job of stripping off the top layer of polish, which is what you are looking to do. I feel like the AE product does a good job cleaning surface dirt and conditioning, but it does not seem to remove as much polish.

With regard to shell, I go back to the warnings about using petroleum based products and other cleaners that are not intended for shell. Would the AE cleaner or conditioner harm your shell shoes? I have no idea, but I wouldn't want to experiment to find out. As has been posted here numerous times, Horween recommends both Venetian Shoe Cream and Renovateur for cleaning and conditioning shell, which seems to be what most here use.

My main point, though, was that the simple act of using a damp rag and brushing the shell will go a long way towards cleaning off the excess polish on the shoes. If you're looking for the cheapest option, this is definitely it - but it will also definitely involve a significant investment of elbow grease.

12. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Senior member

Styleforum: Where guys can be clothing snobs with other guys who "get it."

13. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Senior member

AE may still have seconds for $149. I bought suede Stratfords about a week ago.

14. MacktasticGDogg

MacktasticGDogg Senior member

I contacted AE about my flawed shell Jeffersons, and Debra offered to replace them and also offered me the RDA discount on it. She will also have a 2nd inspection done on it before shipping out to me, so hopefully the new pair will be issue-free. Great customer service by AE as always.

I guess you size 9D guys might want to keep an eye out for a pair of brown shell Jefferson factory seconds floating out there in the near future.

15. kentyman

kentyman Senior member

Thanks for this. I'll compare just a damp rag with Reno and see how it goes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.