Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

Hackers must have compromise some accounts, only possible explanation :D

2. harlequin782

harlequin782 Senior member

As a casual observer and a style forum noob just scrolling through the posts, I strongly agree that comment was intensly ignorant and uncalled for. It just is what it is, but I highly doubt anyone's going to become suicidal over a styleforum post. Either way, there's no harm in drawing focus to an unnecessarily juvenile attack.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
  3. CounselorStyle

CounselorStyle Well-Known Member

Question for those of you with a lot more experience dealing with AE:

I contacted my local store about finding a pair of Malverns in my size during the clearance sale that ended a couple of days ago, and I was told that all the stock had been pulled from shelves as the model was no longer being stocked.

Is this a seasonal thing, such that it will be back in the fall when boots are more appropriate, or have they been discontinued? I'd find the latter odd, since they're in the 2012 catalog.

I'm currently sitting on a pair of $200 Malverns that don't fit and the complete inability to exchange them.

4. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

I'm not sure if you know, but the dark brown used by C&J is actually the same color as the brown used by AE on the Strand. I love that color. It's so much nicer IRL than Alden's green Cigar.

5. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

csc67 well done and I agree totally, not sure what I would have said. To say MOL statement surprised me is an understatement. But it also pissed me off that it was in the middle of bucksfan post of the most beautiful shell collection, primarily AE, that I believe I have ever seen. Talk about bad timing.They say a picture is worth a thousand words and I think MOL jumped to conclusions without reading. Which is uncharacteristic of him but it is not my job to defend him. I deal with people all day long who I want to say I can only type so slow for. Obviously MOL and many others don’t read everything posted and just make assumptions by looking at pictures instead of dealing with facts and data.

After I retired from the Navy I did business process improvement consulting across pretty much all vertical markets, with a strong focus on manufacturing companies from small LLC to fortune 100. What quickly shocked me is that many American manufactures make money despite themselves, not because of their manufacturing processes. Quality Control is an important part of that process as is customer service. I would really like to see AE succeed for many reasons that I will not get into. But allowing the amount of deviation in topline gap in my latest shoes and that or more in yours is totally unsatisfactory. Unless you are a weather forecaster with an educational title of Piled Higher and Deeper.

6. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

I don't know which one it is exactly, but if you check out the stores in Wisconsin on the Allen Edmonds website you should be able to find it. Maybe near Port Washington? Just throwing a guess out there. I'm not really sure which exact store it is. It's always called the shoe bank on here.

7. CounselorStyle

CounselorStyle Well-Known Member

(262) 284-7158

I emailed them a couple of weeks ago to get their inventory, and that number was listed in the reply.

8. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

Yep- the same raw material. I will say that my strands get the most compliments. I wonder how the new cappuccino looks in relation. I also agree about the profile differences between the Leeds and my RL PTBs.

Thanks for he positive comments, guys.

9. ejomby

ejomby Active Member

That's it, pretty much. Shoebank at allenedmonds dot com.

10. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

I've seen posts before commenting on AE quality control or lack there of. It's disappointing as I have just recently discovered AE as a gateway to better shoes. But it makes sense, rapid growth is going to lead to problems. Manufacturing facilities have to be expanded, and new staff has to be hired and trained. Until the new recruits have some experience under their belt, maybe a few years or more, I would expect quality to decrease somewhat. And the quality control department may not be used to working with the higher production volumes.

I'd like to be optimistic that things will improve. Of course, only time will tell.

11. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

Edit-

I took another look at my reaction earlier and agree I was too harsh.
    2 wrongs don't make a right. My apologies.

12. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

Bucksfan thank you for sharing these photos. Wonderful shoes and boots. I don't remember ever seeing so much AE in shell in one place before. Bravo! :worship:

13. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

I had no idea. thanks for that bit of info Joe and thanks again for sharing those images bucksfan. I'll snap a quick pic of my rotation today as well. It consists of a half dozen pair of AE's or so with some others in the mix as well.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2012
  14. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

I get what you are saying and there is plenty of snark here at SF. However there are a handful of threads, like this one where for the most part, common courtesy is the rule, not the exception. When an otherwise rational, courteous individual flies off the handle, it's incongruous. People notice that sort of thing...and comment on it. I don't think it's a matter or hurt feelings or [over] sensitivity.

With that said, would anybody walk up to a stranger on the street, notice a gap in the fit of his shoes and call him ignorant and a horses ass? Of course not.

15. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

damn those cappucino brown shells are awesome.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.