1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

I think they run the sale a few times a year and I cannot speak for if that time is always the same. One just past in Feb so I do not forsee another one upcoming. It is also uncertain if the sale that just past will be the last at the $299 price point given the recent increase of shell from AE.

2. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

It's happened maybe 3 times. I'm not sure if they'll bring it back. Perhaps if they still have lots of lot stock to clear. Hard to say, but even the outlet staff seem surprised that the prices were cut that low, so I wouldn't expect it.

3. coolarrow

coolarrow Senior member

Shell Townley Mundy! Have a great week boys.

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  4. froggy41

froggy41 Member

I'm interested in getting the RL Singletons. Can anyone vouch for their fit. I wear a 9.5D in Stands. Thanks.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
  5. peppercorn78

Here's a picture I snapped comparing the sole thickness of Jefferson and Rutledge. You're right, it's not quite as thick as the double sole on my McTavish, but it's definitely thicker than the sole on the Rutledge. One AE SA once described the Jefferson as having a one-and-a-half sole.

[​IMG]

On another note, I finally got my duper-clearance Amoks. They feel great! Not noticing the toe box being that much tighter than my 5 Last shoes. My first chukkas, btw. Looking forward to warmer weather so I can break them out.

[​IMG]

6. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

something from dark days of AE in the 1990's. When the whole business casual thing started, AE tried branching out to more casual styles. This is one of the results. I'm not stating an opinion, just stating what it is.

They do not make anything similar at this time.

BTW, AE also made women's shoes at one time.

Chris

7. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

So you're saying they fit like the 5 last?

8. peppercorn78

If anything, I feel like my 5 last shoes are a little more tapered. But it could be that these are unlined and have more give. It could also be that my feet are idiosyncratic (they are).

As always, YMMV

9. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Haha. Argghhh. I was pretty interested in those, but wasn't sure about fit. Their reviews are also pretty awful for whatever reason. What are your impressions so far re:build and everything.

10. peppercorn78

Seems ok to me, but I've yet to wear them outside. The suede does seem thin, but perhaps that's normal. For the price I paid ($126), it seems reasonable.

11. evilWagon

evilWagon Senior member

Thanks for the info. Well I don't think that thing has an alibi; it's ugly.

12. hoit1981

hoit1981 Senior member

Looking forward to receiving mine, although after reading reviews I went up a width. Are those the laces that came with them?

13. peppercorn78

Yes, those are the stock laces. I'm already at 3E width anyway :)

14. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

Going up a width is the right call. Mine are pretty snug. If I could order over again I would go out one width

15. YoungSweet

YoungSweet Senior member

My Fifth Aves have the same wrinkles around the same area. They developed after a few wears. Mine were firsts but I didn't pay over $300 for them. Doens't really bother me at all since that's where the shoes flex. [​IMG]

16. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

If these are firsts, return them. That is unacceptable for first quality AE's.

1 person likes this.
  17. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

Looks like someone with little experience managed the burnishing wheel

18. Indyoshi68

Indyoshi68 Senior member

Afternoon, members;
    Anyone have thoughts on the Brown Cordovan Norwich? Wondering about fit relative to other lasts (like 5 or 3), color of brown shell, patina developed, rolls developed, comfort level after hours of wear etc.

19. delmar

delmar Senior member

Not a flaw in my book. I'd forget about it if I were you. I don't think that "flaw" would warrant calling them seconds. I would never reject a pair of shoes for minor dings or scratches. Crooked captoes or asymmetric wingtips or lacing up crooked are the things that I look for and wouldn't abide.

20. Churchill W

Churchill W Senior member

A regular here ordered them, but I think ended up returning them due to fit. If you search Norwich you should be able to find his post.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.