• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

I find unlined to generally be more snug. I am not sure if they are able to pull the leather tighter on the last or what? But I have lined and unlined versions of the same shoe and the unlined is clearly tighter

Yep. You stole my reply.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

No, nothing in stock.  MTO's are currently 15% off, though, which (if AE could do it), would end up at $505 plus tax.  It would seem simple enough to make a Strand without the medallion, but you never know what they will or will not do.

You should quote him the calf price too. Should be less than $300.

AE posted a concept shoe a month back, see below...

The shoe got it's wings clipped. Not bad looking.

It's Namor we're talking about.  I would be shocked if he was inquiring about AE calf.  Also, not sure if you were trying to post what he is looking for, but I think he is asking about an adelaide like this:

thanks guys. ive contacted AE to see what they can do. $505 is a solid price for new shell

87 posts in less than 8 hours. wow

Last edited:

ryansto

Reaction score
Jermyn Street, you better be sporting those StL Neumoks tonight... Go Cards!!

movoblast

Reaction score
What are some of the premium options I could get with the MTO?
I know I DEFINITELY want the independence lining but what else could I probably add?
Man those shell bayfields a couple pages back are sexy. Out of curiosity, what is the red lining in that picture?

Last edited:

bucksfan

Reaction score
So I got my kenwoods seconds today. Needed to fill out my loafer rotation I guess. These are being added to my rotation of shell Patrots, Randolphs, boat shoes and tassel loafers. I went down 1/2 size in length and up 1 width. They fit great making these sizing changes.

Great shoes - love the beef roll and scalloped tongue, also love the unlined shell cordovan. I think this particular pair has been kicking around the AE warehouses for a while, based on the sole stamp (or lack thereof), the burgundy coloration and the first quality price being shown on the box as 495. Certainly not complaining though. Can't figure out what makes these seconds. (Maybe AE just wants to unload them?)

Pics fresh out of the box:

Last edited:

WICaniac

Reaction score
Jefferson, McAllister, or McTavish? My wife vetoed the Long Branch, and I can wear Swims or hiking boots when the white stuff comes, so I've targeted a pair of short wing bals for my 5th pair of AE. Is the Independence Series worth the premium price? Are the McTavishes dressy enough for a sports coat and tie?

bkotsko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jefferson, McAllister, or McTavish? My wife vetoed the Long Branch, and I can wear Swims or hiking boots when the white stuff comes, so I've targeted a pair of short wing bals for my 5th pair of AE. Is the Independence Series worth the premium price? Are the McTavishes dressy enough for a sports coat and tie?
I have the black McTavish and the natural (the original natural color). I would bet it depends on what color you get. I have worn mine with a jacket and tie. They are a balmoral, but definitely could go with jeans too, especially a good pair of selvedge.

SBear

Reaction score

As a UVA grad, my vote is for the Jefferson. In fact, I do like it best regardless of the name. Whether it is worth that extra cost is your call. Worth is a a very personal thing once all of the options are well made and of good materials with superb customer service.

NWTeal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking about putting in an MTO for the following:
Player's Shoe
Brown cordovan
Independence lining
Split reverse welt
Jr sole with wheeling detail and chili sole edge. The last two parts contingent upon its feasibility.

I wanted a shoe like the RL Marlow wingtip made by c&j. What do you guys think?

WICaniac

Reaction score

As a UVA grad, my vote is for the Jefferson. In fact, I do like it best regardless of the name. Whether it is worth that extra cost is your call. Worth is a a very personal thing once all of the options are well made and of good materials with superb customer service.

I went to another school founded by TJ, so I can use the same justification. I wonder whether the superior quality is discernible beyond the sticker on the box.

bucksfan

Reaction score

I'm thinking about putting in an MTO for the following:
Player's Shoe
Brown cordovan
Independence lining
Split reverse welt
Jr sole with wheeling detail and chili sole edge. The last two parts contingent upon its feasibility.

I wanted a shoe like the RL Marlow wingtip made by c&j. What do you guys think?

That will be great - just be aware how the 2 last fits. By default the 2 last is sleek, even narrow. I know I needed to go up a width to get it to fit well. It also may not work that well with a split reverse welt.

Not to take a sale away from AE on the AE thread, but if what you want is the marlow wingtip, look into ordering it from some of the forum members. I know some are SAs and can get deals. There are posts over on the C&J for RL thread from some of them.

Last edited:

tampatravel

Reaction score

So I got my kenwoods seconds today. Needed to fill out my loafer rotation I guess. These are being added to my rotation of shell Patrots, Randolphs, boat shoes and tassel loafers. I went down 1/2 size in length and up 1 width. They fit great making these sizing changes.

Great shoes - love the beef roll and scalloped tongue, also love the unlined shell cordovan. I think this particular pair has been kicking around the AE warehouses for a while, based on the sole stamp (or lack thereof), the burgundy coloration and the first quality price being shown on the box as 495. Certainly not complaining though. Can't figure out what makes these seconds. (Maybe AE just wants to unload them?)

Pics fresh out of the box:

Wow those are Awesome!

NWTeal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That will be great - just be aware how the 2 last fits. By default the 2 last is sleek, even narrow. I know I needed to go up a width to get it to fit well. It also may not work that well with a split reverse welt.

Not to take a sale away from AE on the AE thread, but if what you want is the marlow wingtip, look into ordering it from some of the forum members. I know some are SAs and can get deals. There are posts over on the C&J for RL thread from some of them.
I've lurked a little in the Marlow thread. I'll have to look a little deeper.

The 2 last is a mystery to me and that's a good point about the split reverse welt and the last.

Sizing is even more confusing I had a 9D for the Norwich, it was way too tight and gave me blisters in the back so I got a 9.5D which is a little long but bearable. I have the RL Sandersons in 9D which feels a little long as well, but too tight. I was recently measured as a 8.5E on the Brannock when I thought I was a 9D.

However, there isn't much in terms of options for a short wing blucher from AE is there?

Last edited:

tampatravel

Reaction score
Well...they came in the mail today from eBay and I'm pretty happy with them! $135 for shell saddles in #8

I know this has been answered but does AE change out the insoles on a recraft? I have a pair I need to send in and I'd be fine if they did. Thanks fellas!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads