1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

I mainly notice excessive creasing in shoes that are too wide as opposed to too long. Any pics you can post will help. Enjoy your holiday.

2. Pastor

Pastor Senior member

They were listed at $199 (the sign said 234 but the sticker on the display said 199) and they let me use a coupon I had to get an additional 20% off. Got the coupon from the Tanger outlet office. It did not list AE as a participating retailer but when i showed it to the girl she still let me use it. Looking at my receipt I actually paid $172 total. Wore them again today and they really are nice.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2012
  3. sportin_life

sportin_life Senior member

Does anyone know what the upcoming sale on 4/15 will be? Is it 25% off all shoes?

4. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

I posted some details a few pages back, but only one person cared :plain:
    I blame all the 2nd sales lately... :confused:

5. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

Yes, there was a slight shell mania for a while . . .

6. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

Personally, I'm not convinced on the 2nd's route. Every time I start to consider it, I hear the stories of woe. A 1st sale will do for me...

7. zero neck

zero neck Well-Known Member

Any idea if the Strand will be on sale?

And on the subject of the Strand, I really like the way it looks in Walnut but I just ordered a pair of Fifth Ave's in walnut.

Could I have an opinion as to whether I should return the Walnut Fifth aves and maybe get them in burnished brown, and get the Strand in Walnut?
    Or just keep the walnut fifth aves and consider getting the strands in burnished brown?

Decisions .. . ahhhh

BTW, i saw seconds at an outlet last week and they were pretty roughed up. Mighta been because they were displays or something, but even the ones from the back that I tried on were pretty beat.

8. Storm33

Storm33 Senior member

You can't go wrong with walnut Strand...love 'em!

1 person likes this.
  9. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

PA and Strand aside, I ordered my other AEs in custom sizes. So no seconds for me. Besides, I buy fewer shoes that way.

When I skimmed through the whole thread after joining SF I concluded that the Walnut Strand is a staple for many SF members. I bought the brown Strand because I needed a brown shoe. I haven't ruled out another pair in walnut cordovan for the future.

The brown Strand looks very good IMO. You can't go wrong there. It's a personal preference. It seems like you want the walnut Strand. If so, exchange and enjoy.

1 person likes this.
  10. zero neck

Thanks. What i really want is the Jefferson, but can't figure out how come they're 445 unless it's just a quality of the construction issue.

If anyone has any info on that shoe i'd appreciate it.

11. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

If you look over the product description, the Jefferson is an upgrade to the McAllister. Brass nails, lambskin lining, wheeled edges, brass nameplate, etc. Hence the price premium. It's a good looking shoe. I'd buy a pair, but the up charge for custom sizing puts me close to shell cordovan pricing; so I'd go with the shell instead.

1 person likes this.
  12. zero neck

Thanks PhiPsi, I didn't catch that in the description. It's a great looking shoe. Maybe I'll see if it goes on sale next week but I doubt it will.

Isn't there another AE sale in the summer, as well? Thought I read something about one.

13. sportin_life

sportin_life Senior member

The construction is higher than the Jefferson shoes since it is from their Independence line. I don't have any AE Independence but the RL Sanderson is basically the same shoe as AE Williams (another shoe from Independence) re-branded, and the finish is better, construction is sturdier overall. Not sure I would pay the $445 for it though.

1 person likes this.
  14. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

Eh, it's a $110 premium. That doesn't seem out of line especially if you like AE shoes.

15. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

My Bayfield, Dalton and 5th St. boots all wrinkle on the uppers, not really bad creasing though. AE Cascades which are shorter not so much. Can not find a true boot tree with upper support any where. So ended up getting the shortest boot shaft shaper I could find which was the 9.5" Pedag http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005VOKTHE/ref=oh_o01_s00_i03_details I insert it after lacing the boots up as soon as I take them off. I stretch the uppers around it for the first 24 hours after wearing them. Then I use the woodlore boot trees from cedarville: http://cedarvillestore.com/p-20-mens-boot-tree.aspx you can use the code askandy on checkout for 10% off. Sizing on the boot trees is different than shoe trees, make sure you use the chart for the boot trees and not the shoe trees. The combination of boot shaper and boot trees has really helped a lot with the creasing on all of my boots.

16. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

That's a good idea. A couple questions.: - the boots aren't too short for them? The shape works OK? - I guess you can't fit both shoe trees and boot trees in the boot a the same time? i.e.: the boot trees go all the way down to the insole?

17. JamesK

JamesK Member

This is what my AE Hales looked like with a good shine brand new however I wanted something with a bit more oomph.

My cirage guy in Paris is an absolute gentleman and magician - the best in Paris - Laurent di Mascio

He performed a "glacage" job - not sure what that is in english?

The second picture is very poor - but the difference is clear. Make sure to enlarge it to see the difference - merci

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 8, 2012
  18. jeust0999

jeust0999 Member

Will all 1st quality shoes be on sale? I want to get walnut Jefferson, black Park Ave, and black McAllister. I need these in an 8E what is the likely hood of getting all these on sale?

19. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

No none of the boots are too short for them, they work great shape is perfect.

Correct can not fit both in at the same time unfortunately. It is not a perfect solution but the only one I can come up with for now. Still looking for a reasonably priced dress boot tree that has an upper in the back. Searching on SF and other sites all the links are now dead.

20. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

Outstanding job by your shoe shine man, yes it is a magical transformation!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.