1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NickCarraway

NickCarraway Senior member

Loafers have the smallest margin for error regarding fit. Too tight and the vamp digs into your instep, too loose and your heels are flopping in and out. So it would be best to try them on at an AE store, or at one of the other retailers (Brooks Brothers, Nordstrom, etc.) that carries them. Also, what looks best on your foot might not look as good on someone else's. For example if you have small feet you can balance that with a shoe with more substantial construction. Or if most of your pants have a tapered hem, you might want a more slender shoe.

As you browse the website though, make a note of the models that describe the leather as "Polished" - that's AE's term for "Corrected Grain" leather that has been sanded down and it looks rather plasticky compared to regular calfskin.

1 person likes this.
  2. LEgoiste

LEgoiste Senior member

I asked a couple of pages back -- if I'm a 9.5 EEE on the 5 last, do I need to go down in width with the Mora 2.0? Thanks

3. dennhyl

dennhyl New Member

I'm new to the forum, and just started my AE collection

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Merlot Strands
    Walnut Strands (First pair, bought new, started the obsession)
    Black Cliftons
    Brown Kenilworths

2 people like this.
  4. Subutai

Subutai Senior member

Welcome and great start! Now add some wingtips and monkstraps to that collection!!

5. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Weird fit question...

I have an 8.5D in PA's and I feel like they fit a hair big, but are comfortable. If I got a heel insert (not the stuff that you glue to the back), they'd probably be perfect.

I bought two pairs of suede strands in an 8E during the seconds sale because I thought they'd be a better fit.

They get on fine and I have no tightness on my big or little toes, which is great, but on the left foot of both pairs of strands, I can feel this 'ramp' of sorts with my toes. It doesn't seem to bother me while walking on carpet, but the toes are legit resting on a ramp and it's weird feeling. I can feel the ramp part with my fingers, but is this something in the insoles that will break in with time? They'd fit pretty much perfectly if that part of the insole was flat.

Edit: I have a feeling this means that the toebox is too small since my toes aren't sitting where they should on the insole :/

Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
  6. coolarrow

coolarrow Senior member

Whut?! ARE WE NOT MEN?! What's next? No body art? Banning Mac from posting his pasty legs? Are you some kind of mod? This is a free-flowing internet forum, after all.

2 people like this.
  7. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Senior member

If I'm not mistaken, those RL Singleton's are made for AE in Bangor, ME by Highland Shoe Company.

I KNOW I'm not mistaken that they are well built and great looking.

And I'm absolutely positive that getting those for $125 is a steal, despite a cosmetic blip or two.

8. masernaut

masernaut Senior member

This is no longer true.

9. Gianni Cerutti

Gianni Cerutti Senior member

Very nice shoes

10. bkotsko

bkotsko Senior member

Its Walnut Wednesday for me today.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  11. BL70

BL70 Senior member

Quick question-

I picked up a couple of seconds during the 2 for 250 sales - a pair of singleton loafers and a pair of cognac ridgeway

The right shoe of the singletons (left one in picture) has a darker color blemish spot at the front, and a few scuffs on the side; are there any way I can go about fixing these issues?
    Also what shoe polish/cream should I use for this pair? Walnut or neutral?

And has anyone had any experience with the cognac ridgeway or just cognac colored shoes in general? What cream polish do you use for them?

I don't think cream Polish is recommended for Dublin leather only conditioner cleaner. This is according to the AE care guide.
    How do you like the Ridgeway and what made them seconds? I am waiting for delivery on a pair from the sale.

12. Indyoshi68

Indyoshi68 Senior member

I'm not sure why, but they were at Rack. It looked like someone took them from the Santoni box, tossed a $123 tag on them, put them (incognito)) on a shelf and then got their wings!!! [​IMG] They are flawLESS...Win!
    2.0 is on 108 last; Pine River is on 3-73 last - they're different fits. I got the Pine River in the same size (thanks to Vincenzo) as my Strands/Mcallsters/5th Aves/Cambridges (11.5E), and this last appears thinner, so I would size UP one size in width, at the very least. Since it's an adjustable monk strap shoe, though, I'm spitting in the wind...

...Assistance from 2.0/Strand owners???
    Amen. MSRP may vary, but it looks and feels like an awesome shoe, worth much more than $125. There was a red tag on the box: $159.99. So I saved $34.99; I'm good with that! [​IMG]

13. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Senior member

Sharp. Love the tweed-walnut combo.

14. Indyoshi68

Indyoshi68 Senior member

That combo is bonkers, bkotsko; the pants are great with your (incredibly deep hued) walnut Daltons. How'd you get them so....saturated with color? Are you just using walnut polish? Is it the lighting? That color is the deepest I've seen on that boot. Mine are several shades lighter.

1 person likes this.
  15. bkotsko

bkotsko Senior member

The trousers are from Epaulet. The boots are from a run by Pelle Line.
    The only thing I use on the walnuts is occasionally Saphir Reno, and even more rarely Saphir Neutral Cordo Cream.
    Most of the time it is brushing and buffing only.
    These are approaching a year old, and I did get quite a bit of wear on them.
    They are unlined as well, and sometimes I feel like the unlined shell develops its patina much differently than lined.
    However, to be honest... its probably mostly lighting. It was cloudy natural lighting in the pic this morning.

Thanks, Gents.

16. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

Sebago's "Handsewn in Maine" are also $400+ the other handsewn line from Sebago is imported - If in fact there is a Handsewn in Maine sale somewhere please post as the shoes are amazing.

17. dmwave45

dmwave45 Member

This may be a strange question but...I just got in a pair of Amoks and I'm not entirely sure if they fit. With more structured leather shoes it's pretty easy to tell. However, the suede on these forms nicely around the foot and it's more difficult to get a feel for fit. I wore them around the house and they seemed decently comfortable but I don't know what it might be like long term....the soles look quite small.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

18. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

What do you mean the soles look small?

If you're wearing them and they fit with no overt looseness or tightness, then what else can you ask for?

19. chinngiskhaan

chinngiskhaan Senior member

+100000000000

not only was it a foot picture, IT WAS FREAKING HUGE! 'bout gave me a heart attack...

20. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

I don't often eat General Tsois chicken for breakfast but when I do I prefer it to be toeless.....LOL I guess I wont post that pick of my shoes I took while sitting on the toilet :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.