Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

You could always try craigslist. Ebay has a lot of stuff and the marketplace is hard to maneuver sadly. Maybe try the latter and post a link in your signature?

(Or give them to me if you're an 8.5/8.5e [​IMG])

Last edited: Oct 8, 2013

2. ScottyBoy920

ScottyBoy920 Senior member

Thought about looking into a winter boot for when its snowing or after a recent dumping. I talked to AE and they said that because of their shoes being welted, no matter what boot I choose I should definitely wear swims with them.

What do you guys wear for the winter seasons? Am I good with a pair of Cronmoks and swims?

3. jogurt

jogurt Member

4. random-adam

random-adam Senior member

When it's actively snowing more than an inch or two and I've gotta get to work, I choose either some 20-year-old Canadian-made Sorels or some LL Bean hiking boots :
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

...it helps that my office is far to the casual side of business casual. When things are wet and salty and nasty but mostly plowed and not actually precipitating, though, I'll wear Wilberts or my imminent Bayfields or similar rubber-treaded goodyear-welted footwear. Just wipe 'em down when you get to where you're going.

5. JayRocks

JayRocks New Member

Any reviews or opinion's on the AE cordovan tab belt? i'm not too sold on the tab design, would rather have it plain. what would be a good cordovan belt alternative to match the my AE burgundy shell's?

6. Scottyb06

Scottyb06 Senior member

Here in Minnesota I simply bring my shoes in my bag and wear an older pair of Cole Haans outside. As well, I only need to walk from the covered parking garage to the office. While I try hard to keep these shoes clean and nice, there is to much snow and salt around that I don't bother to risk it with my AEs. I do get made fun of at work however for changing my shoes.

7. random-adam

random-adam Senior member

Here's why it's designed the way it is:
    [​IMG]
    ...you'll notice that the actual shells have no dimension long enough to make a one-piece belt. If you insist on the material, it is unlikely-to-impossible that you'll find such a design in it. If you're just after a burgundy leather belt, there are a few more options.

8. tampatravel

tampatravel Senior member

I've tried it on (at Norton Ditto in Dallas) and it's very nice. You really don't notice the tabs on the belt at all. I happen to have a 10% coupon above and beyond the low price of that belt on the RDA sale - I'm seriously considering it.

Do the outlets ever get the tab cordovan belts?

Does anyone know the answer to this question?

9. jch1

jch1 Senior member

I just got an email that my first pair of AEs, the Hinsdale, is returning to the clearance section. Brings back fond memories of job interviews and such. My then-girlfriend, now-wife purchased them for me. Now she can't control the size of my AE collection.

10. ridethecliche

Quote:
    Yeah, I do that. In the winter I leave a pair of black and a pair of brown shoes at the office and wear timberland workboots in. I've done this for two winters now and it was worth it. I bought the tims so I could beat the crap out of them. I don't want to risk my nicer shoes either. That said, I'm probably getting a used pair of lugged sole leather boots as well. Hoping to find used long branches, but I'll probably end up with fryes.
    I'm also 24 and while I don't have a family, I also don't have that much money. Honestly, my average weekly paycheck is lower than a pair of AE shell daltons when paying sticker price. That's the thing for me though is I'd rather save and buy quality, even if that means buying used or waiting and buying seconds. Before I really new what I was doing, I picked up a couple of pairs of shoes that either didn't fit me or were cheaply made. I have a nice cut on my right foot from where a pair of patent leather shoes folded and cut into my foot every step... I'm trying to fix the creases with shoe trees, but I don't have high hopes.

From here on out, my collection will probably thin out as I give away or toss the shoes that I just am not happy with and I'll replace a few pairs with a pair of shoes that's built to last. For instance, I really want tan AE wingtip shoes, but I already have a pair of tan cole haan monkstraps with wingtips. I'll keep those till they die. Maybe I'll add a pair of black monkstraps at some point, but that's not likely till the spring. I'm more interested in boots right now.

I will say that compared to what I was doing two years ago when I first graduated, I'm going out less and tend to work instead of going out most days during the workweek. I put most of the $$$ differential into savings and allow myself to spend some of the rest. I also buy all my clothes from thrift stores and have a pretty nice selection of dress shirts/pants/ties that I paid what I would have paid for two outfits otherwise. I did splurge on three wool tweed blazers recently, but that was 50 bucks total. Haha.

If you're interested in something and don't want to spend a ton, I would look for used shoes in good condition. My set of used daltons was in pristine condition and there are lots of their shoes on ebay and available used through members here. I like dressing well, but have to keep the budget in perspective. Will I pay 70 bucks for a BB shirt? No! But if I find one that fits me for 8 bucks at a thrift store, then I'm probably not going to pass it up.

11. ridethecliche

I didn't know wingtips were kosher for interviews? Or are you talking about the loafer?

12. DNSamurai

DNSamurai Senior member

I'll ask and post if I find out.

13. jch1

jch1 Senior member

I'm talking about the wingtip. You're right, they aren't the most appropriate shoe for an interview, especially in the legal profession, but in all honesty, not a single person at any location I interviewed with cared. If anything, I think them seeing a nice pair of dress shoes compared to what just about everybody else was wearing was a +1 in my favor. In retrospect, maybe I would tone it down were I to do it again, but I'm almost certain that it wouldn't be a deal breaker.

14. Pastor

Pastor Senior member

15. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

I'd recommend 10.5e for you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.