• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You could always try craigslist. Ebay has a lot of stuff and the marketplace is hard to maneuver sadly. Maybe try the latter and post a link in your signature?

(Or give them to me if you're an 8.5/8.5e
tongue.gif
)

Last edited:

ScottyBoy920

Reaction score
Thought about looking into a winter boot for when its snowing or after a recent dumping. I talked to AE and they said that because of their shoes being welted, no matter what boot I choose I should definitely wear swims with them.

What do you guys wear for the winter seasons? Am I good with a pair of Cronmoks and swims?

jogurt

Reaction score
well... yeah... If one spends excessive amounts of money on shoes why wouldn't they spend excessive amounts of money on a wallet?

I spend no more than $50-$100 on what I want for myself that isn't necessary each month. I have one pair of AE shoes and I am saving up every dime of spending money until I have enough to buy my next pair. I have 1 wife, 1 son, 1 job, and zero college degrees at the moment (working on that currently). I am 24 years old.

Even if I had the money, I doubt I could justify to myself paying $200+ for a wallet. Having nice shoes is something I consider a luxury, and a worthwhile allocation of my resources therefor I can justify spending money on shoes so long as I'm not spending money on other frivolous things (video games, dvds...). I would honestly feel guilty if I spent $200+ on something that is completely 100% not a necessity in any way. Isn't there something better that could be done with that $200? There is absolutely no justifiable reason for me to spend $200+ on a glorified debit card holder.

I don't mean to be rude... and I'm not making judgements on other people, this is just my thinking. If the only reason I can think of for purchasing something is "why not? I have the money!" then it's a purchase that shouldn't be made.

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thought about looking into a winter boot for when its snowing or after a recent dumping. I talked to AE and they said that because of their shoes being welted, no matter what boot I choose I should definitely wear swims with them.

What do you guys wear for the winter seasons? Am I good with a pair of Cronmoks and swims?
When it's actively snowing more than an inch or two and I've gotta get to work, I choose either some 20-year-old Canadian-made Sorels or some LL Bean hiking boots :

...it helps that my office is far to the casual side of business casual. When things are wet and salty and nasty but mostly plowed and not actually precipitating, though, I'll wear Wilberts or my imminent Bayfields or similar rubber-treaded goodyear-welted footwear. Just wipe 'em down when you get to where you're going.

JayRocks

Reaction score
Any reviews or opinion's on the AE cordovan tab belt? i'm not too sold on the tab design, would rather have it plain. what would be a good cordovan belt alternative to match the my AE burgundy shell's?

Scottyb06

Reaction score

Here in Minnesota I simply bring my shoes in my bag and wear an older pair of Cole Haans outside. As well, I only need to walk from the covered parking garage to the office. While I try hard to keep these shoes clean and nice, there is to much snow and salt around that I don't bother to risk it with my AEs. I do get made fun of at work however for changing my shoes.

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Any reviews or opinion's on the AE cordovan tab belt? i'm not too sold on the tab design, would rather have it plain. what would be a good cordovan belt alternative to match the my AE burgundy shells?

Here's why it's designed the way it is:

...you'll notice that the actual shells have no dimension long enough to make a one-piece belt. If you insist on the material, it is unlikely-to-impossible that you'll find such a design in it. If you're just after a burgundy leather belt, there are a few more options.

tampatravel

Reaction score
Any reviews or opinion's on the AE cordovan tab belt? i'm not too sold on the tab design, would rather have it plain. what would be a good cordovan belt alternative to match the my AE burgundy shell's?
I've tried it on (at Norton Ditto in Dallas) and it's very nice. You really don't notice the tabs on the belt at all. I happen to have a 10% coupon above and beyond the low price of that belt on the RDA sale - I'm seriously considering it.

Do the outlets ever get the tab cordovan belts?

Does anyone know the answer to this question?

jch1

Reaction score
I just got an email that my first pair of AEs, the Hinsdale, is returning to the clearance section. Brings back fond memories of job interviews and such. My then-girlfriend, now-wife purchased them for me. Now she can't control the size of my AE collection.

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Quote:
Here in Minnesota I simply bring my shoes in my bag and wear an older pair of Cole Haans outside. As well, I only need to walk from the covered parking garage to the office. While I try hard to keep these shoes clean and nice, there is to much snow and salt around that I don't bother to risk it with my AEs. I do get made fun of at work however for changing my shoes.
Yeah, I do that. In the winter I leave a pair of black and a pair of brown shoes at the office and wear timberland workboots in. I've done this for two winters now and it was worth it. I bought the tims so I could beat the crap out of them. I don't want to risk my nicer shoes either. That said, I'm probably getting a used pair of lugged sole leather boots as well. Hoping to find used long branches, but I'll probably end up with fryes.
I understand, having been in that situation for a long time myself. But, then again, if you have the money, "why not" is a perfectly good way of thinking within reason. Buy quality but buy less is my motto now.

Speaking for myself -- I have a lot more money now than I did for most of my life. So I don't mind spending a little of it, but I'm really more into spending on quality. I'd rather, for example, have ONE or TWO really good pairs of shoes than 20 crappy ones. So I'll spend money on that, and in fact just have. I'll never be someone who has 20 pairs of good shoes though -- that would just make me crazy. Same thing for a wallet -- if a $100 wallet will last me a generation or so, ok. I'll enjoy having it, and in the long run that's better than the endless cycle of $20 wallets that last a few years but look and feel cheap and fall apart quickly.

I'm also 24 and while I don't have a family, I also don't have that much money. Honestly, my average weekly paycheck is lower than a pair of AE shell daltons when paying sticker price. That's the thing for me though is I'd rather save and buy quality, even if that means buying used or waiting and buying seconds. Before I really new what I was doing, I picked up a couple of pairs of shoes that either didn't fit me or were cheaply made. I have a nice cut on my right foot from where a pair of patent leather shoes folded and cut into my foot every step... I'm trying to fix the creases with shoe trees, but I don't have high hopes.

From here on out, my collection will probably thin out as I give away or toss the shoes that I just am not happy with and I'll replace a few pairs with a pair of shoes that's built to last. For instance, I really want tan AE wingtip shoes, but I already have a pair of tan cole haan monkstraps with wingtips. I'll keep those till they die. Maybe I'll add a pair of black monkstraps at some point, but that's not likely till the spring. I'm more interested in boots right now.

I will say that compared to what I was doing two years ago when I first graduated, I'm going out less and tend to work instead of going out most days during the workweek. I put most of the $$$ differential into savings and allow myself to spend some of the rest. I also buy all my clothes from thrift stores and have a pretty nice selection of dress shirts/pants/ties that I paid what I would have paid for two outfits otherwise. I did splurge on three wool tweed blazers recently, but that was 50 bucks total. Haha.

no... don't worry, you didn't sound judgmental at all. Just good-hearted discussion.

If you're interested in something and don't want to spend a ton, I would look for used shoes in good condition. My set of used daltons was in pristine condition and there are lots of their shoes on ebay and available used through members here. I like dressing well, but have to keep the budget in perspective. Will I pay 70 bucks for a BB shirt? No! But if I find one that fits me for 8 bucks at a thrift store, then I'm probably not going to pass it up.

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I just got an email that my first pair of AEs, the Hinsdale, is returning to the clearance section. Brings back fond memories of job interviews and such. My then-girlfriend, now-wife purchased them for me. Now she can't control the size of my AE collection.
I didn't know wingtips were kosher for interviews? Or are you talking about the loafer?

jch1

Reaction score
I didn't know wingtips were kosher for interviews? Or are you talking about the loafer?

I'm talking about the wingtip. You're right, they aren't the most appropriate shoe for an interview, especially in the legal profession, but in all honesty, not a single person at any location I interviewed with cared. If anything, I think them seeing a nice pair of dress shoes compared to what just about everybody else was wearing was a +1 in my favor. In retrospect, maybe I would tone it down were I to do it again, but I'm almost certain that it wouldn't be a deal breaker.

Pastor

Reaction score

bucksfan

Reaction score

I think I'm in for one more big splurge during this RDA sale.

I'm already in for the webgem brown cordovan Jeffersons and Patriots. I do have burgundy calf Patriots, but I feel tempted to pick up their burgundy shell counterparts as well. However, I'm starting feel like maybe I need some shell Dalton's instead. How do you guys size these boots?

My Patriots are 10 EEE. I'm wearing Park Aves today in 11D, they are wide enough but a bit too long for optimal fit. My McAllisters are also 11D but they are narrower than my Park Ave's. I ordered the Jeffersons in 10.5E so I hope that works. Any advice on Dalton's?

I'd recommend 10.5e for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads