Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. csc67

csc67 Senior member

I found the newer AE's to have more room around the ankle - How's this for extra material

[​IMG]

2. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

Your foot fits in that? Eh?

3. g.michael

g.michael Senior member

Agreed. The Bayfield's are great and CXL is very durable leather. Scuffs, cuts, etc. clean up nicely with leather conditioner and cream polish. I find them very comfortable and great for light hiking as you described.

4. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

These are my PAs without inserts. Very little gap, fits even better with inserts.

[​IMG]

5. furo

furo Senior member

Same here. After buying several pairs of AE in different lasts, I've conlcluded that one and only last I can wear is the 8 last.... of which I think I have 4-5 pairs now

6. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

csc67, how does it fit in the toe? And what size are you wearing?

Last edited: Mar 1, 2012

7. Superfluous

Superfluous Senior member

Has anyone tried on the new 3-333 last? They didn't have any 11Bs in the store and I wanted to know if they're too narrow to wear your usual size.

8. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

I finally got the McTavish today - and I'm glad I did. I think this is going to be a great casual / business casual shoe. This is supposedly the same last and style as the McAllister. But I wear a 9 1/2 D in the McAllister and the 9D fit perfect in the McTavish. I don't know if the McTavish is cut a little different or AE is making the 5 last a bit fuller now. Either way, I'm liking the McTavish.

[​IMG]

9. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

The AE rep told me that the Rough Collection shoes fit a bit tighter. Haven't had a chance to see if this is true. Congrats on the McTavish. I was looking at the McTavish before the Ridgeway popped up.

10. bl@ster

[email protected] Senior member

Rough collection fit tighter? I've found (as it looks like hohneokc also has) that they fit larger than their non-Rough counterparts. Ah, the mystery that is AE lasts... always keeping us guessing and vexxed.

11. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

It just reinforces in my mind that I should try on the shoes before buying.

12. puglytaco

puglytaco New Member

First post. Going to 5+ weddings this summer and spring and figured it was time to invest in some brown shoes to go with my navy suit. Already have a pair of black AE's, so figured I'd go brown. Here's a couple I've been looking at, opinions of each? In mid 20's if that helps.

AE Clifton, either in burgundy or walnut:
    http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/allen-edmonds-clifton-oxford/2892042?origin=category

Strand:
    http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF6105_1_40000000001_-1

Sanford:
    http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF6517_1_40000000001_-1

Kenilworth (walnut, brown burnished):
    http://www.zappos.com/allen-edmonds-kenilworth-brown-burnished-calf

Can't really decide how functional a color walnut would be. My favorite is probably the Clifton, burgundy seems like the safer bet. Thoughts?

13. easy_golfing

easy_golfing Senior member

how do the dalton's fit in comparison to the macneils? I wear 10.5D (with inserts) in the macneils and have some bulging at the sides. I wanted to try on the Dalton in store, but they didn't have 10 or 10.5

14. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

Exactly. Changing lasts will not help, this issue has shown up in newer AE shoes and seems to occur way too often on at least the 1 and 5 lasts. I just boxed up my new shell Bradley's and sent them back yesterday asking for a replacement pair that measures 2.4" across the top opening like the rest of my shoes on the #1 last instead of the 3.1" that I received.

http://www.styleforum.net/t/141581/allen-edmonds-appreciation-thread/3030#post_5245768

I included a copy of my post in the box and will see what happens. Really like the shoe a lot but I am not going to wear it or any other shoe like that. It also makes the heel a lot looser so it slips, so have no idea for the reasoning behind it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.