1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rodaman

rodaman Well-Known Member

European styling vs. American...

1 person likes this.
  2. chinngiskhaan

chinngiskhaan Well-Known Member

so they are finally starting to do what I suggested and tap into the free AE advertising that is this forum then huh?

3. nhindian

nhindian Well-Known Member

Looking for some opinions, please! I found a pair of used shell cordovan Macneils for sale in my size. I have never owned shell before, so I'm not entirely sure what to look for.

Also, how does this last compare to the Fifth Aves? If I were an 8.5 in the FA, would I get the 8.5 in these?

[ATTACHMENT=8724]_1.jpg (30k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]
    [ATTACHMENT=8725]_11.jpg (19k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]
    [ATTACHMENT=8726]_12.jpg (25k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]
    [ATTACHMENT=8727]_13.jpg (26k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]

Thanks in advance, guys :)

4. rydenfan

rydenfan Well-Known Member

Not really. They actually re-tweeted someone else who posted the pic I believe

5. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

Honestly it depends on your foot. Some here take the same size in both the FA and McNeil (like me) and some, probably most, take 1/2 up. I know that doesn't answer your question, but...everyone's feet are different.

6. chinngiskhaan

well... the sooner they start listening to me and my VAST expertise in the business world the better off AE will be!

[​IMG]

7. cadmonkey

cadmonkey Well-Known Member

Do the same fees apply if returning to a local store instead of shipping? What about exchanges?

8. Indyoshi68

Indyoshi68 Well-Known Member

Yes they are; I just conditioned them and put a bit of neutral wax on the toe & heel ( I know - shine on the casual shoe..."ugh"; I just wanted a lil' pop on the toe. One coat. I think the conditioner and single coat of wax made for a nice 'shine transition' from toe to vamp)

Loved by many around my office, on the train to and from work, and random passersby... Morning sunlight shows more Brown of the 'Brown Distressed.' Classy casual. Have worn the last two days (which I NEVER do; shoe treed and brushed at night) because they're that comfy. Hello, poron insole!
    [​IMG][​IMG]

9. rodaman

rodaman Well-Known Member

I love what you did...I almost got them but thought they were a little too distressed. Now I'm regretting that I hadn't pulled the trigger on them. Thanks for the regret!

10. chinngiskhaan

regret... the most common feeling felt as a result of following this thread... next to envy of course!

1 person likes this.
  11. froggy41

froggy41 Member

Hello all,
    I've been a silent observer of this fine forum for over 9 months but haven't made any literary contributions yet. Additionally, I wish to introduce you to my humble collection of AE's (thanks to this forum of coarse).

Stands – Walnut & Black
    Dalton – Walnut
    Mctavish – Brown & Grey
    Amok - Tan

Mojave - Olive

My non-AE collection boasts some TBNY and Magnanni.

I recently bought 2 pairs from the 2 for 250 sale – Player’s (Walnut) & RL Singleton (brown). Unfortunately, I bought both in a size too small (9), and I am offering to sell it to anyone for my purchase price and shipping. I would like to add that I inspected both pairs and did not see any noticeable flaws that would characterize them as seconds. I would like to give this forum the opportunity to get a crack at them before I return them.

Feel free to PM is you have any questions and I look forward to being a part of this forum.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  12. evilWagon

evilWagon Well-Known Member

Burgundy shell leeds for the first time today. I'm liking this shell stuff.

Just spent a few minutes brushing them before I head out for the day and now they seem kind of dull.

13. cincikid

cincikid Well-Known Member

An existential question Walnut Strands (currently, 25% off at BB) or Tan Elgins ($125)?
    Really can't figure out which one is going to be more versatile but leaning towards the Strand.

14. chief113

chief113 New Member

You guys have probably heard stuff like this a million times, but I just got my first pair of dress shoes. Player's in Walnut. I'm just wearing them around the house. The right foot pinky toe seems a little tight, especially when I am standing and put my weight on my right foot. Will this go away, or should I return them? Can a shoe cobbler really stretch them out? For the record, they are factory seconds.

15. Roycru

Roycru Well-Known Member

Tan Suede Strandmoks and Brogue Suede Strands. Suede usually doesn't crease much, but the white Gumite soles on the Strandmoks wear down much quicker than the Danite soles on the Strands.....

[​IMG]

16. cincikid

cincikid Well-Known Member

Even if they will get stretched, you will likely end up having some bulging around the pinky area. I suggest go up in width.

17. chief113

chief113 New Member

I'm assuming I shouldn't have a mark like this on my toe? I just wore them around the house for an hour, with socks. [​IMG] Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

18. DJTraveler

DJTraveler Well-Known Member

I had the same issue with my Players. The narrower toe was problematic for me. Luckily I bought them at Nordstrom so was able to return them after a couple wears.

19. chief113

chief113 New Member

Did you end up getting something else? I'm not opposed to getting something different.

20. DJTraveler

DJTraveler Well-Known Member

I actually bought a pair of bourbon Daltons instead. A similar style to the Players you might want to consider is the Macneil or Larhmont.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.