Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

How was the fit otherwise as compared to AE's 5 last (Park Avenue, Strand)? TTS?

2. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

I'm probably not the best person to answer. I've only tried on the 5 last once, in the size suggested to me by the salesperson. However, they were the same length as the Alden Hampton last, and the listed size matched my measured size. I found the last to be rather narrow with a relatively small difference in width between the heel and the forefoot, and I have a narrow foot.

I couldn't find a width that was both snug at the heel and roomy enough in the toe box. From what I remember, I liked the fit of the 5 last better. On the other hand, the Peals didn't flare out in that horrible way that some AEs seem to.

On edit, BB has a great return policy so buy a pair and see for yourself.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2012

3. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Thanks, appreciate it.

4. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

Same here.

5. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

Very nice. I'm sold Is this with a suit?

6. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

No, I usually don't wear them with suits, but they definitely could be worn with a suit, of the less formal variety. Today, I am wearing some navy slacks and an odd jacket. Been stuck in suits for the last 3 days.

With my suits, I generally wear the following shoes (more formal to less formal):
    AE Park Avenue (black calf)
    AE Strand (brown shell cordovan)
    AE Leeds (burgundy or black shell cordovan)
    AE Macneil (burgundy shell cordovan)
    RL Darlton plain toe blucher (brown shell cordovan) - the metal eyelets make them look less formal to my eye
    AE Bradley (burgundy shell cordovan)
    AE Grayson (I know, I know, a tassel loafer [​IMG]) in black calf or burgundy shell cordovan during summer months

7. ElDave

ElDave Senior member

Can you post some shots of the worn-in brown shell Strand? I'd like to see how it looks aged.

8. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

Here's a few of them that I have handy... different lighting makes them show differently.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. mythage

mythage Senior member

Selling a pair of Malverns and Cliftons. Seconds, brand new. Sizing down my wardrobe, please PM if interested!

/Shameless plug

10. XKxRome0ox

XKxRome0ox Senior member

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF7801C_1_40000000001_-1

can the AE bayfields with the Toby mini lug sole (rubber) be used for actual hiking?
    or will i destroy the boots if i tried to climb over dirt and rock paths in them?

i was thinking about going hiking with friends but since it will only be an occasional thing for me, i thought maybe i can buy a pair of boots that can be worn anytime while still serving as my hiking boots

Return them. If you take them out of the box and they don't look right, they'll never look right to you. I just sent back 2 consecutive pairs of AE Fifth Avenue's due to streaking and outsole stain on the leather. If I'm paying $350 for shoes, they need to be up to standards. Small natural blemishes in the leather are fine tho.

12. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

agreed. I've seen that kind of streaking only at the factory store.

13. acousticfoodie

acousticfoodie Senior member

I'm probably in the minority here, but I think the streaking looks beautiful and gives the shoe a wooden maple appearance.

14. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

In reference to the previous discussion regarding the heel gap in AE shoes, I received some new arch supports today, the Pedag balance. It's a relatively small, stick on, arch only support. I dropped them in my PAs. I noticed less instep roll and a better fit in the toe box (small toes are not being pushed out as much). More importantly, the gap between my foot and the mouth of the shoe is almost gone. Overall, it's a better fit. Caveat, this is a first impression only. I haven't road tested the inserts. Hope this helps my fellow flatfoots.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2012

15. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

Yes you can. They aren't the best without treatment (like HDLP) for use in very wet conditions. I have dedicated hiking and hunting boots for rough use but my Bayfields would handle groomed trails without issue if I wanted them to. They are a comfortable boot to me, I like them a lot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.