Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jungleroller

jungleroller Senior member

Do you guys notice extra room around the topline on the right foot of the park ave/fifth ave lasts? I had a pair of park aves returned recently due to bowing or defective topline. The replacements seem to have a similar issue on the right foot. Not the best pic but you can see the gap. I may be oversensitive on this but then I got a pair of fifth ave.s that have a similar "issue" out of the box.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. tietherope

tietherope Senior member

Maybe with a rubber sole? That contrast right now between the sole and upper is the turn off for me.

3. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Doc, are those made of canvas or leather?

Pant matching question: Navy or tan/light brown with black pants? I know dark brown does not go.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
  4. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

If you are getting repetitive results like this, then it is a good indicator that the 5 last isn't a good fit for your instep. In other words, it is probably you, not the shoe.

5. MoneyWellSpent

They are denim.

6. jungleroller

That may be the case with the original park avenues and maybe even the second park avenues now that I've worn them twice, but the fifth avenues have not been worn. I just opened the box as you can see.

7. WICaniac

WICaniac Senior member

My PAs don't do that. Try sitting at a desk all day and drinking gin when you get home. You'll develop circulation problems in your lower legs, your ankles will swell, and the gap will disappear. Or you could get new shoes.

8. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

So fly!

I used to have a pair of canvas captoes I used to wear to work sometimes. These might be a worthy replacement!

9. jungleroller

I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the inner AE embroidery on the right shoes now that I inspect it more...

10. V1KTA222

V1KTA222 Senior member

My shell park aves developed that slightly on the right foot only, but it wasn't like that out of the box. I have very skinny ankles, so that's what I attributed it to. However, i just utilized cross lacing (not sure if that's the right terminology), and made sure my vamps were tied tight, and it minimized the topline bowing.

I don't have this problem with my calf strands, which are the same size.

11. jungleroller

Yeah I don't have the problem at all with my calf strands either. Idk, I think I'll just suck it up. I hate to go through the whole return/wait process. I just put the fifth aves on and its not that bad when I have them on.

It is interesting how the bow is right where the inner embroidery is though...

12. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Senior member

I'm not a fan of longwings, so I probably won't buy the Larchmont but I think that the bourbon Flatiron is great. I think that the 333 last is really nice last. It seems like some of the best shoes are on that last.

13. MoneyWellSpent

That's called European or Bar lacing.

14. MoneyWellSpent

It isn't something that develops over time. It's immediately present, and results from your instep not having enough height to fill in the shoe directly underneath the laces. As V1KTA222 said, lacing them differently can help for some people, but it's not a guarantee. Search through this thread, and you'll see extensive conversations about this. It's definitely not new. I'm not saying there isn't ever a defective shoe, but generally, it seems to be the person's foot. For some reason, some people can get away with some models on the 5-last but not others. The Park Avenue and Fifth Avenue seem to show it the worst on average, but some report it on their Strands (and other 5-last shoes) as well.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
  15. V1KTA222

V1KTA222 Senior member

ah, yes, bar lacing! thanks for that info. I think balmorals look better with bar lacing as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.