Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NWTeal

NWTeal Senior member

I mentioned it, but was originally reluctant to. AE doesn't have a lot of selection in a black boot, and I personally don't think the fifth street can be dressed down much. But, yeah, if it's black pants in a formal setting I would agree. If it's black pants in a business casual environment, I don't think anyone would care or even notice.

2. chinngiskhaan

chinngiskhaan Senior member

why is getting huge rolls after the first wear a good thing??? If these were calf, and he had massive creases after his first wear he would be very upset rather than excited.

Should I assume that while these were worn for the first time out on the town... they have been worn for several hours in house??

3. wdahab

wdahab Senior member

Shell is a different beast than calfskin. It doesn't get the hairline creases that calfskin gets, but rather makes rolls. Some people do, in fact dislike these rolls (most bespoke shoe makers don't use shell at all, citing the rolls as one of the reasons), but most people see them as one of the gorgeous aspects of the material. The rolls break in nicely, generate patina, and more or less give shell the appearance of being a well broken in shoe that still shines up well. It's not for everyone, though.

4. jungleroller

jungleroller Senior member

Yeah I like those alot. Gave my Rutledges some treatment last night after a torrential downpour in them.

[​IMG]

5. ScottyBoy920

ScottyBoy920 Senior member

Great socks!

Shoes are nice too[​IMG]

6. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

I think I'll probably pick up the used Frye black boots I saw and then get a pair of the long branches for bad weather. I can also always just leave a pair or two of dress shoes at the office for when it's truly nasty out and I wear Tim's.

I don't like the promentory at all actually. I like the fifth streets, but I wouldn't get much utility from them since there's no way I'd wear them casually. I do research in the hospital so I can get away with vibrant soles shoes now and then. Honestly most people in research wear Tom's...

I'd probably feel better wearing those kinds of boots out in the muck vs my daltons as well. I really like the shaker heights boots, but they're going to be a bit too pricey.
    they're quirky!

Last edited: Oct 4, 2013

7. SBear

SBear Senior member

Some help with shell, please. Received my first ever pair of shell cordovan shoes, brown Norwich from the seconds sale. I'm surprised at the lack of richness in the color because I see such deep rich tones on all of the images posted here for shell. The right toe area has some ripple/dimple as you can see in the third image below. The left lateral has a band running along the welt that is substantially less bran (closer to tan; shown in the second and last images) and both toes have this, albeit to a lesser extent. Please let me know what you think. Will I be able to get these light regions darker (?) and is does the rich depth of color just come from brushing/shining?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 4, 2013

8. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

There's a reason they're seconds. They're structurally sound, but there's a little bit off aesthetically. Maybe polish/aging will cover it up. I honestly don't see much of an issue there. The toe just looks lighter, is that the issue?

9. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

I wanted to report my experience with AE customer service.

I posted a few pics recently of my mto Daltons where one boot had misaligned eyelets. Allison contacted me and reported they never should have left the factory. As such she could credit my card 396$ or use it as credit in combination with RA sale thus a new pair or Cordovan shoes would run me about $110.00. Seriously who does it better than AE. The Mora? Clifton? Decisions Decisions.

10. DNSamurai

DNSamurai Senior member

...I assume that means you get to keep the Daltons as well?

11. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

Wow! that is incredible service.

I vote for brown shell Mora

12. SBear

SBear Senior member

In the second image, viewing the lateral left shoe, you can see the large bit of sun reflection. But below that, along the welt, is not sunshine. It's a band of tan. This, along with the lighter toes leaves me wondering if they will darken with age or if they can be darkened...or is this part of the reason they are seconds, some sort of poor penetration in the processing of the material or shoe. There are other reasons for these to be seconds (dimpling, scrapes, scuffs). The images don't really show how different these parts are. The toes and this band appear quite a bit lighter in comparison to the rest of the shoe than is really depicted in these images.

13. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

I think those look great, especially for the price paid.

14. evolved

evolved Senior member

[​IMG]

Mora in shell would be sexy

15. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

Agreed and yup I keep the daltons at the 299$ price.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.