Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WICaniac

WICaniac Senior member

Presumably the AE cordovan care creme has changed with the burgundy? Can I use what AE currently sells, or should I look off brand?

2. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

The Cappuccino color seems to vary quiet a bit, but I think under sunlight, it is typically lighter and a middle ground between Walnut and Brown...

-Mike

3. wdahab

wdahab Senior member

Since it's being talked about again, it's worth pointing out that there is no "new burgundy" or "old burgundy."

They are all Horween's burgundy shell cordovan, called #8, though sometimes given other colors depending on the shade by Alden and others, sometimes extra-dyed by Alden as well. #8 (and all the other shades of shell) has a very large range of colors, depending on the underlying leather and how the batch came out of Horween. Also, #8 has tones that breakdown with exposure to sunlight. Just as you can't take a 3-year old pair of jeans and compare it to a brand new pair of jeans, #8 shell changes color over time. It fades, it has certain pigments breakup with exposure to light, so putting them side by side just doesn't work.

Some AE shell from years ago was that bright cherry. I have a pair of brand new Rancourts in #8 shell and they are that bright cherry. I've also seen AE shell from years ago that is a dark brown mud. This is one of the reasons why Allison has said they don't carry rare colors anymore, because people started thinking all shell of a certain shade looks the same, when they really don't.

4. WICaniac

WICaniac Senior member

I haven't bothered to parse 2000+ pages but was led to believe by recent posts (to say nothing of the picture above) that a company representative had confirmed that some alteration in the process had resulted in the "new" color. Regardless, I'm very happy with the cherry color of my PAs. I inquire out of simple curiosity.

5. wdahab

wdahab Senior member

Well, they have changed their finishing process, perhaps that's the change. They certainly put much less cream polish on it now than they used to, it's a much more natural piece. And it's possible that Horween is doing something slightly different, though they haven't expressed anything to that extent. There is a lot of misinformation and intrigue about how shell is made, when really Horween basically just makes a few basic colors (natural, brown, burgundy, black, possibly whiskey, though that might just be dyed natural) and then lets the brands sort them out by shade how they want, and potentially finish them/dye them how they want.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2013

6. JermynStreet

JermynStreet Senior member

Reminds me a little of...

[​IMG]

7. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

AE changed their dye for their burgundy shell about a year ago. It isn't a change from Horween. Technically, there is a legitimate "old" and "new" burgundy shell finish with AE now.

8. Kap120

Kap120 Senior member

Anyone have any experience with the Larchmonts compared to the 5 last? From what I've read people seem to size down a half size for them. Anyone else have a similar situation? Thanks!

9. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

These are old burgundy with a year and a half of wear. I'm fond of the new shade but I can't complain abou how these are aging. Some Alden color 8 and cigar thrown in as well.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Night with flash:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As bucksfan pointed out they look very different based on lighting conditions.

10. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

That

That's an option, but I was thinking about something chunkier, with a little more heft.

I guess I'll speak to Allison about it soon (I did finally get a call back today :)

11. WICaniac

WICaniac Senior member

I'm sure you've answered this at least once already, but did you do anything special to achieve such a glossy shine?

12. Unregistered

Unregistered Senior member

I need to know too.

8.5D in Fifth Aves (5 last), 8D in Larchmonts. They're slightly wider and have a little more volume too.

13. Mulligan142

Mulligan142 Member

Just ordered dark chocolate Daltons AND scored the last truffle shell cordovan McAllisters in 8.5D. No more purchases for the next few months.

14. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

Fresh from their first day of service... Ready for some brushing. :slayer:

[​IMG]

15. NWTeal

NWTeal Senior member

Some nice rolls already developing. I'm jealous of these. Happy brushing!

Last edited: Oct 3, 2013

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.