• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

WICaniac

Reaction score
I thought I hit a home run by landing shell PAs for $299 without realizing that I cleared the park, as it's clear from this picture that I got the "old burgundy" (which looks much nicer to my eyes). When did they change?

Presumably the AE cordovan care creme has changed with the burgundy? Can I use what AE currently sells, or should I look off brand?

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
According to the swatches I got from AE, cappuccino looks a lot darker than brown. Your picture suggests that this is actually not the case. I wonder if this is because cappuccino lightens up more easily?

The Cappuccino color seems to vary quiet a bit, but I think under sunlight, it is typically lighter and a middle ground between Walnut and Brown...

-Mike

wdahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since it's being talked about again, it's worth pointing out that there is no "new burgundy" or "old burgundy."

They are all Horween's burgundy shell cordovan, called #8, though sometimes given other colors depending on the shade by Alden and others, sometimes extra-dyed by Alden as well. #8 (and all the other shades of shell) has a very large range of colors, depending on the underlying leather and how the batch came out of Horween. Also, #8 has tones that breakdown with exposure to sunlight. Just as you can't take a 3-year old pair of jeans and compare it to a brand new pair of jeans, #8 shell changes color over time. It fades, it has certain pigments breakup with exposure to light, so putting them side by side just doesn't work.

Some AE shell from years ago was that bright cherry. I have a pair of brand new Rancourts in #8 shell and they are that bright cherry. I've also seen AE shell from years ago that is a dark brown mud. This is one of the reasons why Allison has said they don't carry rare colors anymore, because people started thinking all shell of a certain shade looks the same, when they really don't.

WICaniac

Reaction score
Since it's being talked about again, it's worth pointing out that there is no "new burgundy" or "old burgundy."

I haven't bothered to parse 2000+ pages but was led to believe by recent posts (to say nothing of the picture above) that a company representative had confirmed that some alteration in the process had resulted in the "new" color. Regardless, I'm very happy with the cherry color of my PAs. I inquire out of simple curiosity.

wdahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, they have changed their finishing process, perhaps that's the change. They certainly put much less cream polish on it now than they used to, it's a much more natural piece. And it's possible that Horween is doing something slightly different, though they haven't expressed anything to that extent. There is a lot of misinformation and intrigue about how shell is made, when really Horween basically just makes a few basic colors (natural, brown, burgundy, black, possibly whiskey, though that might just be dyed natural) and then lets the brands sort them out by shade how they want, and potentially finish them/dye them how they want.

Last edited:

JermynStreet

Reaction score
I think it was the lighting. This is what it looks like in a different lighting/angle. You can't tell from the pic, but there is an extra 3mm of excess material there. I would forget about it but I've never owned cordovan shoes. I'm expecting it to look much worse than this in a couple months of wear and the tiny pointy edge of the cap to flare out even more.

Reminds me a little of...

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

They are all Horween's burgundy shell cordovan, called #8, though sometimes given other colors depending on the shade by Alden and others, sometimes extra-dyed by Alden as well. #8 (and all the other shades of shell) has a very large range of colors, depending on the underlying leather and how the batch came out of Horween. Also, #8 has tones that breakdown with exposure to sunlight. Just as you can't take a 3-year old pair of jeans and compare it to a brand new pair of jeans, #8 shell changes color over time. It fades, it has certain pigments breakup with exposure to light, so putting them side by side just doesn't work.

Some AE shell from years ago was that bright cherry. I have a pair of brand new Rancourts in #8 shell and they are that bright cherry. I've also seen AE shell from years ago that is a dark brown mud. This is one of the reasons why Allison has said they don't carry rare colors anymore, because people started thinking all shell of a certain shade looks the same, when they really don't.

I haven't bothered to parse 2000+ pages but was led to believe by recent posts (to say nothing of the picture above) that a company representative had confirmed that some alteration in the process had resulted in the "new" color. Regardless, I'm very happy with the cherry color of my PAs. I inquire out of simple curiosity.

Well, they have changed their finishing process, perhaps that's the change. They certainly put much less cream polish on it now than they used to, it's a much more natural piece. And it's possible that Horween is doing something slightly different, though they haven't expressed anything to that extent. There is a lot of misinformation and intrigue about how shell is made, when really Horween basically just makes a few basic colors (natural, brown, burgundy, black, possibly whiskey, though that might just be dyed natural) and then lets the brands sort them out by shade how they want, and potentially finish them/dye them how they want.

AE changed their dye for their burgundy shell about a year ago. It isn't a change from Horween. Technically, there is a legitimate "old" and "new" burgundy shell finish with AE now.

Kap120

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with the Larchmonts compared to the 5 last? From what I've read people seem to size down a half size for them. Anyone else have a similar situation? Thanks!

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Does anyone have any pictures of the old vs. new AE shell burgundy on shoes that are not brand new?  

These are old burgundy with a year and a half of wear. I'm fond of the new shade but I can't complain abou how these are aging. Some Alden color 8 and cigar thrown in as well.

Night with flash:

As bucksfan pointed out they look very different based on lighting conditions.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That
Why not go with the combination tap sole? low profile and holds up well.

That's an option, but I was thinking about something chunkier, with a little more heft.

I guess I'll speak to Allison about it soon (I did finally get a call back today :)

WICaniac

Reaction score
These are old burgundy with a year and a half of wear. I'm fond of the new shade but I can't complain abou how these are aging. Some Alden color 8 and cigar thrown in as well.

Night with flash:

As bucksfan pointed out they look very different based on lighting conditions.

I'm sure you've answered this at least once already, but did you do anything special to achieve such a glossy shine?

Unregistered

Reaction score

I'm sure you've answered this at least once already, but did you do anything special to achieve such a glossy shine?

I need to know too.

Anyone have any experience with the Larchmonts compared to the 5 last? From what I've read people seem to size down a half size for them. Anyone else have a similar situation? Thanks!

8.5D in Fifth Aves (5 last), 8D in Larchmonts. They're slightly wider and have a little more volume too.

Mulligan142

Reaction score
Just ordered dark chocolate Daltons AND scored the last truffle shell cordovan McAllisters in 8.5D. No more purchases for the next few months.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
Fresh from their first day of service... Ready for some brushing. :slayer:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads