Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spex

Spex Senior member

If you hadn't described the problem, I'm not sure I could have spotted it from those photos. These are 2nd, you have to remember so you cannot expect perfection. Also remember the commonly made point around here that your feet will generally be further away from everyone's eyes than in close-up photos and usually your feel will be moving. No one will notice. It may bug you indefinitely, though, so you need to make the call.

2. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

I agree - quite acceptable in the context of seconds, and not something that really catches the eye in any event.

3. Septimus

Septimus Senior member

4. Tom Diginson

Tom Diginson Member

Are there any sales going on the RL Singletons ?

5. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

It is highly dependent on the shoe and the lighting. Below, see my "new" burgundy Patriot and Park Ave (far left and far right, respectively), alongside my "old" burgundy Leeds, Bradley, Cambridge, Randolph and MacNeil. My Macneils, for instance, are much more toward the brown side of the range, the Cambridge and Leeds much more red; they were that way from day 1.

[​IMG]

Same MacNeils, better light:
    [​IMG]

Separate but related note, see the various versions of #8: Rancourt unadulterated Horween #8 (very similar to AE's "old" burgundy), AE "new" burgundy and Alden's #8.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. tietherope

tietherope Senior member

$149 at the shoebank.

7. random-adam

random-adam Senior member

I've found that lighter leathers tend to darken rather than lighten... and belts-to-shoes needn't be an exact match. To that end, I'd suggest a walnut belt (or perhaps Narragansett's chestnut) and just wear the hell out of it.

8. schweezly

schweezly Active Member

Looking nice! I've been wanting them since they were announced and tried them on yesterday. The current price is good but I just couldn't justify paying $320 with tax. However, I got the perfect combo of things to make me buy... -Amazon has them for the same sale price -I had a 20% off coupon for shoes this month -I had $45 or so in Chase rewards that can be used on there sitting in my account So I've got a pair of firsts coming...for $190 shipped. Couldn't pass that up

9. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

That sounds great, can't wait to see it! Just curious as to why you opted for the dainite sole? I'm commissioning a similar makeup in Flatiron, and was pondering sole options. My standard AE leather soles get beat up quickly from the NYC subways, pavement, weather, etc. one pair of shoes had the soles wear down completely after only 10 wears! I'm wondering which would be more practical for wearing the hell out of these shoes in my environment: the JR double sole, independence, or the Dainite?

10. ScottyBoy920

ScottyBoy920 Senior member

Why not go with the combination tap sole? low profile and holds up well.

11. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

First wear of my cappuccino shell Dundees today. I figured I'd be on carpet for most of the day so I'd give them a little break in. Not something I normally do, but what the heck!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

Looking great!!! Would you do colored laces or not your style?

13. chinngiskhaan

chinngiskhaan Senior member

to be fair... He can expect perfection... and apparently he is... He shouldn't expect perfection, but his perception of the shoe is what it is... and that can't be changed. The supposed defect bothers him, it's obviously on his mind, and will be every time he puts them on, which means he will likely rarely ever wear them... He should return them. There is no point in keeping a pair of shoes you don't feel good about wearing. I agree that the defect is no big deal... but first impressions... even when it comes to first impressions of shoes STICK, and his first impression was that the defect bothers him... so he should not keep them.

14. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

I have a bunch of colored laces from J&M. You never know...I may. I have done blue laces in my whiskey LWB a couple times.

15. MacktasticGDogg

MacktasticGDogg Senior member

Those boots look really nice. I think the Danite sole is actually a plus for these boots. The football leather is pretty rugged, so together with the Dainite sole, these should be pretty good for the fall/winter season. I wish my football leather chukka boots came with Dainite instead of leather sole.

How do these fit compared to some other AE lasts?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.