• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdavis534

Reaction score
Cappuccino strands MTO in the mail....will get them Friday. Can't wait.

movoblast

Reaction score
I thought I could live with it, but my OCD is getting to me. Would you return these seconds brown shell strands? I got them during the $299 sale. As you can see there is excess material at the stitching of the cap. It is not as noticeable when looking down from normal viewing distance. The right shoe is fine. It is just this left shoe with too much material that isn't glued down.

mdavis534

Reaction score
I thought I could live with it, but my OCD is getting to me. Would you return these seconds brown shell strands? I got them during the $299 sale. As you can see there is excess material at the stitching of the cap. It is not as noticeable when looking down from normal viewing distance. The right shoe is fine. It is just this left shoe with too much material that isn't glued down.

They look pretty good otherwise. I would keep them if that's the only issue.

YoungSweet

Reaction score
Given the historical evidence that we have I think this is certainly coming. They are notorious for having discontinued their best looking models in the past.

I am personally a big fan of the Evanston but it had been discontinued before I even learned of the AE. I don't know who in the right mind would discontinue a shoe this beautiful?

Image: courtesy of SF.

Newbie to AE. You're right, these are beautiful. I would jump on these in a heart beat

movoblast

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I just needed a 2nd/3rd opinion.

My 2nd pair of seconds from the shoebank came in today via fedex. Those DEFINITELY need to go back. Words can't express how disappointed I was with that experience. I was looking forward to the mcallisters all week. I would have accepted scuffs, blemishes, or whatever for that cappuccino/truffle color. But guess what? The two sides were made on different lasts! When I checked the soles, the right side was clearly narrower throughout the shoe with a pointier toe and the left side was a little wider/fuller in the toe area. When I measured the length of the two soles, the right side longer by about half an inch. They are both marked 8.5EEE so I am assuming that the right shoe was made on the 5 last like it was supposed to and the left shoe was made on some unknown/unidentified last.

I am officially 1/2 right now with seconds. I was told that there would be aesthetic imperfections, but sending me a left and right shoe in two different lasts is unacceptable even as a second.

cincikid

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I just needed a 2nd/3rd opinion.

My 2nd pair of seconds from the shoebank came in today via fedex. Those DEFINITELY need to go back. Words can't express how disappointed I was with that experience. I was looking forward to the mcallisters all week. I would have accepted scuffs, blemishes, or whatever for that cappuccino/truffle color. But guess what? The two sides were made on different lasts! When I checked the soles, the right side was clearly narrower throughout the shoe with a pointier toe and the left side was a little wider/fuller in the toe area. When I measured the length of the two soles, the right side longer by about half an inch. They are both marked 8.5EEE so I am assuming that the right shoe was made on the 5 last like it was supposed to and the left shoe was made on some unknown/unidentified last.

I am officially 1/2 right now with seconds. I was told that there would be aesthetic imperfections, but sending me a left and right shoe in two different lasts is unacceptable even as a second.
They likely aren't on two different lasts. Instead, it's more plausible the size has been mismarked on one shoe. I'd contact the Shoebank and ship them back first thing in the morning.

GOP Shoe Guy

Reaction score
This was my MTO; I am a huge fan and happy they're getting some love! I think the Franciscans are great (obviously!) I would definitely recommend getting them in #8 Cordovan. I was actually planning on switching these to shell but they were already in production. Happy either way, I thunk the Independence Line is underrated here on SF

Good luck with the decision, either way they'll look great!

Quote:

Actually, I am a big fan of the detail in the cap. I think I am leaning towards the Franciscan. I appreciate everyones input. I think it will be burgundy shell with the Independence sole and wheeling for the classic look, like Subutai's. I have the Rutledge and Parkway, both on the 333 last, and they fit me just fine. I don't think I will have any issue with the fit. I will be emailing Allison in the a.m. to begin the order.

Also, I agree with Subutai, I think the Independence Line is underrated here. I have the Jefferson, Williams and Rutledge, and love them all. I also have the Jefferson coming in Brown Shell. I have 25 pairs of AEs and next to my Shells, the Independence shoes are my favorites.

Last edited:

chinngiskhaan

Reaction score
...didn't we have this conversation regarding the Alden thread and its frequenters just a few weeks ago?
Yes we did... Sorry, a guy brought it up and I had to say something... I probably need therapy or something, but I'll settle for talking about it on this thread.

Indeed we had.
multiple times on my accord in the last couple of months in fact.
rotflmao.gif
That title made me literally laugh out loud!
bounce2.gif
It may be funny... but it's also accurate. That thread is legitimately over the top creepy!

cincikid

Reaction score
Two news from Allison today: one bad and one good. As most folks on the market for an MTO already know, AE is officially out of cappuccino shell. While this certainly sucks, I am glad my cappuccino MacNeil is already in the works. The good thing is that I was informed AE should be able to attach a midsole between the welt and the Dainite sole on the brown shell Leeds MTO I want to make. I didn't want to sacrifice the look of the double sole on the Leeds and the chili midsole will add both the thickness and the contrast I want to achieve, I hope they are going to look very similar to the pair of Trickers below.

I opted for the brass eyelets, split reverse wheeled welt, natural midsole and red lining.

Coincidentally, I googled this pair of Trickers after I chose the red lining, but it's nice to see how it's going to look in flash. My only concern is that the lining would partly cover the heal pad. I wonder if this might cause some discomfort, especially if the lining will begin to tear down the road?

sungmineyo

Reaction score
Can anyone pm me Allison's email or ext. number? I can't find it by searching.

Thanks cincikid and mdubs!

Last edited:

salgy

Reaction score

I would actually say generally not.  AE doesn't want to sell shoes that are structurally defective.  That's not in their best interest...

If a shoe is blatantly structurally defective, it isn't released at all.

I actually have a pair of brown strands that are stamped "no warranties" on the inside of each shoe that I bought new from an AE outlet store... I have never asked what that means, I always assumed they were non-recraftable, but they show no flaw, never have... One would have to assume that if there is no physical flaw, there has to be a structural flaw, no?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics