Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

A good friend and I were discussing what others have previously mentioned. Is AE's robust seconds market simply a designed method to sell more shoes. I have seen plenty of seconds that have had less QC issues than firsts.Initially I was against the idea of buying seconds until I was advised my friends whole rotation was comprised of seconds.

2. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Senior member

I'd say that almost anyone who's a regular reader of a thread like this one probably won't pay full retail for the items being discussed. First, you learn about why the product is so expensive. If you buy it, then you stick around. Then, you learn about ways to get it for less. From what I've seen, that's the way that it works in most threads for these types of items.

3. cincikid

cincikid Senior member

This is the main reason I stopped following the Alden thread. It's been seriously resembling some sort of cult for a lack of a better word.

4. evolved

evolved Senior member

lol, the uncle/nephew thing is 100% creepy.

5. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

I don't disagree, but it's impossible to guess how many readers there are.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2013

6. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Senior member

That's an interesting point. I've got a few pairs of seconds, and all but the first pair (from 2010) look perfect. The first pair that I bought had clearly been tried on, and had some creasing. The last few don't show any signs of ever being outside of the boxes.

7. cincikid

cincikid Senior member

I also can't stand "wear them in a good health" refrain in nearly all posts.

8. cincikid

cincikid Senior member

Unless we've got someone on this thread working for Google :)

9. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

I totally see this point. However, I have bought 5+ pairs of seconds and all of them were visibly of lower quality than the firsts I have

10. cincikid

cincikid Senior member

I would second this. I believe that given the AEs' volume, they must have a non-trivial percentage of shoes having a somewhat inferior quality to be sold as firsts. I wonder though, what's the ratio of seconds to firsts in the AE production? Any thoughts?

11. jungleroller

jungleroller Senior member

Truth. I was in the Chicago location off Michigan last night for literally 5-7 minutes just wanting to verify how "bourbon" looked in person. 2 seperate gentlemen were in there on busines both in need of emergency shoe replacement [​IMG]

12. NWTeal

NWTeal Senior member

I wonder how many people working at Google wear dress shoes on a regular basis.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2013

13. rc121

rc121 Senior member

I was just thinking about doing a MTO mora and thought about snuff suede, but was leaning more towards merlot or even chili. I think that would be pretty slick...

14. cincikid

cincikid Senior member

Good point. There could always be just one outlier. Not many people wear dress shoes at where I work as well.

15. green garden

green garden Senior member

Does anyone have any pictures of the old vs. new AE shell burgundy on shoes that are not brand new? I don't have an AE shell burgundy but through the posts in this forum find that the old AE burgundy evolves into a bright cherry color. I find the old AE burgundy very appealing. In fact, I asked Allison if they can finish a burgundy MTO order with the "old" color. Unfortuantely she said that they have changed their process and re-creating the "old" would not be possible. I'm just wondering if the "new" AE finish still transforms into a bright cherry instead of a darker hue which seems to be the logical development of the current finish.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.