Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WICaniac

WICaniac Senior member

I would go for the Mora because I could not get the 333 last on the Franciscan to fit for me, and the the brogued cap on such an elongated toe proved problematic. The shoes pictured look gorgeous, as did my Walnut. On my feet, however, they looked clownish, and the shoes creased just forward of the broguing, pinching my toes with every step. On a table with shoe trees in them, I'd pick the Franciscans shown here above nearly every other AE shoe--but they just didn't work for me. I replaced them with Jermyns in walnut to get the same aesthetic (regarding the toe) with a better fit and a trend-proof profile. This puts me back in the market for a monk strap, and the Mora looks good to me. In burgundy shell, I would prefer its cleaner look over the Franciscan.

2. WICaniac

WICaniac Senior member

+1. This is why I (a newish member contributing to this discussion on sales, etc.) frequent the AE appreciation threat. It is this about the brand (vice the prestige) that appeals most to me.

3. cincikid

cincikid Senior member

Would there be any compelling reason for me to get a walnut Strand or Fifth Avenue providing I have walnut Sanfords and brown shell Strands?
    On a related note, I was thinking of getting a pair of PTB for a casual wear. Choosing between the Leeds (a brown shell MTO on the Dainite sole I am considering), Kenilworth and the Rapid City, which one would best cover all bases?

4. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

I think the Leeds would be the most versatile. I think the answer to the first question rests heavily on the size of your shoe rotation. It definitely risks redundancy, but if you have lots of shoes, it may not be too big of a deal.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2013

5. cincikid

cincikid Senior member

MWS, I think I actually lost track [​IMG], but it's certainly in the range of ~20 plus a few on order. Mostly AE but also a few Aldens, Church's and one Yuketen.
    I was thinking of selling Sanfords if I were to acquire the Strand, but I believe it is actually more appropriate for the casual wear. What do you think?

6. MoneyWellSpent

I think your rotation is large enough to handle both, especially given that one is a blucher while the other is a balmoral.

7. cincikid

cincikid Senior member

Thanks again, MWS. Your advice is always spot-on.
    If memory serves, the Sanford was among your favorites, but I believe you also have the Strand. Which one do you tend to reach out to more often?

8. MoneyWellSpent

Sanfords. I wear bluchers far more often than balmorals due to my work environment.

9. cincikid

cincikid Senior member

This is what I was hoping to hear! I too find bluchers more versatile, although I must admit I do like the sleek profile of the Strand. It's a gorgeous shoe--perhaps one of the best looking shoes around.

10. WICaniac

WICaniac Senior member

I was thrilled to get Leeds in black shell for $299 this past week, not because I think they're the handsomest shoe in the AE lineup (far from it) but because I needed a new pair of uniform shoes for one month a year and wanted something that I could work into my weekly rotation without appearing to wear "low quarters" in civilian clothes. I have found very few pictures of black Leeds (shell or calf) in the stylish wild, however, and wonder whether I'm chasing a chimera. I am acutely sensitive to this as I've noticed that (from the perspective of the wearer peering down) my new Red Wing Beckman chukkas in black look a heck of a lot like old jungle boots. Thoughts?

11. MoneyWellSpent

I agree. I wonder if AE will discontinue it? [​IMG]

12. cincikid

cincikid Senior member

I think the black shell Leeds are very handsome shoes, although black shell is hardly the most desirable color for most folks on this thread. I personally think the Leeds would look terrific with the brass eyelets.

13. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

Here are the couple of pictures I could find quickly of mine. I think they can easily be worked into a weekly rotation.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

14. cincikid

cincikid Senior member

Given the historical evidence that we have I think this is certainly coming. They are notorious for having discontinued their best looking models in the past.

I am personally a big fan of the Evanston but it had been discontinued before I even learned of the AE. I don't know who in the right mind would discontinue a shoe this beautiful?
    [​IMG]
    Image: courtesy of SF.

15. random-adam

random-adam Senior member

My first pair of shell last year were some NOS (decades-old) black Leeds on eBay for $125. I still wear them whenever black bluchers are called for, which unfortunately isn't very often -- usually weekends with jeans. That said, I can't imagine a better shoe to have in black shell. The material is showcased nicely on the expanse of unadorned plain toe.

[​IMG]

On another note, I just finished taking advantage of the RDA sale on an MTO Bayfield for casual use with a heavy lugged sole, split reverse buff welt, and tan Dublin leather. Kind of a Frankenshoe (lighter leather, unadorned captoe, lugged sole) but it'll slot nicely into my business-casual and weekend attire, especially after I pick up a matching belt and some nicer denim.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.