1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. masernaut

masernaut Senior Member

In comparison to the Park Avenue, AE owners report that the Dundee fits larger, wider and longer.
    The Dundee is on the sale last as the Dalton. I've found that the 1-last fits my foot very, very well and is great for those who have a slightly higher instep.

Source: http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF3611_1_40000000001_-1
    "Ratings Summary."

2. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Distinguished Member

On the Mora discussion... I was just skimming through the AE CEO's blog and his most recent post just happens to mention it:

"Speaking of the MORA, it's back by popular demand as another of our new styles this fall. We discontinued the first Mora edition a few years ago because, frankly, we didn't think we had the fit just right. After quite a bit of pattern work and "fit trials" on a lot of feet, we felt the style was ready for an overdue comeback. The MORA 2.0 is the result -- a very classy and unique statement shoe for the office or special nights out."

http://allenedmondsblog.blogspot.com/2013/09/sole-with-capital-s.html

Last edited: Oct 1, 2013

3. cincikid

cincikid Senior Member

What happened to Sanford is a shame. According to Paul, this was the shoe most requested by the old-time customers and store managers alike. Yet, after just a few years it has been discontinued once again.

4. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

For me, personally. I am the same size in 5 and the Dundee. I am in between sizes, though. I am about an 8.25. The only 5 last I have is a balmoral and considering my high instep I probably should have gone with the 8E. But as far as length and width, the 1 and 5 fit the same for me. The only issue I have with the fit of my 5 last is the lacing gap, although that is subjective.

5. MacktasticGDogg

MacktasticGDogg Senior Member

Wearing my cappuccino Dundees from the original WebGem today. These now look pretty close to the color of my walnut shell Kenilworths:
    [​IMG]

I take the same size (9D) in the Dundee as the 5-lasted shoes, but the Dundee feels a little bit roomier around the ball and heel area.

6. jmza2

jmza2 Member

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this or not (1st post) but given the theme of this thread I figured I would elicit some opinions. I purchased my first pair of AEs (McAlllister in Walnut) a few weeks back. I love the fit and have been receiving compliments on them virtually everywhere I go.

With that being said I am looking to make two other purchases: one bourbon and one black. I'm leaning towards the Larchmont in both and the Shoe Factory has them in my size at $179 each.

I love the design of the shoe and view them as both versatile and a design that toes the line between traditional and fashion forward.

Who has experience with this style?

7. ScottyBoy920

ScottyBoy920 Senior Member

Was hoping someone with a more definite answer could assist you but they are all caught up in a conversation about AE's value and if it is depreciating with the constant sales. [​IMG] On that topic, I know that retailers and manufacturers bake in sales and defectives into the costs of their products. There for there is a strict equation used by AE to factor in such events and is in no way hurting their bottom line. Of course like any business, you want to make the most money possible but being able to hit margin goals is the first requirement. I frequent different AE locations in NYC and see people buying full price all the time... if you have the money than spend it!!

Now back to your question- I dont believe they are on commision. But again, I dont truly know.

8. SBear

SBear Senior Member

Apologies for responding without experience to answer your specific question but: 1) I do like the style and 2) are you sure you would want all three shoes to be full brogue wings? I'd suggest introducing more variety...cap toe...PTB...monk...

9. rc121

rc121 Senior Member

in my experience owning both the larchmont and strand, the larchmont definitely runs bigger. its on an elongated last and is also more forgiving in width because its a blucher. I kept the same size in both, but definitely could have gone a half size down.

10. cincikid

cincikid Senior Member

I was told that AE SA do get commission on sales that they make, but not when the AE has sales.

11. OptoDoc

OptoDoc Senior Member

Excellent comparison, MWS.

12. wdahab

wdahab Distinguished Member

So, Allison says they are definitely all out of cappuccino for new orders (at least for my request yesterday) with the remaining stock all promised out. So brown shell it is, which is a gorgeous color anyway, and at 15% off this is still a huge steal. Some people had been bouncing around the (apparently incorrect) thought that cappuccino and brown shell were the same, but Allison said that it's the *truffle* and cappuccino that are the same. The brown in a different, though similar, color.

Anyway, so my order is brown shell Neumoks with a double JR sole, reverse split and chili edging. Hard inner sole, not padded. Basically these are going to be unlined, unconstructed, patina machines, with components that should last a long, long time. No non-replaceable components on these (the inner lining is always the week point in a pair of shells, it can give out decades before the shell would have).

13. Beardo

Beardo Member

Thoughts? Light or dark sole better looking?

Thanks,

14. Beardo

Beardo Member

Talking about this comparison.

15. random-adam

random-adam Distinguished Member

And there we have it. Thanks, everyone, for saving me from myself. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.