Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WICaniac

WICaniac Senior member

Sorry about the confusion. AE describes the original Mora as being "ahead of its time," which seems to indicate that sales were laggard during its initial run. A agree that they should drop the 2.0 from the current incalfation.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2013

2. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

Okay, now I wonder if the 2.0 is printed on the inside of the shoe...

3. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

Can anyone speak of the fit of the mora 2 vs. the 5 last I.E. strand etc?

4. NWTeal

NWTeal Senior member

I think we are mixing seconds sales and sales on firsts right now. I agree with the point made in that AE first qualities don't go on sale as often and RDA is one of the few occassions that everything is on sale along with Nordstrom sales. With the nordstrom sales, it's limited to the models they sell.

I buy seconds because the firsts are almost always $345 or else I'd just wait for the next sale. Also, other than a few select models, even with RDA, AE firsts that are $345 are $290, which is still a hefty price for most.

5. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

Interesting interpretation. I would have taken that to just be a tagline, but I'm not saying you are wrong. Where do they say this by the way?

I based my opinion on the fact that AE released the Mora during the time when Double Monks were becoming very popular, along with all the other shoe manufacturers. AE didn't invent the Double Monk, after all. Complaints about it being discontinued were easy to find, and the reviews of the Neumora were often fraught with people lamenting the discontinued Mora. Then, AE replaces the Neumora with it's original iteration, hence my assumption that it was more successful.

6. StephenB

StephenB Senior member

Does anyone know if AE employees work on commission? I got my first pair of AE (Rutledge in walnut) a couple weeks ago and now with the sale I want to pick up a second (Stands in black I think, maybe Mcallister). I was pleased with the guy helping me out and if they are going to be the same price whether I order them online or through the store I see no reason why not to help him earn a commission.

Second question; Strands or Mcallisters (in black)? hmmm....For use with suits.

7. rc121

rc121 Senior member

I had a discussion with my SA which seemed to indicate this very thought. I mentioned that I had been looking for some Moras for sometime and that there seemed to be some demand for them. He stated this was a little funny because the Moras did not sell very well (at least to his knowledge), which is most likely why they were discontinued originally.

8. green garden

green garden Senior member

AE has definitely tried to cater to a younger demographic by introducing a lot of newer models. But one thing that I find strange is that they don't have a shortwing blucher. I would think this is a staple classic, no?

9. NWTeal

NWTeal Senior member

They discontinued the Player's shoe which was a short wing blucher. Not sure why, it was a pretty slick looking shoe.

10. Scottyb06

Scottyb06 Senior member

I have only purchased AE shoes at significant discounts or as seconds and still view them as a top quality brand. Then again, I buy ALL of my products that way (e.g., electronics, etc.) - especially clothes - even though I can afford to pay full price. I like knowing that I'm buying something that is of high quality, a great design, and I'm supporting the local economies of the state I grew up in. I also like that I receive top-notch customer service from those I deal with at the Shoe Bank despite only purchasing shoes at a discount. Regarding shoes going on clearance/closeout quickly, this often happens in industries where a new style is tested and may not do so well. That's why I like that AE introduces styles which I don't like (e.g., crackle brown, dress shoes with white soles, etc.). I know that somewhere out there they are buyers who do like them and it also shows that the company is willing to try something new/alternative. I love my Amoks and Neumoks and those likely wouldn't have been designed or released if the company played things too conservatively. In me they have earned a customer for life!

11. MoneyWellSpent

Though they don't always seem to discontinue shoes based solely on their sales. They seem to have at least a little bit of the "take it away to increase the appetite and reintroduce it later" approach at times. Sort of like Disney putting their classic movies in "The Vault" only to be released every decade or so. Granted, some of this is conjecture, but every now and then, a shoe that seems to be quite popular will be eliminated.

Take the Sanford as an example. When it was reintroduced after being discontinued, their webpage said the following:

"Believe it or not, once and a while even we make mistakes - like discontinuing this shoe after offering it for more than 15 years. But thanks to our loyal customers, who asked for its return more than any other shoe, we brought back this classic in 2010 and now it is more popular than ever.

"The high demand is no doubt a result of combining its more versatile blucher style with the business-ready brogue detail and a dressed up cap-toe. Comfort also plays a big role in its success given that we designed this model to fit a little bit wider through the ball of the foot - meaning the Sanford ideally suits broader feet or ones with higher insteps or arches.

And yet, less than 3 years later it is discontinued again. [​IMG]

12. WICaniac

WICaniac Senior member

I don't recall, but the accompanying image showed a pair in white (and perhaps other colors--but only the white double-monk emblazoned itself on my memory).

13. movoblast

movoblast Senior member

In response to the posts on Allen edmonds value a page or two back:

I just purchased 2 pairs of seconds and a pair of firsts. On one of the pair of cordovan seconds(Strands), there is an excess of material in the stitching of the cap. So the cap looks like it has an extra 2mm to 3mm of material that slightly flares upwards. I was hoping to receive a shoe with a scuff or two, but I received this. Although you will definitely notice it if your face is two or three feet away AND you are actively searching for imperfections, it is harder to see from normal view (standing upright). Once I wear the shoe a couple times, the creases in the cordovan will mask it anyways. I say for half the price of firsts, they are worth it AT THE MOMENT because I am a grad student. HOWEVER, once I graduate and start making some money, I would much rather pay full price for firsts and not have these little quirks. I still see the shoe as being a $345 shoe and will be purchasing firsts in the future.

14. tietherope

tietherope Senior member

Can anyone give some advice on the Dundee fit vs. the 5 last? There may be a seconds for me depending on the answer, thanks for any help.

15. MoneyWellSpent

Perhaps it was the color they were referring to! [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.