Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YoungSweet

YoungSweet Senior member

$239 is a good deal but I've seen the fifth aves at this price point a couple times this year already. With the holiday coming up and Nordy sale at the end of the year, I'm sure it'll drop to this number again so if you're not in a hurry, you can probably wait. Patience will pay off, I just got my Fifth walnut last week for $200 [​IMG]

2. shendo

shendo Member

I drove 1.5 hours to the nearest Allen Edmonds store this afternoon to try to take advantage of their sale. I had previously tried mailorder from their website but receiving, trying, and sending back shoes to find my size took too long.

With the help of the sales associate, I've found I wear a 7.5D in the 65 last but they didn't have much in my size. I tried the Wilbert (too much slip on the heel), the Derby (cramped my left small toe), and a pair of loafers (forgot the name of the style but didn't like how they felt).

I did come away with my first pair of AE's: the Strand in Walnut:

[​IMG]

I really liked the rich Walnut color and felt it really brought out the patterns on the Strand. I also sprung for a matching belt, polish, and a couple of shoe trees (19.99 on sale and the SA generously sold me the 2nd tree for 0.01).

I wanted a pair of the Fifth Avenue in Burnished Brown but they were out of stock. Guess I'll order those from AE.com now that I know which size to order.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2013

3. V1KTA222

V1KTA222 Senior member

For this current sale, can you take 15% of $299 for any shell seconds that are left?

4. YoungSweet

YoungSweet Senior member

Those look great. Walnut Strands are my favorites in the rotation

5. DHD28

DHD28 Senior member

Just pulled on a Bourbon and Brown Strand. Gonna see which shade of brown I like better and ship the other one back.

6. allaboutshoes

allaboutshoes Senior member

NO NEED TO WAIT.
    I don't mean to plug my own thread, but this is more of a service to SF members and for those who are looking for Firsts at below 2nds pricing :slayer:

There is additional discounts with the Rediscover America sale this week in my thread. Please see signature and PM me for details

7. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

naw gotta work in the am, have to pay for shoes.

8. movoblast

movoblast Senior member

Hmm I'm starting to wonder the same thing. I purchased my cappuccino mcallisters the day before the sale started because the salesman said to jump on it before its gone. I wonder if I could have gotten 15% off if I had bought it the next morning.

9. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

I often wear tans or browns with a navy or grey suit, and sometimes black if I'm being more classic/formal. Black patent on this occasion was because I was being a dick It went well for me.

The only way to "dull" patent leather is to make it dirty or scratch it. I will wear these shoes rarely because they're a bit of a statement, just like bright yellow socks. Never to be taken too seriously. If you want to be more "business", leave them for another day and wear ordinary calf black captoes. Like I am today. Albeit with lavender laces and raspberry socks. The general I had my first meeting with today thought it was cool. That and the three piece suit. Don't be afraid of having your own style. ;)

10. jasonmx3

jasonmx3 Senior member

Is the RDA sale the best time to get first quality pairs?

I'm in no rush to get another pair, but if is, then I might get one more and just put it in reserve.

11. woodforth

woodforth New Member

Can't go wrong with the Park Avenue, but I will say that if you can live with the Soho, you can get it MUCH cheaper! I don't know about the black Delray... I have the chili Delray and really like it, it's a nice shoe, but black?[​IMG] That, and don't go TOO too hard on the AE's, you'll discover Alden, decide if you like shell or not, and go from there.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2013

12. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

Yeah, but Alden don't have a "shoe bank"...

13. bobbymilwaukee

bobbymilwaukee Active Member

Hey can anyone help me out with a question? I'm going to buy a pair of shoes from allaboutshoes here on SF and was initially set on the Mora 2.0's as I've been wanting to get a hold of some double monks for a while now. Doing some reading though, seems people aren't psyched on the square toe look and neither am I. However, I noticed the last that people seem to dislike, the 333 isn't what is listed on AE's website. It says the last is the 108. Can anyone give me an idea of how these look and if its changed the square toed look? I haven't been able to find a pair anywhere near me. For reference, I wear an 8D in Park Ave's. Thanks.

14. md2010

md2010 Senior member

I thought they have shoe vault ?

15. tietherope

tietherope Senior member

The seconds list comes with the discounted price showing and it still shows $299 for shell seconds.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.