Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mazderati

Mazderati Well-Known Member

Feet are clearly different from one person to the next, and there is variance in construction from one shoe to the next, but I think the shankless construction of AE shoes is likely the primary source of their willingness to flex and bend at the heel.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012

2. Bear

Bear Well-Known Member

Agree to an extent - has to be a combo of the shoe and the foot.

At least I am not crazy because others with flat feet are experiencing the same bulge with the same style shoe AEs.

I have noticed that the tighter I make the shoe at the ankle (even lock lacing) minimizes the bulge. Unfortunately the shoes are not as comfortable then and get hot quickly - leading to sweating more and overall just on my mind rather than just being there complimenting the rest of the wardrobe.

3. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

I didn't see a difference between lock lacing, low lock lacing, and bar lacing. Of course that may just be me. I did notice a better fit without the arch insert (my feet are almost perfectly flat). I ordered Pedag stick on arches (no heel cup) to see if I can get the arch support without elevating the heel. Good luck to all the flat foots; I am rooting for you.

4. Superfluous

Superfluous Senior member

What's the consensus on the fit of the new 3 last? If I do 11B in most of the shoes, would an 11B be way too narrow for me? They don't have C...

5. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Totally agree. I think it's a combination of how you walk (how hard you strike your heel), foot anatomy, the specific last and how AE constructs their shoes. I get minor flexing and bowing in my AE's and have never experienced that with any other shoe and never been told that I have flat feet or anything else anatomically wrong.

6. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

7. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

Wow, very nice. I saw the Independence Collection in person a couple weeks ago, though the Rutledge was not out yet. I'd encourage anyone interested in these to see them in person, as the leather is different than used in their regular line of shoes, and the colors seem to have a different effect in person than online. I was a big fan of black, but not of the walnut, on shoes I saw.

8. ymmt

ymmt Well-Known Member

I have the same exact problem with the shell strands. Extreme bowing at the top line. I posted on it a few months back. I ended up returning them for good after 4 exchanges.

9. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

10. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

The rippling at the ankle looks like the shoe is just asking to bow out on 90% of the feet that try to wear it.

11. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

12. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

Yes, this is exactly why I recommend seeing them in person. The rippling is not as apparent in black as it is in the brown shades.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012

13. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

Thinking this bowing issue through it has to be a measurable metric. As I have several pairs of shoes on the 1-511 last and only my new Bradley’s have the issue but on the same last I came up with a repeatable measurement. I tied the top eyelets together and then measured the width of the topline at the widest point and same location on all the shoes.

[​IMG]

Tenths of an inch should suffice for statistic significance in this case. I spread the jaws of the calipers until I could just see the tension on the laces at the top eyelets. Results were extremely consistent on my AE shoes purchased in the past based on the #1 last:

Leeds shell….…….2.4”
    Leeds calf……...…2.4”
    Shelton……………2.4”
    Wilbert brown….…2.4”
    Wilbert black...…..2.4”

But the Bradley measures a huge 3.1” across the collar. It is excess material that is causing the bowing, plain and simple. I was surprised the Shelton being a balmoral measured the same as the others which are bluchers. But they are all very consistent, except for the Bradley which bows.

I’m planning on going to the AE store tomorrow to pick up 5th Street boots that they ordered in for me. I have never been to an AE store and want to look at the Strands however need to try the fit on the 5 last before purchasing them. Wonder if I shouldn’t just take the calipers with me and measure before I put them on my feet. Bet I can predict if they are going to bow or not.

14. Shiny

Shiny Senior member

^^ Wow! Breaking out the ol' caliper.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.