Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OptoDoc

OptoDoc Senior member

I started lurking in this thread about 2 years ago to get tips on what to purchase for my first pair of 'nice' shoes. At the time, I thought paying over $100 for a pair of shoes was asinine. I had been wearing loafers from Kohl's at $45 a pop until they wore out and had to be replaced. I never thought I'd actually have a 'collection' of shoes.

Now I have 8 pairs of AE and 3 pairs of other high quality, goodyear welted shoes. I've spent more in 2 years on shoes than I have in all of the previous years combined.

So, seriously...be warned [​IMG]

But to answer your question movoblast, I'll let you know what my first three pair were.

Walnut Strand
    Burgundy Clifton
    Black Vernon
    ...followed quickly by brown Kenilworths

This allowed me quite a bit of variety. I do think it is important to have a pair of nice black shoes to wear for certain formal occasions and social situations.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2013

2. OptoDoc

OptoDoc Senior member

Nope, I regularly change the color of laces on my bourbon McAllisters and bucks.

Today I'm wearing stone colored suede bucks with purple laces as I prepare for the LSU/Georgia game. [​IMG]

3. OptoDoc

OptoDoc Senior member

Thanks for this Patrick...unfortunately they don't seem to come in anything smaller than a 10.

4. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

I thought the same thing but if you take a look at the available sizes, you'll see Men's 7, 8, 9 are also listed as Women's 10, 11, 12 or EU 40, 41, 42.

5. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

New webgems are pretty terrible, and the bowtie/cummerbund sets are horrendous.

WTF.

6. random-adam

random-adam Senior member

It's as though somebody who didn't understand black tie decided to get really into black tie.

One textbook-correct black tie shoe seems too much to ask since the Copley was discontinued years ago. :(

7. macjedi

macjedi Senior member

Thanks for posting about these … I've been looking at the same ones on AMZ for a while. Do they fit TTS?

8. ScottyBoy920

ScottyBoy920 Senior member

Anyone recommend a place to pick up tongue pads?

9. cincikid

cincikid Senior member

I got mine at the feetrelief.com. They were like a buck a pair and the shipping was free as well. I have no complains after about 6 months of constant use on my McGraws.

10. cincikid

cincikid Senior member

A quick correction. They are actually 42 cent a pair. I just added to pairs to my card and shipping USPS first class was another 15 cent. Less than a buck for two pairs delivered to your door is a pretty good deal!

11. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

stopped in at the AE store and was given free heel and tongue pad.

12. OptoDoc

OptoDoc Senior member

Ah, sweet.

13. cincikid

cincikid Senior member

Sweet. Unfortunately, the closest AE store is about an hour drive from where I live, so I'd rather pay a buck to get them shipped.

14. cincikid

cincikid Senior member

Just got a catalogue and a personal letter from a manager at the AE store in Boston, signed by Alex Grangaard. Pretty rare last name to be a coincidence.

15. MacktasticGDogg

MacktasticGDogg Senior member

I went into the local AE store today to try-on and order a pair of the Web Gem shell Jeffersons today. The standard calfskin Jefferson looked and felt pretty good, so hopefully the shell version is about the same in feel. It should look pretty smashing. I think I'm going to need to be done with buying shoes for a very long while after this pair (I also have another pair of shoes on order that may arrive at about the same time as the shell Jeffersons)...

So, did anyone else pull the trigger on the the brown shell Web Gems? Didn't seem like very many here went for this round of Web Gems. I guess the Jefferson might be the only worthwhile pair from this round though.

BTW, the Minneapolis store have already started the Rediscover America sale today. All AE branded items are at least 15% off, with some featured items at a greater discount. Picked up a football leather belt while I was there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.