1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

Different Lasts

2. Mean Mr Mustard

Mean Mr Mustard Senior member

You could also try insoles. I bought a bunch of shoes in Japan last year in 9E before realizing I was a 9D. So when I was in Canada over Christmas I went to Walmart and got some ProFoot insoles which make the shoes very comfortable. So much so that I might consider buying 9E shoes in the future. The only thing I'm unsure about is whether they'll lose their shape and need replacing at some point (the insoles, I mean). If so, it might be a bit of a nuisance. So far so good, though.

These are the ones I got (assuming the link works). They're different from most insoles I've seen in that they cover from the heel to the ball of the foot, rather than the entire inside of the shoe:

http://www.profootcare.com/p-triad.html

I think, though, others have said they don't like wearing insoles so it's certainly a personal preference.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
  3. Mean Mr Mustard

Mean Mr Mustard Senior member

On the insoles, I should add that because they don't fill up the entire shoes, the effect is less than other insoles, such that an E width with the insole is, I think, slightly roomier than a D without.

4. Gianni Cerutti

Gianni Cerutti Senior member

Very very boots...

5. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

No, discontinued styles are no longer allowed. This is a change in policy that has been covered extensively in this thread and the AE MTO thread over the past two weeks.

Maybe this manager is tired of getting burned spending a lot of time fitting customers who then proceed to order shoes from other sources, depriving him of a commission that he was working hard for. Just a thought.

6. Papa Doble

Papa Doble Senior member

With one exception, I've never enjoyed interacting with BB staff.

The two normal AE stores I've been to were hit or miss, with the managers noticeably more helpful than the other staff. The best AE employee I've interacted with is Kenard at the Charleston outlet.

7. bkotsko

bkotsko Senior member

8. peppercorn78

A few occasions in the Madison Ave NYC store, I was given clearly incorrect information about shoe lasts (though it's possible that when I said "Neumora" he thought I was saying "new mora"). Not wanting to be rude, I didn't correct him when he assured me the square-toed Neumoras I was wearing at the moment were on the 8 Last.

I've found everyone in the Rockefeller Center store to be excellent in knowledge, service, and attitude (though I do always make a point to wear my AEs when I visit so they know I'm serious). And of course the ladies at the Jeffersonville Outlet always go above and beyond.

But I'm sure it's common for SA at any upper-end retailer to size up whether certain customers are likely to buy or are just milling around killing time.

9. peppercorn78

BTDubs, wearing my chili Refent Streets to a school board meeting today. My very first pair of AEs, and also my favorite (for many reasons, not the least of which may be sentimentality). Looks very mid-brown indoors, but natural lighting makes the red undertones really pop.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. DJTraveler

DJTraveler Senior member

Fifth Streets ITW at O'Hare airport. Picked these up for $149 from last week's Shoebank boot promotion. I've experienced none of the squeaking or break-in issues others have reported. Loving them so far!

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  11. bkotsko

bkotsko Senior member

Looks great DJ.
    Why is one only laced part way up?

Edit: Sorry OCD

12. DJTraveler

DJTraveler Senior member

Good catch! :) The left shoe came with a shorter lace. I called the shoebank and they're going to send me a replacement pair of laces at no cost. Gotta love the Shoebank customer service!

13. cincikid

cincikid Senior member

There's more than just the soles. The lasts are also different. Amok, if memory serves, is made on the 4 last, whereas Mojave is on the 809 last.
    Mojave also looks a lot like Clarks desert boots, and Amok is a bit dressier chukka. I got both during the recent sale and I will share my thoughts later today.

1 person likes this.
  14. cincikid

cincikid Senior member

15. deebs

deebs Member

Originally Posted by watchidiot [​IMG]

I used the whole weekend to darken my chukkamoks and I really like how it turned out. Wore it with burgundy chinos to mass today.
    [​IMG]
    What product did you use? I think I'd like to try that with my brown neumoks I recently got via the 2nds sale.

16. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

Got my Chili Shaker Heights from the sale on Saturday and thrilled with them - added some leather lotion to them then a very light covering with some Neutral AE polish...somehow either I misplaced or never got the Chili polish. Anyway they came with what seemed like some light burnishing on the toe area that faded as you moved up the shoe, more on the right boot more than the left. It looks really nice so when I get my shoe skills up a little more I may do a lite stripping of the finish then use my black brush and see if I can impart a little more.

Really shocked by how much I like these and ordered my standard shoe size - they fit perfect initially with dress socks but have loosened up a touch already so will see how they end up at the end of the day - I have socks for use just with boots which are thicker so I have no fear of them being too loose.

Such great products and service from AE at really stellar pricing - Could not be happier.....well once the Bourbon Daltons arrive I will be.

17. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Looks like a great all around summer shoe! Especially if one isn't a huge fan of boat shoes or in addition to them!

18. bkotsko

bkotsko Senior member

I have an MTO request on them in the works

19. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

I have the natural wax Mactavish and after using AE conditioner cleaner on them they are very close in color to the walnut MacNeil's now that they sit next to- I love the look however moving forward I test a spot on the shoe before covering the entire thing.

20. chinngiskhaan

chinngiskhaan Senior member

I've said exactly this a number of times... there is absolutely no logical reason for not sticking with this kind of photo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.