1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. runners n jeans

runners n jeans Member

I was in your boat three months ago (and still am really), and was hesitant to buy used shoes on eBay without knowing how they would really fit. I came across this advice and went with it:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/48486/need-help-with-allen-edmonds-sizing#post_747856

Quote: With that said, it's all too easy to buy shoes on eBay that you know won't fit the best simply because it's a good deal and you'll reason that you can add insoles, tongue pads, heel pads, double socks, etc. But in the end, $30-$60 on a shoe you won't wear because it doesn't fit is $30-$60 wasted. If you spend that on four pairs of shoes, you could have just gotten one pair that fits well that you'll actually enjoy wearing.

2. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

My replacement Leeds just arrived and after careful inspection, I'm happy to report that there are no noticeable defects. I think I got a damn near perfect pair [of factory 2nds]. It was only when I'd applied a coat of renovateur to my first pair that I noticed the defect (hole). I'll apply a coat of renovateur to them tonight to inspect them even more closely but as far as I can tell, I'll be keeping them.

I'm amazed at how well the #1 last fits me. I wish my shell Macneil fit as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The telltale sign of a bargain shopper :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is what was wrong with the first pair:

[​IMG]

I picked that pair up myself and missed that defect. Clearly I was blinded by the prospect of inexpensive shell cordovan [​IMG].

3. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Thanks for the help.

4. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

5. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

The military exchange price of AE shoes normally reflect sale prices. As soon as I saw this morning that the shell PA were available (thanks to SF!) I requested a quote from the Military Exchange on the black shell PA. Just got a reply from them (they have to get it from AE) and can't beleive the price quoted. This will be the lowest cost shell yet for me. As soon as I got the MilExch reply I called to place the order but the Special Order people only work till 4 CST so have to wait till Monday now.

I've never seen black shell and seldom wear black shoes. But pretty sure I can figure out how to fit a pair into my rotation [​IMG] Wait, I still don't have any dark brown shell either, hmmm.

6. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

They look great, patrick! Glad it worked out so well for you. Enjoy!

7. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

Beautiful shoes, good sir. Looks like AE redeemed themselves...

8. ncdobson

ncdobson Senior member

Quote:
    When I put in "spectator" in the search box on the website before posting here, neither shoe came up. Thanks!

9. violethour1951

violethour1951 Senior member

Recently found a pair of Cliftons in my size at Nordstrom Rack, always thought they are good looking casual shoes -- little scuffed but nothing a bit of elbow grease can't fix:

[​IMG]

10. Johdus Fanfoozal

Johdus Fanfoozal Senior member

Speaking of Nordstrom Rack, the one by me in Paramus NJ recently got a load of Player's in walnut. Selling for $200.

11. knezz

knezz Senior member

12. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

I don't fit into the 222 last very well either. I like the prospect of a shell cordovan single monk, but fit is very important. And, shell has less give than calf.

13. knezz

knezz Senior member

+1
    My calf copy fits OK... no great but OK

Last edited: Mar 31, 2012
  14. Johdus Fanfoozal

Johdus Fanfoozal Senior member

Cross posted from "unexpected encounters with celebrities"

So I went to the tiny Allen Edmonds store off Madison Ave. in midtown Manhattan yesterday afternoon to kill some time before meeting the wife for dinner.

In walks Steve Weatherford - the NY Giants punter, who was great in the Super Bowl run. So great that that he got the franchise tag and will be paid $2.5 million a year.

He was really cool with the SA helping him. The SA didn't remember his name, but kept introducing him enthusiastically to his colleagues as "the Giants punter."

I left before he bought anything, but he was trying on something two-toned like the Broadstreet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. ejomby

ejomby Active Member

So, was wondering what everyone's favorite last is. I've become familiar with the 1, 2, 5, and 7, and out of all of those, the 5 seems to be the best fit for me. Black McTavishes-- they feel like silk all day.

16. Superfluous

Superfluous Senior member

He's that ---- that ran around like an idiot in the NFC championship game, right? Was he also the punter last year that punted to Desean Jackson and lost the game when he was told not to?

17. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

The 222 is he only one I can't wear comfortably, I tried Lombards and Van Ness. My absolute favorite last is the 5, though the 7 and 1 are right there too.

18. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

I'm going to try the #2 last today . . . I'm curious but not optimistic about the fit.

19. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

Yes and no.

He ran around screaming "we're going to the F'n Superbowl!!!!"

He did NOT punt to Desean Jackson last year. The Giants cut that punter and signed Weatherford this season. The guy is freakin' awesome - check out his stats in the NFC Championship game and Superbowl - he had a ton of punts inside the 20.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.