• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

aldenfan

Reaction score
IMO the flat welt is best suited for the dalton. The dalton is more of a dress boot, where as the dundee is more of casual boot. Not that the split welt looks bad, just that the flat welt looks better. Just my .02.

Thanks, I'm convinced with going flat welt and then hopefully will also get Dundees with split reverse welt as well.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

Thanks, I'm convinced with going flat welt and then hopefully will also get Dundees with split reverse welt as well.

Good choice!!

movoblast

Reaction score
I just purchased a pair of strands in Walnut and love the color. I got these firsts for $170. I am trying to transition from casual jeans/tshirt/clarks chukka boots to more business casual apparel since I am in a healthcare professional school and my professors are always encouraging us to dress more professionally when meeting with patients.

I ultimately want to own 3 pairs of nice shoes to rotate (one black, one dark brown, one lighter pair which I just bought). I LOVE the strand by FAR out of all the allen edmonds styles with broguing.

I originally planned on purchasing the McAllister for my dark brown pair and fifth avenues for my black pair. But I am now in a dilemma of buying a dark brown pair of strands (firsts) for the same price ($170) or waiting and buying the McAllister for 15% off during the Rediscover America sale. The fact that I could get the strands for a cheaper price than the mcallisters(which are my third favorite style) makes me want to jump on the deal.

I wouldn't mind having 2 out of my 3 pairs of shoes being in the same style. But do you think the general population would notice?

cincikid

Reaction score
Trying to figure out if the shell Strands eliminates the need for Elgins. Opinions?

I am leaning towards sending them back, but they were the last in stock in my size, so if I send them back, they are gone for good (though BB will presumably still be around).

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I just purchased a pair of strands in Walnut and love the color. I got these firsts for $170. I am trying to transition from casual jeans/tshirt/clarks chukka boots to more business casual apparel since I am in a healthcare professional school and my professors are always encouraging us to dress more professionally when meeting with patients.

I ultimately want to own 3 pairs of nice shoes to rotate (one black, one dark brown, one lighter pair which I just bought). I LOVE the strand by FAR out of all the allen edmonds styles with broguing.

I originally planned on purchasing the McAllister for my dark brown pair and fifth avenues for my black pair. But I am now in a dilemma of buying a dark brown pair of strands (firsts) for the same price ($170) or waiting and buying the McAllister for 15% off during the Rediscover America sale. The fact that I could get the strands for a cheaper price than the mcallisters(which are my third favorite style) makes me want to jump on the deal.

I wouldn't mind having 2 out of my 3 pairs of shoes being in the same style. But do you think the general population would notice?

If you truly want to own 3 pair of shoes my first suggestion is to delete your profile and forget you ever knew about this forum :)

cincikid

Reaction score
These were last months web gems. I know they'll cover, I just meant I don't think there are many extras since it's a one time run.

They're a Vibram sole if that changes why it could be happening.

I want to stop by the local store next week anyways, so I'll likely wear them that day and ask then if it hasn't gone away

74641576-C4E0-439C-B9D3-1AF51922B31C-3557-000001DFCE5AEA28_zps0ab041c2.jpg

I see. These look like the Sedonas. Are they much different? I'd give AE a call and check what they could do.
These shoes are likely made in the Dominican Republic and I doubt they are goodyear welted, but it's worth trying to call Port Washington.

cincikid

Reaction score

Many people on this forum, me including, might want to know where did you get walnut Strands in 1st quality for $170?

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
Trying to figure out if the shell Strands eliminates the need for Elgins. Opinions?

I am leaning towards sending them back, but they were the last in stock in my size, so if I send them back, they are gone for good (though BB will presumably still be around).

I wouldn't say the need is eliminated for the Elgins. IMO those shoes have two totally different uses. That being said, I don't like bals for casual use so I would just stick with the Strands.

ScottyBoy920

Reaction score

I ask myself the same question. My strands are Walnut though which make them even more similar.

cincikid

Reaction score
I ask myself the same question. My strands are Walnut though which make them even more similar.

I hear you, ScottyBoy. To complicate things further, these are the Elgins against the Yuketen Greg for End Clothing--a simillar looking cap toe Blucher in a darker shade of brown. Maybe I don't need Elgins after all?!

movoblast

Reaction score
I guess all of us are having similar issues. Cincikid, I got them at a local high end shoestore. To rydenfan, I plan on getting the basic 3 shoe colors down, then expanding on a "I MUST HAVE THEM OR I WILL DIE" basis.

GOP Shoe Guy

Reaction score
I checked with Allison, and the Imperial can not be made in MTO. They no longer have the die or last. To bad. She did say she would suggest passing along my idea to bring this back. I think they should do a webgem where they bring back some really old models that have not been available for years. That would be awesome. Maybe do a survey from dedicated customers like us here at SF to vote and determine a handful to bring back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics