• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

What is your opinion on split reverse welt on the Dalton? It looks pretty nice to me:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/141581/allen-edmonds-appreciation-thread/26490#post_6518113

But the normal flat welt also has a lot of appeal:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/141581/allen-edmonds-appreciation-thread/27420#post_6548549

I like how the flat welt looks elegant, but I also like how the split reverse seems to accentuate the fact it is a boot, and also seems to prevent the upper from looking "blobby".

Thoughts?

That is a pretty tough call. I see what you mean about the split welt making it look more boot-y. I am leaning towards the flat welt, tho. Maybe the split is too rugged looking for the Dalton...

AdamAdam

Reaction score
Does anyone know if you can use the 25% off tanger coupon towards a current cordovan shoe purchase?

By the way, can this coupon be used over the phone/email?

I've used it over the phone. The woman I spoke to asked me to forward my confirmation email from the donation with the link to the coupon. Not sure if that was necessary. She sounded unsure, but it worked.

aldenfan

Reaction score
That is a pretty tough call. I see what you mean about the split welt making it look more boot-y. I am leaning towards the flat welt, tho. Maybe the split is too rugged looking for the Dalton...

Yeah, I am kind of stuck :-\. I already have a Dalton in burgundy cordovan on the flat welt, but a cappuccino cordovan dalton boot is so awesome I don't want to make the wrong choice.

Looking at the photos online, it seems the Dalton would look more elegant on the flat welt. It also looks like the split reverse welt combined with the broqueing on the boot may be too distracting.

However, the split reverse welt highlights the chili color of the welt more and makes the boot more "boot" like. Also the split-reverse seems to come out further so that the welt is seen more and thus making the shoe seems less "blobby".

Anybody else able to weigh in?

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
I do love the chili split on my cappuccino Dundee...

Last edited:

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That is so sharp. You've got me very anxious for a status update but I don't want to bother Allison.

The welt looks great. I just wish the edge trim was a tad lighter. Though the pics I've seen of AE's natural edge trim have been too light. It doesn't seem like they have something like Alden's antique like on my Cigar PTB.

However, it certainly would be a simple DIY job to sand down the dark brown. If it didn't look right, it's easy to darken it back up.

Last edited:

aldenfan

Reaction score

Yeah, I really like the chili split on your Dundees tifosi. I am starting to wonder if the solution is to get split reverse Dundees and flat welt Daltons :-\. Is there a limit on orders?

cincikid

Reaction score
That is so sharp. You've got me very anxious for a status update but I don't want to bother Allison.

The welt looks great. I just wish the edge trim was a tad lighter. Though the pics I've seen of AE's natural edge trim have been too light. It doesn't seem like they have something like Alden's antique like on my Cigar PTB.

However, it certainly would be a simple DIY job to sand down the dark brown. If it didn't look right, it's easy to darken it back up.

Do you think I might change the black sole edge on my #8 PTB for BB? I'd much rather have it in "antique." I've seen people doing this in the Alden thread, but I am not sure whether I'd want to do it myself. B.Nelson?

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

I didn't want to go as light as natural, either. I'll save the antique edge for my Aldens. I have a few coming. I like these just the way they are.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

Yeah, I really like the chili split on your Dundees tifosi. I am starting to wonder if the solution is to get split reverse Dundees and flat welt Daltons :-\. Is there a limit on orders?

I would think you would only be limited by their cappuccino supply. Have at it!!!

I may be in for a fourth. Haven't decided yet. I will have Dundee, Leeds and MacNeil. I don't want bals or boots so I don't know what else I could get besides a loafer, maybe...Hmmm. I will be at the AE store tonight, so I'll get fitted for a loafer. Ya know...just in case...

ScottyBoy920

Reaction score
They look beautiful. The pic of the side view shows the coloration to be very warm and with much depth. You'll get many complements wearing them!

Thanks. They are quite stunning.

How do you suggest I keep the coloration in tact? I fear that using brown edge dressing will darken it. Should I go with Chili or Natural?

chuckb

Reaction score
As a heads-up to people, it seems like walnut dalton seconds are $199 for the upcoming sale, and the Jeffersonville shoe bank is honoring that price already. I called up Kristle and have a pair on its way to me! She was also very easy to deal with.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would think you would only be limited by their cappuccino supply. Have at it!!!

I may be in for a fourth. Haven't decided yet. I will have Dundee, Leeds and MacNeil. I don't want bals or boots so I don't know what else I could get besides a loafer, maybe...Hmmm. I will be at the AE store tonight, so I'll get fitted for a loafer. Ya know...just in case...

I picked these up a couple of weeks ago, Patriot in brown shell. I couldn't be happier. I've never had much luck with loafers. Slightly high instep & slightly wide feet caused problems. I tried sizing up by half and/or going to an E with no luck. On these, I went TTS and had the right shoe stretched for an hour and they fit fantastically. I spent a few days running through airports and never had a complaint.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

I picked these up a couple of weeks ago, Patriot in brown shell. I couldn't be happier. I've never had much luck with loafers. Slightly high instep & slightly wide feet caused problems. I tried sizing up by half and/or going to an E with no luck. On these, I went TTS and had the right shoe stretched for an hour and they fit fantastically. I spent a few days running through airports and never had a complaint.

Hmmmm. May have to look into the loafers.

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

This is exactly what I did.

My Dundees shipped yesterday. They should be very similar to tifosi except mine have a Dainite sole

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads