• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MacktasticGDogg

Reaction score
The "J Rendenbach" stamp is what's stamped on the soles of all AE shell cordovan shoes (unless it's an MTO where you specified something other than Rendenbach soles). The Horween stamp you are thinking of is probably the one found on the back of the shell cordovan leather itself. You would not see this in a shoe unless it's unlined on the inside.

Newer JR soles do have a Horween stamp on them as well (see Tifosi's pictures of his MTO's above).  That's just something they added more recently.  It has nothing to do with the authenticity of your cordovan shoes.  Besides, it is right at the ball of the foot, where it will wear off in no time anyway.

I stand corrected! I never even realized that my last pair of AE shells had the Horween stamp. As MWS noted, it disappears after a few wears anyway.

I had even taken a picture of the sole before, haha. Guess I shouldn't comment on stuff I don't really know about. :p

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I stand corrected! I never even realized that my last pair of AE shells had the Horween stamp. As MWS noted, it disappears after a few wears anyway.

I had even taken a picture of the sole before, haha. Guess I shouldn't comment on stuff I don't really know about. :p
Ahh, but it gave you an excellent excuse to post those gorgeous shoes again. :slayer:

cincikid

Reaction score
The "J Rendenbach" stamp is what's stamped on the soles of all AE shell cordovan shoes (unless it's an MTO where you specified something other than Rendenbach soles). The Horween stamp you are thinking of is probably the one found on the back of the shell cordovan leather itself. You would not see this in a shoe unless it's unlined on the inside.

J&R soles of my AE and Alden cordovans do feature the Horween stamp on the bottom.

cincikid

Reaction score
Newer JR soles do have a Horween stamp on them as well (see Tifosi's pictures of his MTO's above). That's just something they added more recently. It has nothing to do with the authenticity of your cordovan shoes. Besides, it is right at the ball of the foot, where it will wear off in no time anyway.

I think these days JR soles have the Horween stamp by default. I saw a pair of suede MacNeils made for the Freedman Sporting Club, and the soles did have a Horween stamp on them, which was absurd.

tietherope

Reaction score
I think these days JR soles have the Horween stamp by default. I saw a pair of suede MacNeils made for the Freedman Sporting Club, and the soles did have a Horween stamp on them, which was absurd.

Yup, saw this on Ebay.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

+1 I ordered a pair of white McNeils from Freemans because the sole had the Horween stamp. I knew they couldn't be shell, but I got them on sale and I gave it a shot. Obviously I got them and found them to be calf. I returned them and had a couple emails back and forth explaining to Freemans why their shoes show conflicting information. About 30 min. later, there was a disclaimer on the site saying although the sole bears the "Horween Cordovan" stamp the uppers are not made of shell cordovan.

OptoDoc

Reaction score
Those aren't C&J. Peal & Co. shoes are made by several manufacturers. Formerly they were made by both C&J and Alfred Sargent, distinguished by the rows of nails in the heel (C&J having one row, Alfred Sargent having two rows). I haven't seen an Alfred Sargent made Peal shoe in a while, so I don't know if they still use them or not. These suede boots are almost certainly Loake, who also makes shoes for branding with the Peal name. Brooks Brothers uses Loake to make the lower end, more cost effective models.

I was able to cancel the order before shipping them. I'll hold out for something that I know is of better construction quality.

Also, the sole edge was a bit darker than I'd like on a sand colored shoe.

Last edited:

OptoDoc

Reaction score
Sorry last post got messed up. These are my new Rutledge AE's

9966512983_13fdd43a9f_c.jpg

Gorgeous shoes. I will have a pair of these one day.

Side note: looks like you have the same vertical shoelace bow I mentioned a few weeks back.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

Gorgeous shoes. I will have a pair of these one day.

Side note: looks like you have the same vertical shoelace bow I mentioned a few weeks back.

Looks like the laces cross the wrong way on the first knot. My wife does this. Drives me nuts! haha

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
^^ Haha. My wife is a righty. If I say anything she makes me re-tie her shoes so I just live with it! LOL

SBear

Reaction score
Happy 2013 - year and pages of thread. This is an active group.

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yup, saw this on Ebay.

+1 I ordered a pair of white McNeils from Freemans because the sole had the Horween stamp. I knew they couldn't be shell, but I got them on sale and I gave it a shot. Obviously I got them and found them to be calf. I returned them and had a couple emails back and forth explaining to Freemans why their shoes show conflicting information. About 30 min. later, there was a disclaimer on the site saying although the sole bears the "Horween Cordovan" stamp the uppers are not made of shell cordovan.

The reason for this is because the JR soles are only offered as standard issue on cordovan shoes by Allen Edmonds. AE orders the soles pre-fabricated from JR with this stamp on them. JR soles don't automatically have this stamp, AE has to request it as part of their order from JR. There are other shoe manufacturers, cobblers, and shoe repair shops that offer JR soles as standard options. You won't find the Horween stamp on those.

When you order a shoe from AE with JR soles, they are borrowing parts from the cordovan shoe department, so to speak.

I agree that it creates needless confusion for some people, and it would be better if AE would order a supply of soles without the stamp.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads