1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LeviMay

LeviMay Senior member

Not the greatest pic, but I've been putting a bit of black polish on the toes amd heels of my burgundy McAllisters:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

My freshly paste waxed Cambridge I gave a sneak peek at last night. I'm happy with the results.

[​IMG]

3. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Senior member

4. BCer

BCer Senior member

I can say that when I received the Cronmoks, I was hugely disappointed, and had big-time buyer's remorse. But the way they look now, I wear them in regular rotation. You would hardly believe those pictures are of the same pair of shoes. I'm a firm believer in moisturizer on leather shoes now, that's for sure.

5. BCer

BCer Senior member

I should add, that while I was giving them their 'drink', they initially got that wet, almost black look, which is a bit disheartening...but the picture is proof how they quickly lightened up to a nice rich blue. I do think these got a real generous dose of AE Leather Lotion...of the options I suggested above. Don't be afraid! lol.

6. Xchange

Xchange Active Member

Question for you guys,

I'm looking between the Strandmok 9.5 D and the Randolph 9.5D

With my Strand, i wear them in 9.5E and they are in suede, and the McNeils in 9.5D

What is the best bet between those 2?

Thanks

7. Mark_Y

Mark_Y Senior member

I have the snuff Strand, the Kenwoods, and the Strandmok in Navy. I also have the Player's belt in Snuff suede on order. The Strand and Strandmok are on the same last and I take a 8D. However, the Kenwood I fit into an 8.5D, but probably should have went with an 8E. I'm not a big fan of Monk Straps, my next purchase will probably be the Rush Streets. Have fun with your kicks.

8. DJTraveler

DJTraveler Senior member

Decided to take the plunge on a pair of brown Fifth Streets from the current Shoebank boot sale. $149 was too hard to pass up for such a beautiful shoe that I can wear with a suit or slacks. I'll post pics when I receive them.

9. Xchange

Xchange Active Member

Thanks,

Well where i m not sure about the srandmok is they are unconstructed (not sure what does this mean) so i expect them to be a little bit more expendable on the front, where my feet is wider.

I tried to Franciscian in 9.5D and they where very tight in the wider section of my foot, resulting in hurt.

Or i have to go with the Strandmok 10D .. but not sure

10. eyeheartny

eyeheartny Well-Known Member

The Strandmok is built on the same last as the Strand (big surprise), except there is no leather lining. Unconstructed means there only the single layer of leather. That makes them flexible/lighter, but it may change the fit. Why didn't you go up to a 9.5E in the Franciscan? That last may not work for you, but honestly it sounds like you just need to go to a wider size. No big deal. AE has lots.

11. Xchange

Xchange Active Member

So if i understand correclty, the single layer of leather mean more room for the feet right?

The Franciscian are on my list, but... i was not an AE fan until last week... in 6days, i bought 4pairs of AE shoes...which is quite a lot :)

All of this because my old but comfy beater Lacoste boat where dead 2weeks ago...i had to buy new shoes... i went into a Clarks Store where
    i got a black winglet model, then got a wallnut Cole Haan loafer and found them comfy... and finally fall in love with 1 wallnut McNeils, 1 Strand suede chocolate and the brown kenwood...

I spent a lot on shoes those last weeks lol

But i love the Strandmok a lot... in same time, i need a black pair to add in my collection..

12. Mark_Y

Mark_Y Senior member

This is what I've found, but not a size difference worth.

The Strandmoks feel like slippers, they're a very comfortable and light.

13. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

It is amazing how different the AE photo of Rush St looks compared to real world photo's color wise - It is like they ran the photo through Photo-shops Auto Contrast filter...ah what the hell I am going to do that right now with a picture of the shoe from Ebay........I do have a pair of Rush st seconds on the way to me so will soon in person soon enough

Ebay picture
    [​IMG]

Allen Edmonds Picture

[​IMG]

Ebay picture through PhotoShop Autotone-autocontrast filter
    [​IMG]

14. Xchange

Xchange Active Member

Finally, i gave a call to AE asking if they had any Strandmok in 9.5 E left anywhere in store and only 1 pair where left in Wisconsin.

Next one need to be a black loaffer or the Wallnut Franciscian...

15. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

I love the walnut Franciscian...or the Mora 2 bourbon and I hated shoes with buckles only a few months ago...

16. budapest12

budapest12 Senior member

Am a noob to the thread so am sorry if this has been discussed already at length but AE's website pics are just god-awful, atrocious, hideously bad. Everything - or almost everything - looks FAR better IRL. I think that's why 2 of my 3 pairs of AE are from BB online --- the pictures were decent. They should really overhaul their site ASAP.

17. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

Oh yea...it's been discussed here! And I agree.

18. Mark_Y

Mark_Y Senior member

Wow, that's quite a difference. The eBay picture seems a bit dull. I've yet to see these shoes in person. There is only one AE store in the Phoenix area, and Nordstroms didn't have the Rush Street.

19. AdamAdam

AdamAdam Senior member

20. NWTeal

NWTeal Senior member

Real life pictures of golden brown CXL!

My MTO Promontory Point boots. I posted these in the MTO thread, but it's relevant here at the moment.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.