• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

cincikid

Reaction score
They look stunning!

On a related note, McAllister and Fifth Avenues are two AE's oldest models still in production. Not sure when they began making these styles, but they already appear in the early 1950s catalogues. MacNeil, by contrast, doesn't appear until 1962 or 1963.

SBear

Reaction score

Just as suspected- my MTO chili McAllisters arrived today!

Specs- chili calf, chili edge with light brown dressing, combo tap sole.

I really like them and think the burnishing on them looks great.

Can I get some thoughts?

They look beautiful. The pic of the side view shows the coloration to be very warm and with much depth. You'll get many complements wearing them!

Last edited:

stgrim

Reaction score
I can't decided which size is more appropriate for me on the 5-65 last (McAllister)

8.5E fits more snugly and securely but the lacing gap is wider than i'd like, whereas 8.5EE feels slightly too roomy in the toebox but has a more pleasant lacing gap.
Both shoes are brand new.

What do you think?

8.5E

8.5EE

SBear

Reaction score

I can't decided which size is more appropriate for me on the 5-65 last (McAllister)

8.5E fits more snugly and securely but the lacing gap is wider than i'd like, whereas 8.5EE feels slightly too roomy in the toebox but has a more pleasant lacing gap.
Both shoes are brand new.

What do you think?

Stop looking at them. Look up, walk around for a while, and go with the most comfortable pair.

cincikid

Reaction score
. Peal n Co is made crockett and jones. And is better than ae in any given day. You have scored a top bargain!

I doubt these chukkas are made by C&J. C&J chukkas retail at around &300, whereas Peal and Co are "mere" $290. I am pretty sure these are made by one of the lower-tier English makers: Loake or Sanders.

wurger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

With regard to other options in a black cap toe: The Harrison from AE is a great alternative for guys who don't like the short, round cap on the Park Ave. While I don't own this style, I do have one Independence Collection shoe, and it feels amazing!

anyone got real life photos of the harrison?

pomofo

Reaction score
Figured I might as well show off my collection. Bought my first pair after Christmas last year, up to 22 pairs right now. Not really any room in the house to position them all for a photo, so I had to make do. Trying to tell myself that I don't need any more shoes.

From left to right, back row: Brown Patriot; Brogue Suede Quinton; Brown Waxy Leather Long Branch; Burgundy Shell Dalton; Black Fifth Street.

5th row: Burgundy (or Merlot?) McAllister; Brown Strand; Brown Byron; Brown Park Avenue.

4th row: Bourbon McAllister; Walnut Strand; Chili Byron; Walnut Aniline Park Avenue.

3rd row: Brown/Linen Strawfut; Brown/Linen Carlsbad; Brown/Navy Mesh Strawfut.

2nd row: Sand Suede Player's Shoe; Charles Tyrwhitt Spectator; Black Patent Ritz.

1st row: Black McClain; Black Park Avenue; Black Park Avenue; Black Player's Shoe.

wohwoh

Reaction score
Is the Macneil brown burnished supposed to have leather soles? I just got my pair from the 2/$250 sale and mine came with rubber soles.

When I resole them, can I opt for leather soles? If so, will there be an extra charge?

charliebrown2

Reaction score
Figured I might as well show off my collection. Bought my first pair after Christmas last year, up to 22 pairs right now. Not really any room in the house to position them all for a photo, so I had to make do. Trying to tell myself that I don't need any more shoes.

From left to right, back row: Brown Patriot; Brogue Suede Quinton; Brown Waxy Leather Long Branch; Burgundy Shell Dalton; Black Fifth Street.

5th row: Burgundy (or Merlot?) McAllister; Brown Strand; Brown Byron; Brown Park Avenue.

4th row: Bourbon McAllister; Walnut Strand; Chili Byron; Walnut Aniline Park Avenue.

3rd row: Brown/Linen Strawfut; Brown/Linen Carlsbad; Brown/Navy Mesh Strawfut.

2nd row: Sand Suede Player's Shoe; Charles Tyrwhitt Spectator; Black Patent Ritz.

1st row: Black McClain; Black Park Avenue; Black Park Avenue; Black Player's Shoe.

nice collection. Two black park aves?

Last edited:

cincikid

Reaction score
Is the Macneil brown burnished supposed to have leather soles? I just got my pair from the 2/$250 sale and mine came with rubber soles.

When I resole them, can I opt for leather soles? If so, will there be an extra charge?

I believe your brown MacNeils are someone's rejected MTO. MacNeil in this particular color is not sold on the AE website. If this is the case, the customer must have opted for a rubber sole. You will be able to change it to any other sole down the road with no upcharge.

Michael Haines

Reaction score
My last MTO has shipped

Walnut Dundee
Cappuccino Leeds
Cappuccino bayfields this is the one just shipped

Dundee pass inspection first time
Leeds failed twice
Bayfields failed 3 times and before the shipped Allison looked over and had them redone a 4th time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads