Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jon Cheddar

Jon Cheddar Member

Has anyone done an MTO Kenilworth in shell? I would love a PTB that's a little sleeker than the Leeds (if I had $600 burning a hole in my pocket)

2. 850csi

850csi Senior member

Is there any discernible difference in leather/build quality between BB Park Aves and the AE version? The sole on the BBs is topy-ed leather right?

3. MacktasticGDogg

MacktasticGDogg Senior member

Someone posted a pair of MTO burgundy shell Kenilworths several pages ago.

I did a pair in walnut shell and liked the results a lot. I do wish I had requested wheeled sole edges for mine though.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. cincikid

cincikid Senior member

It's not a topy, but rather a V-tread rubber outsole that is stitched to the sole and not glued as topy.

5. 850csi

850csi Senior member

Ah gotcha. Is there any disadvantage to that? Will AE recraft the BB version?

6. spitshine123

spitshine123 Senior member

You are a god among men in this thread just for those makeups. Well done- I am supremely jealous

7. ScottyBoy920

ScottyBoy920 Senior member

I have been told multiple times that as long as the shoes are 360 degree Goodyear Welted, they will recraft them. I have not had any personal experience doing this though.

8. PlaceboFX

PlaceboFX Active Member

In addition to the V-tread sole, the BB version has a poron insole that's a little thicker than the normal AE leather insole. This changes the fit slightly (less room for your instep on a balmoral). Also, while some find the poron insole more comfortable, it will not usually last as long as the usual leather insole, negatively affecting shoe longevity.

Some people have also posted in this thread that the calfskin used is of lesser quality on the BB shoes as well, which could be a concern.

That said, I still picked up a pair of BB seconds for $149.00 in one of the sales these last few months. Great price for a Park Avenue on rainy days, even if it isn't as good as the original.

Edit: People have also posted replies from AE customer service saying that AE will recraft AE for BB shoes, replacing them with the original V-tread BB sole. Some have also reported being told AE won't recraft them, but their responses weren't usually as detailed (no email chain, etc.). If I had to bet, I'd wager on AE recrafting them. Even if not, I'm sure you can send them off to B. Nelson in NYC to have it done since they are Goodyear welted.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
  9. evolved

evolved Senior member

Huh, good to know. Maybe I'll switch my order to JR.

10. chinngiskhaan

chinngiskhaan Senior member

indeed it is my friend... Indeed it is![​IMG]

11. coolarrow

coolarrow Senior member

12. jch1

jch1 Senior member

Is it possible that I have my posts set to "hidden" or something similar? It isn't a big deal, but I always wonder why in this thread, my questions, comments, and pictures rarely receive any replies. For example, I posted all of the Rediscover America sales, but only one person responded. Is this sale just not a big deal?

13. Unregistered

Unregistered Senior member

It's a big deal, and I wanted to thank you for it! Just didn't want to clutter up the thread with a big quote and a thank you :)

Here it is! Thanks! I appreciate your posting the details of the sale!

But darn it! You're making me spend money. :satisfied:

14. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

I wouldn't take it personally. This thread can sometimes move so quickly and change subject even faster that posts just get buried.

15. 850csi

850csi Senior member

Thanks for the responses. I wonder if the calfskin is significantly inferior. Guess I'll have to see.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.