1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

I would ask the SA to open the box and check for quality. They handle seconds all day, they know what to look for. Of course everyone's tolerances are different but it should provide more of a guarantee.

2. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Exactly right, and don't feel shy about asking.

One of the JVille ladies volunteered to have a pair of shell PA sent from storage to the store so she could personally inspect them and send me a photo.

I've always had only the best service when dealing with Jeffersonville.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2014
  3. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

This was my first pair of AE's and I still think it is the nicest pair...It is one shoe that photo's do not do justice too. When I first got the shoe I left them out just to look at they were so striking. I have only rocked them in the house..also waiting for the warmer weather....Love the belt with it...may have to pick that up

1 person likes this.
  4. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

This was my first pair purchased of AE off the bay Winhall in Chili .. this is another pair that photo's do not seem to do justice too...though this photo does a pretty good job :) I have worn these several times and always receive compliments. Considering the Orleans, Winhall, Boca or Carlsbad in black for spring and summer

[​IMG]

5. pablot

pablot New Member

Thanks, I did try the company to see if there were black Jermyns and they could not find any in 11.5E. In the meantime I have ordered the Manchesters.

6. DNSamurai

DNSamurai Senior member

Gentlemen,

Just a heads up that www.MTOShoes.com is now live. Please add your MTO pics, specs, etc (doesn't have to be just AE either). We'll continue to work on adding features to the site.

2 people like this.
  7. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

Should I use shoe conditioner on my MCTAVISH natural leather(wax infused) shoes - I did wear them once and want to make sure they are treated properly. Really do not want them to darken any more so not sure what to do - Neutral polish? AE shoe conditioner? I just got my order of Neatsfoot oil, Obenaufs HDLP and Aussie Balm. Not sure if those are to harsh for the shoe or will darken it too much. I am not looking to make these weather proof like my long branches. Just want the leather to be taken care of right.

Is there another product to consider?

8. NickCarraway

NickCarraway Senior member

Very sharp! How breathable is the mesh - is it leather-lined or can air get right through?

9. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

I love my Chili Winhalls [​IMG] Chris

10. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

I use AE Cleaner Conditioner and AE Leather Lotion on my natural McTavish and have no noticeable color change.
    [​IMG]

Chris

11. thermals

thermals Well-Known Member

What's the consensus on AEs monk straps? In the market for a pair, probably used, but wasn't sure what the lowdown is.

12. Rene_Lahm

Rene_Lahm Senior member

Absolutely, I haven't gone through the process, but I would try to make sure they look into what I'm going to receive. That being said, i'd never expect something like that get overlooked. Or in this case, not looked at, at all.

13. FreedBird

FreedBird Senior member

If you told me AE was making a captoe tassel loafer last year I could have told you it was going very quickly to the clearance section without even seeing the shoe... when I first saw the Jermyns I judged the shoes to be an ugly mash-up of many different styles that don't belong anywhere near each other. However, that said you actually pull this off brilliantly and while I don't think I will be purchasing a pair anytime soon, it has changed my opinion of this style. Good work.

14. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

Thanks - I will use those two products on mine also then..

15. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

Also happy to note that I own a pair of Chromexcel shoes...Did not realize the Sebago's hand sewn in USA were of that leather until cleaning just for kicks I ran my finger under the tongue like that video posted a while back and the white line appeared. Checked Sebago website and low and behold they are Chromexcel, wow that leather can go from looking crappy to beautiful in just a few coats of AE leather cleaner/conditioner.

Going to have to consider an AE Chrome pair now.

I wonder if there is a way to order any leather color from Horween through AE for shoes - looking at all the diff. color combos on the Horween Sebago's has me drooling on putting those on some AE shoes.

16. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

1 person likes this.
  17. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Great work, Mike, thanks for doing that!

Just want to add navy to calfskin colors, burgundy to the Indy leathers, smokey grey to distressed, and the suede options (black, olive, snuff, sand, white nubuck, dark navy, lighter navy, there may be others).

18. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

Terrific, thanks. I will update. :)

19. bradybot

bradybot Active Member

[​IMG]

I wanted to show off my Bradleys in chili. These are about 15 years old, with two recraftings.

20. Buddy0329

Buddy0329 Senior member

Looking to buy a new pair of 1sts perhaps as early as this week. Here's my dilemma, I don't know what to buy! At first I was considering something more casual likr Rush Street and perhaps the Fairmount in CXL since I don't have too many options for bad weather days. However I started to reconsider it.

Now I'm considering the following: Chocolate Daltons vs Burgundy Cambridges. Here's the rub, I already have cordovan Dalton's and I already have merlot McAllisters. In boots I also have Alden Indy's in Kudu with lug soles, plus AE Long Branches. In Oxfords I have Strands, Park, Aves, and McAllisters is various colors.

My only cordovan shoes are my burgundy Daltons and brown Patriots. I don't wear suits to work; wool slacks and button down shirts, no ties.

Any recommendations?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.